New 2019 BMW S1000RR: Rumour, Gossip and Intrigue...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the reviews in my opinion are down to the way the power is delivered. The bike has a mega stable power delivery almost like an electric motor which feels slow because it doesn't have the kick in the back. Its why its already doing so well in racing even though it's still on the stock engines. I remember thinking that lots of people would not be impressed when I took the Bahnstormers demo out but once I started pushing it the thing was amazing.
Ive heard that said alot about them doing well in racing.
Race bikes are derestricted so how does that compare.
The bike i tested in the showroom felt like what the americans are saying.
Very flat until your up top in the revs.

HI, I took Vines Guildford's Sport out for the afternoon saturday. Very impressed. The main thing that struck me was the steering, it's as if they've removed the need to counter steer. It makes the bike feel so, so light and flickable. I'd say they've reduced the fork offset which also helps corner exit but holding it's line. Compared to my well sorted Gen 3.

Pros: A fair bit more torque from 4K, Steering as mentioned above, riding position, bike feels slimmer, TFT Screen is lovely, better mirrors, Electronic safety aids far harder to kick in.
Cons: Gearbox slow, stiff and impossible to find neutral with engine running, more vibration, less MPG, Brakes good feel but I'd say they'd fade on track.

But it's the steering that did it for me..... telepathic.

HI, I took Vines Guildford's Sport out for the afternoon saturday. Very impressed. The main thing that struck me was the steering, it's as if they've removed the need to counter steer. It makes the bike feel so, so light and flickable. I'd say they've reduced the fork offset which also helps corner exit but holding it's line. Compared to my well sorted Gen 3.

Pros: A fair bit more torque from 4K, Steering as mentioned above, riding position, bike feels slimmer, TFT Screen is lovely, better mirrors, Electronic safety aids far harder to kick in.
Cons: Gearbox slow, stiff and impossible to find neutral with engine running, more vibration, less MPG, Brakes good feel but I'd say they'd fade on track.

But it's the steering that did it for me..... telepathic.
The thing is why dont all bikes have the same steering?
Its only a matter of simple numbers.
Rake and trail. Offset and a decent steering damper.
The reason is because with flickibility comes lack of feel and rider feedback through the corners.
For average joe this will not be a problem but for faster guys who like the feedback it can be an issue.
Its a trade off. But yes its really nice and easy to steer

It's actually a lot more complicated than just numbers. You only have to read Neil Spalding's book on MotoGP to get an insight in to how complicated it all is. 0.5mm here, a few grams there. The MotoGP guys spend 10's of millions trying to find that magical feel. I think the front end of the 2019 feels the same as the front end of a Gen 3 with 28mm offset and the 2D Sensor to allow more rebound.

To be honest, even in this day and age, it can be also a bit of luck when everything comes together that it feels right.

It's also just simple choice. I think the BMW sits nicely in the middle. The Panigale is very sensitive and gets lots of head shake. The Yamaha is the opposite and on rails.

Agree too.
For me the best front end feel was with Aprilia. Did back to back testing against new RR and immediately felt a difference. That was with Bridgestones in the RR.

Minor but noticeable difference.
Then after with Michelin’s on the RR track day as well I got better feel. This tire is harder than the previous or Pirellis. Closer to Aprilia.
Then my choice was clear: RR

I am not a racing driver, just another enthusiast enjoying track days and winding roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's also just simple choice. I think the BMW sits nicely in the middle. The Panigale is very sensitive and gets lots of head shake. The Yamaha is the opposite and on rails.
Wow there such a variety of thoughts and opinions on all these bikes so i guess its a personal feeling.
The r1 in my eyes is as standard not very stable.
The steering damper isnt man enough.
The first thing i did when i got my r1 was the ohlins damper.
That helped alot.
Then longer wheelbase and stiffer rear spring and thats improved it more.
Ive never ridden panigale unfortunately but the numbers say it should be about the same as the r1 all be it with more power up top so that would make it flighty.
Interestingly enough the one that everyone says has the best front end feel is the aprilia.
If you read the numbers on that they are the opposite to the bmw and the gsxr.
I rode all of them and i got not as much feel from bmw and the gsxr tried to kill me a few times on a short test ride

Wow there such a variety of thoughts and opinions on all these bikes so i guess its a personal feeling.
The r1 in my eyes is as standard not very stable.
The steering damper isnt man enough.
The first thing i did when i got my r1 was the ohlins damper.
That helped alot.
Then longer wheelbase and stiffer rear spring and thats improved it more.
Ive never ridden panigale unfortunately but the numbers say it should be about the same as the r1 all be it with more power up top so that would make it flighty.
Interestingly enough the one that everyone says has the best front end feel is the aprilia.
If you read the numbers on that they are the opposite to the bmw and the gsxr.
I rode all of them and i got not as much feel from bmw and the gsxr tried to kill me a few times on a short test ride

How did the GSXR try to kill you? I’ve ridden the new one in anger and like it a lot.

The Aprilia RSV4 has definitely got the best front end which is why I bought one over a new R1M in 2017

GSXR1000R is a fantastic bit of kit, brakes aren’t that good admittedly but otherwise I couldn’t fault mine, I don’t understand that comment either?

GSXR1000R is a fantastic bit of kit, brakes aren’t that good admittedly but otherwise I couldn’t fault mine, I don’t understand that comment either?

Agree, I can't fault my gixer. Hoses,fluid and pads and they've been great for me. Only issue I had with brakes was In portimao this year. Was unsafe to ride and lost half the last day. Dealer couldn't find anything other than the calipers needed a good clean, which did the trick on my next outing.

How did the GSXR try to kill you? I’ve ridden the new one in anger and like it a lot.

The Aprilia RSV4 has definitely got the best front end which is why I bought one over a new R1M in 2017
I took it for a test ride and the handling was very nervous. It kept tying itsself in knots and nearly threw me off at about 90mph. It felt like it had radical geometry with a less than useless steering damper. Just hated riding it. Took it straight back and told them they could keep it.
I was convinced i would be buying it from all the reviews of it until i rode it.
It has potential as its a grunty motor and most of the problems could be rectified with cash but at the time i would have been stretching my budget just to buy one without having to spend loads on modifying it.
They cheap now though.

The brakes are unforgivable on the 2016 on gsxr. They work well but the suzuki abs system means half a lever of travel before they bite and a dissconnected feel.
But im sure ditching abs and fitting straight lines would cure that.

RR come with Metzeler, Michelin and sometimes Bridgestones.

From those I prefer the Michelin’s they are closer to my favorite tire: the Dunlop, be the 212 or the Sportsmart TT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back on to the s1000rr topic can i ask if anyone has ridden the base model with standard suspension? Id love to try one without ddc

I took it for a test ride and the handling was very nervous. It kept tying itsself in knots and nearly threw me off at about 90mph. It felt like it had radical geometry with a less than useless steering damper. Just hated riding it. Took it straight back and told them they could keep it.
I was convinced i would be buying it from all the reviews of it until i rode it.
It has potential as its a grunty motor and most of the problems could be rectified with cash but at the time i would have been stretching my budget just to buy one without having to spend loads on modifying it.
They cheap now though.

Never experienced what you describe, I did several laps of the TT course on mine (2 up!) at rather more than 90mph and it was sublime. What bikes have you been riding before?

Back