New 2019 BMW S1000RR: Rumour, Gossip and Intrigue...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading the initial press reports it?s disappointing that it was a wet track launch.

The Vid Alex put up gives a real good description. Ats activated at 9000 rpm. Its activated by revs only. At 9000 rmp the solenoid drops the pin which moves the cam. The solenoid then picks up the pin as its job is done - the cam has shifted. On the way down the rev range the same thing happens but the cam shifts to the lower profile. The pin is only used during the shift at 9000 rpm - any other time the solenoid is holding the pin up out of the way.

There is no way,other than electronically,that the valve can operate on revs alone.As it's not moving,how does it know what revs it's doing?
However,I think the regs stipulate that no variable valve timing(other than fully mechanical)is permitted.
On this system,the valve timing is not variable(IMO).

There is no way,other than electronically,that the valve can operate on revs alone.As it's not moving,how does it know what revs it's doing?
However,I think the regs stipulate that no variable valve timing(other than fully mechanical)is permitted.

Does anyone have a link to the rule?
I would expect it to be compliant because the commentators have mentioned it during the WSBK weekend...not in depth but mentioned it had Shift Cam...Baz it right it's cam switching/phasing not variable.

Good point - what I meant was its "only" the revs that activate it where as with the GS version its a combination of revs and throttle opening, I believe. What I did pick up from the MCN report is they never got to test the shift cam - even on a wet track the bike was never below 9000 rpm!

I checked briefly yesterday and from what I could understand it seemed like it was allowed because it was a mechanical system with only an electronic acctuator:

2.4.3.8 Control Systems1. The use of hydraulic and/or pneumatic pressurized powered systemsis not allowed, with the exception of cylinder inlet/exhaust valvesprings in the MotoGP class. All hydraulic systems on the motorcyclemust be powered only by the rider?s manual inputs with the followingclarifications:? Normal hydraulic hand/foot controls such as master/slave cylindersfor brakes/clutch are allowed.
? Pneumatic engine valve closing systems are allowed in the MotoGPclass only.
? Oil/water pumps for engine lubricating/cooling are allowed.
? The use of engine lubricating oil for any purpose other thanlubrication and cooling (such as powered hydraulic systems) is notallowed.
2. Variable valve timing and variable valve lift systems, driven by hydraulicand/or electric/electronic systems are not permitted.

3. ECU and IMUa) Hardware

i) The exclusive use of the official MotoGP Electronic ControlUnit (ECU), with no modifications or additions, is mandatoryfor all machines.FIM World Championship Grand Prix Regulations
87 update 22 February 2019MotoGPOnly this specific type of official MotoGP ECU may be used,and any ECU used on a MotoGP machine at a GP event mustbe registered with the Technical Director.
ii) The connection of any devices to/from this ECU must follow the diagram ?MotoGP ECU Connections?. Refer to theAppendix, MotoGP: Fig.2
iii) The use of any additional device or module to modify thesignals sent from the ECU to the actuators is forbidden. All engine management systems including injectors, bypass systems, variable intake systems, ignition, valves (including timing system and exhaust) must be operated exclusively by the original and unmodified ECU signal. The use of ?power modules?* is allowed, where the logic signal comes unmodified from the ECU, and the electric power may come from another source.* A power module is defined as a module that has only: ? an electric power input ? an input from a MotoGP ECU ? a power output to an actuator

Last edited:
Hi everyone. We'll be piling lots of miles on the new S1000RR this year. I'm running one as a long term test bike as well as racing one over the summer. We've also got a group test planned soon (when it eventually arrives). I've been testing and racing S1000RRs for the past nine years and the new one couldn't feel more different. If anyone needs any info during the year, just contact me on twitter (@neevesy33) or drop me an email ([email protected]). Cheers. Michael Neeves, MCN.

I hope its just the videos from the launch that don't pick up the engine note very well - but none of them so far have the poping and banging from the exhaust on closed throttle I so dearly love about my Gen 3

Hi everyone. We'll be piling lots of miles on the new S1000RR this year. I'm running one as a long term test bike as well as racing one over the summer. We've also got a group test planned soon (when it eventually arrives). I've been testing and racing S1000RRs for the past nine years and the new one couldn't feel more different. If anyone needs any info during the year, just contact me on twitter (@neevesy33) or drop me an email ([email protected]). Cheers. Michael Neeves, MCN.
Welcome! Lovely to have your input. Are you continuing with Prime Factors this year?

- Alex

Yep, I'll be with them doing a handful of races in the UK with Thundersport and Bemsee, plus a couple of European endurance races. It'll be a late start, though!

I didn't notice any of those lovely pops on track, but it might be more obvious at road speeds.

I didn't notice any of those lovely pops on track, but it might be more obvious at road speeds.

I take it no one has yet experienced one with an Akra (or similar) system fitted? Can't really compare with the racers and their tune.

Hi Michael, welcome. Would there be any mileage (cough) in you having your own thread on here as you get on with the new bike or would that contravene your journo paymasters? A few guys have found it a great way to document the ownership experience instead of the here now/gone tomorrow social media options. Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Last edited:
On a side note, did the new s1krr end up with" audible " tc in the end? I know there was talk of it pre launch?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back