New 2019 BMW S1000RR: Rumour, Gossip and Intrigue...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you still get the forged wheel option or is it carbon wheels only? Did I see both options previously? Smaller tank is not a good thing for me :-(

Oh feck. There?s a tall seat option. [emoji51]
?????????????????????????????
BTW. Is it me, or is Hill Hold for people who can?t use their clutch and rear brake at the same time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thought the exact same thing when I read it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think we're looking at 20k base and 30k with ALL the M Options.

I suspect your right. That said I certainly won?t be bothering with a lot of the BMW aesthetic options and levers etc this time. I will be waiting for the new alpha Racing parts catalogue to be released instead.

Oh feck. There?s a tall seat option. [emoji51]
?????????????????????????????
BTW. Is it me, or is Hill Hold for people who can?t use their clutch and rear brake at the same time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've already ordered the tall seat for the demo :D

Already been here?
c07b982df338.jpg

BMW Shiftcam = Variable Valve Technology.
Hang on, does this mean that the new one has real variable valve timing? Or does this mean something different? I?d be very interested to know how this version works if so, the Suzuki version seems to be the simplest and most effective version to date. If BMW have a similar system then this could be a game changer imo. I was considering a new gen3 but My local dealer say they?re all sold out. I may have to reconsider my finances for one of these.. It?s looking very tempting...must resist!

Hang on, does this mean that the new one has real variable valve timing? Or does this mean something different? I’d be very interested to know how this version works if so, the Suzuki version seems to be the simplest and most effective version to date. If BMW have a similar system then this could be a game changer imo. I was considering a new gen3 but My local dealer say they’re all sold out. I may have to reconsider my finances for one of these.. It’s looking very tempting...must resist!

I believe the trick with the GSXR is that it's an entirely passive system (centrifugal force) and so it's legal under WSBK rules. If the BMW system is not passive it will have to be deleted for racing which would be daft. Anyone looked up the tech behind the BMW VVT?

I believe the trick with the GSXR is that it's an entirely passive system (centrifugal force) and so it's legal under WSBK rules. If the BMW system is not passive it will have to be deleted for racing which would be daft. Anyone looked up the tech behind the BMW VVT?

From what I gather, the Shift Cam system is not passive like the GSXR centrifugal system.
On the GS, they say it is based on throttle opening in addition to engine RPM, which would imply it is an active system

- Oli

just found it:

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2019-bmw-r1250gs-shiftcam-variable-valves-vvt/

It looks like the new S1 will have a stepped cam so that the ECU has a choice of 2 profiles. It’s a good thing, but not variable valve timing, more a hot cam option. Good point about passive timing, obvs the ideal would be ECU controlled via a stepper motor or something, but that will have to wait for the rules to catch up..?

Yep and crucially ?the Shiftcam system responds to the position of the throttle. An actuator and shift gate moves the intake cam sideways and engages a different profile. Lower amounts of right-wrist action will use the less aggressive profile with reduced lift, where as giving it the beans will shift to a more aggressive cam with more lift, unlocking more power.? Not passive at all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back