New 2019 BMW S1000RR: Rumour, Gossip and Intrigue...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By Matt Wildee Former MCN Senior Editor
He was fired later that day?
Huh?
-
Gotta say, the tech going into flexing the rear swing-arm sounds interesting. Am I right in thinking it twists to a slightly more upright angle when being stressed? Coz that's flipping clever if so.

Last edited:
Doesn't he mean an increase of lateral tyre contact patch..'?

'Secondly, the way they flex allows a reduction of lateral tyre contact patch movement during flex'

Last edited:
Doesn't he mean an increase of lateral tyre contact patch..'?

'Secondly, the way they flex allows a reduction of lateral tyre contact patch movement during flex'
I took "reduction of lateral tyre contact patch movement during flex" to mean the wheel is more upright. Might be wrong, and the bike has less tyre contact and is more likely to crash, Lol.

I figured he was trying to say the 'flex' characteristics made the contact patch on the side of the tyre more consistent. But instead I fear he just quoted BMW...

Yeah seems a mis-quote to me? When the bike is cranked over at extreme angle the suspension doesn't work so we want the flex in the frame and swingarm to act like suspension.

I saw a video saying you can buy a m sport adjustable seat. I thought it as being a seat with adjustment to set the height higher or lower. Who knows.
But ive just been put off by them rake and trail numbers. Thats radical numbers. Im struggling with the gen3 numbers at present so that could put me off getting one. I will have to test ride one in april

I saw a video saying you can buy a m sport adjustable seat. I thought it as being a seat with adjustment to set the height higher or lower. Who knows.
But ive just been put off by them rake and trail numbers. Thats radical numbers. Im struggling with the gen3 numbers at present so that could put me off getting one. I will have to test ride one in april
More stable and more nimble with weight moved forwards does sound terrible!! [emoji14]

- Alex

Rake and trail stability will never change.
Its always been the same.
Bigger rake and trail equals more stability and more feel but harder to turn.
Lesser numbers means quicker changes of direction but lack of front end feel.
Front end feel is what the gen3 doesnt have enough of so im a bit put off.
But i will try it none the less just incase bmw have managed to reinvent the wheel.
On track it may be ok at high speeds but im guessing on the road its only going to be worse than gen3.

...Front end feel is what the gen3 doesnt have enough of so im a bit put off.
But i will try it none the less just incase bmw have managed to reinvent the wheel.
On track it may be ok at high speeds but im guessing on the road its only going to be worse than gen3.
Very interesting. Thanks U

I'm interested to see how the frame effects the front end feel. Last week in Portimao was the first time I've really used the bike on track in anger and it already feels way more front end biased than anything else I've rode but I didn't have much confidence in it because of lack of feel like you say. It was rock solid on the front and never gave me any reason to be concerned but it took me a while to start pushing it since I couldn't really feel what it was doing. Michael Laverty and his brothers were at the track running a race school that I originally booked in for before getting injured and I chatted briefly to him about it. He was saying it's because of the stiff box section on front of the chassis, the release blurb looks like they are addressing this with the new construction methods.

Went to the bike show today. Sat on the RR, popped in to work and put down a deposit.

Other than being new, different and shiny, with new toys to play with, overriding impression was how much easier it was to grip the tank with my knees.

Went to the bike show today. Sat on the RR, popped in to work and put down a deposit.

Other than being new, different and shiny, with new toys to play with, overriding impression was how much easier it was to grip the tank with my knees.

Good to know. Was that down to design of the tank, or height /seating position?

I'm interested to see how the frame effects the front end feel. Last week in Portimao was the first time I've really used the bike on track in anger and it already feels way more front end biased than anything else I've rode but I didn't have much confidence in it because of lack of feel like you say. It was rock solid on the front and never gave me any reason to be concerned but it took me a while to start pushing it since I couldn't really feel what it was doing. Michael Laverty and his brothers were at the track running a race school that I originally booked in for before getting injured and I chatted briefly to him about it. He was saying it's because of the stiff box section on front of the chassis, the release blurb looks like they are addressing this with the new construction methods.

Great info, it will be interesting to ride.

I'm going tomorrow, so excited to see it in the flesh.

Just been to bike show too.
Personally in the flesh i wasnt that impressed with the look of the bike.
Actually appeared a bit cheaper looking than gen3.
Nice riding position. Slightly shorter reach and slightly lower bars i believe.
It doesnt grab your attention like some of the competition does.
Anyone know what the levers are made out of? They look and feel like plastic.
The engine was on display. Its awsome and small.
The shift cam looks very complicated.
Not sure what the life span of the camshaft will be but it seems to me like it could cause issue in the future.
The cassette gearbox looks very well made.

Back