New 2019 BMW S1000RR: Rumour, Gossip and Intrigue...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He mentioned in the video they have moved the engine to the left by 5mm to offset the 'pulling to the right' so many people experience (myself included). First time I've seen/heard anything acknowledging this phenomenon...
He explains that the reason for this is because of the way they have moved the engine/swingarm position in the new bike, different to the gen 3. If my gen 3 did this I would definitely be expecting something amiss; rear wheel adjusters out of line or front forks out of line?

He explains that the reason for this is because of the way they have moved the engine/swingarm position in the new bike, different to the gen 3. If my gen 3 did this I would definitely be expecting something amiss; rear wheel adjusters out of line or front forks out of line?

There were a load of "Right Turn Assist" threads on the Gen3. On cruise, hands off the bars they tend to turn right.
Some found removing the exhaust fixed it (lighter end can). Some were not sitting straight and weighting the pegs evenly. Some might have been the rear wheel alignment.

Sounds like they found they had to shift things around on the Gen4 with is 100% new engine and swingarm, to avoid similar/worse.

I asked this at the show on Sunday.

The standard setting is damping (combined) if you want to separate the compression and rebound damping, you still need the 2D sensor, so I will be keeping mine :)

The new Marzocchi forks use a cartridge as other manufactureres do, the shims can be adjusted as any other shim stack.

The DDS is 'paralell' to the cartridge, this means it can be treated separately, whereas in the current '15-'18 models the DDS is in 'series', he also said that the current DDS uses minimum and adds whereas the new one uses maximum damping and subtracts dynamically, it therefore improves the response on the track and corrects the 'dead' feel that some complain about.

I got all this from Josef Maechler who is the S1000RR Product Manager for Euroope

I also asked about the 2D GPS lap trigger, this will also still be needed if you want automatic lap timing, I believe the existing one will fit, or we may need a different adapter cable, I have asked for clarification from BMW.

Could you explain the datalogger a bit for a thicko please?
So I'll need to buy something extra to fit to the bike so it does it automatically times laps whilst on tract, is that right?

How is the data accessed, phone app?

The 2015 I have had timing built in, but you have to trigger the lap manually, with the headlamp flash button, or you can buy the 2D GPS Lap trigger, which I have, it has 300 Circuits already loaded and automatically knows where in the world it is,therefore you get your lap times on the dash, plus split laps, fastest sector etc.

This should work on the 2019 as well apparently [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still not sure if we're talking the HP Datalogger or the 2D GPS trigger or something new.

If its the old datalogger, they have added a layer of comms with the dash which was, curiously, missing previously. There was no good reason it couldn't log the data and provide the lap trigger for the dash.

- Alex

The data logger is different, you can buy the data logger and interface it with a PC, it gives you access to a lot of data, more for a pro race team unless you can do data analysis.

I always thought the 2d solution was a bit crap. You need the laptrigger to see live laptimes, and the datalogger to store the data. Other solutions like Aim combine both in one unit which just makes sense.

Yes, I know there are other options e.g. PZ or AIM but I went with the 2D and I like it, hoping it will work on the 2019, I was advised be Sepp Maechler that it ?may need a different cable?.

Seems like the 2D front suspension sensor will also transfer, along with my Brembo GP4 RX callipers and RCS 18 m/c apart from that, nothing else will fit from the gen 3

The 2015 I have had timing built in, but you have to trigger the lap manually, with the headlamp flash button, or you can buy the 2D GPS Lap trigger, which I have, it has 300 Circuits already loaded and automatically knows where in the world it is,therefore you get your lap times on the dash, plus split laps, fastest sector etc.

This should work on the 2019 as well apparently [emoji4]

Thanks, so where can I buy one of these magic devices?!

He mentioned in the video they have moved the engine to the left by 5mm to offset the 'pulling to the right' so many people experience (myself included). First time I've seen/heard anything acknowledging this phenomenon...
Well its funny this as i was only talking to my dad at the weekend about the gen3 pulling to 1 side when you take your hands off the bars. He remembered his did it too. The reason we both found this out is trying out the cruise control and taking your hands off the bars. It wont go in a straight line

The new 'M' (2D) Datalogger listed in the BMW Press Release, and pictured below, is rumoured to work as both a laptrigger and datalogger.

IMG_3373.JPG

It wasn't totally clear if Comp and Reb were separate...my impression was that it still isn't, without a 2D Sensor.

The vid shows the front compression and rebound combined - same as it is currently.

Yeah same as I saw. Maybe the new system doesn't need it but seems odd for such a premium bike they still haven't separated the two from factory now they have re-done the whole system and with a new partner.
Especially now as we apparently will have some option about disabling DDC and using the 'manual' adjusters like conventional forks when we want to, if I understood the video correctly...

But I've just realised this way opens to door for selling extra bits and pieces...maybe that's all it is...

I asked this at the show on Sunday.

The standard setting is damping (combined) if you want to separate the compression and rebound damping, you still need the 2D sensor, so I will be keeping mine :)

@cobo as per above
2D pot sensor required.

- Alex

Back