Good walk well and truly spoilt!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wull

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I really hate golf at times. Over the last 3-4 weeks I?ve played a lot of matchplay golf and my game has started to click into place, hitting it really well, touch around the greens has been spot on etc.

Yesterday was the last medal of the season, I was feeling good, I played faultless golf for 9 holes, tee to green was spot on and any green that I had just missed I was up and down easily for the par. I never even made any putts over 5ft, never had any. 3 birdies on the trot were all within 5ft.

out in 30 -3...........then total meltdown destruction! Not entirely sure what happened, but 9 off the tee on the 10th led me to a 12! Wow! Never in my life. That put me in a mood that caused back to back bogeys, a silly short putt missed on 12 purely because my mind was gone. 13 was a mess which led to the NR, normality resumed on 14 with a shot to 3ft, putt made for the birdie then a horrendous tee shot on 15 led to me walking in......?f#%k this shit?!!!!!

Absolutely raging, back to the drawing board, forget about it and move on. Positives are good, plus I?ve got to the only person to have went -3 for 9 then NR, can?t be many that have done that.

Many more rounds to be played, hopefully less of the meltdown stuff though.

AFB18687_D0_CF_404_E_B0_A4_8_EE8765_BB01_F.png

thats golf. lol that 12 is a killer. i hate it when you have a good round and a 7 pops in there somehow.lol. ive not played much over the summer as bikes take over. i then play all winter and handicap drops until spring then it all goes to shit again. never had -3 over first 9. best ive managed is 9 pars and 3 birdies in a round.

p.s. plenty of meltdowns to come.lol

Last edited:
Lol. Wull, your threads on your ‘bad’ golf take the piss. I had one of my best rounds this week of 83 (+11), no birdies, just pars and a few drops here and there. Admittedly it was my 3rd round this year, and havent played much at all for about 6 years.

Haha, well I suppose it’s all relative, what might be bad for one will be good for another.

As usual I’ll forget about it and move on in a few days, after I’ve mentioned it 482 times lol!

Wull, I feel your pain but Matchplay golf is a game that can be won or lost before a ball is struck, in my 30's I was very, very serious about the game and regularly played with pro's who I did beat on a few good occasions. I really wanted to see if I could make it to the next level as some of my playing partners, Jimmy White and James White were playing plus handicaps, Jimmy Snr was playing off +6 at his best as an Amateur and his son was +3 out of Lundin Links.

I booked myself onto a 3 week course at David Leadbetters Academy at Championsgate Florida and every day I would send the Wife and kids to some marvellous destination and I would go and hit hundreds of balls in unbelievable temperatures for hours at a time. The lessons had the desired effect and I dropped from a 5 Hcp to 3 and was felling indestructible. I dispatched a Scottish Internationalist in the Leven Thistle Club Champs 1/4 final and got to the semis at the Dukes club St.Andrews.

Then for no good reason my game collapsed in the space of a few days and it took 18 months to even be able to hit the ball straight............. My friends were in as much shock as I was at the collapse.

Then I read a few sports psychology books relating to golf and how to think yourself to a better game, like yourself physically nothing had changed but analysis and lack of good nutrition throughout a round were the key areas that I had neglected.

I would suggest getting a book like that and give it a read and practice the focussing techniques, I guarantee they will benefit yourself, your story of being 3 up with 3 to play a few weeks back and throwing it away I can really relate to as in the Lindsay Shield at St. Andrews I was 5 down with 5 to play and got a square game, due entirely down to mental stubbornness.

Your obvious love of the game and passion shows through in your posts and I am sure you would like any golfer do anything that would improve your game.

I have only played one game this year, luckily it was on the New at St. Andrews and as well as a handful of bogeys I got 4 birdies and won the sweep........... this happened NOT because I WAS the best golfer that day but because I BELIEVED I was the best.

I really hope you get to the root of why this is happening but in the meantime just remind yourself that your front nine is why you play golf. If you ever want to have a game I think I might be ready to put a few more rounds in and would more than welcome you and a guest to Leven and I will make up a fourball.

You've piqued my interest enough that I have dug out the books that helped me, I know you are no Faldo fan but as an opponent in a mental exchange he was hard to beat, his Ryder cup record and Matchplay championships speak for themselves, or you can ask Greg Norman (Whom I named my son after), Paul Azinger, Scott Hoch or Nick Price, they all came out in second place when Faldo really put his mind to it.

Hope I've not babbled on too much but like you, I at one point in my life lived for golf.

e76bf0e1d57ddbb043220bfe2e55c05b.jpg

76daf1d3f2e1a5a1a20d9bb728be65c5.jpg

b54fa698c7feb9e932a062f146b3a8a6.png

Not quite as slim as you Wull, lol.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
Great post Jimmy, I’m actually a fan of Faldo. One of my earliest memories was of the 96 Masters, unbelievable to watch. The books could help, worth a try.

Tbh my game this year has been terrible until the last 4-6 weeks, it’s as if it all clicked.

My Golfing career has been a funny one, started playing in 1995/6 and stopped in 1999 aged 13. In that time I had got down to 5, played for the Stirling County and Scottish Boys, qualified for the Weetabix Championship finals and been number 1 qualifier for the Bank of Scotland boys championships where the final was played at Loch Lomond. I ended up 3rd playing terribly.

99 was an amazing year and also a terrible year which ultimately ended up with me stopping playing. Absolutely no sympathy wanted so don’t bother but I found my brother dead in bed.

i took the game back up in 2011/12 then stopped again, I was given 10 and got down to 5 quickly, then started again suring the middle of last year and they gave me 6.5 and I’ve been horrendous since, it’ll come, no rush lol!

It's a funny ol game...…. a good front nine then that one shank that takes you around the green without getting on it. My early years spent on the practise ground morning noon and night in the summer trying to get down to single figures. Lowest was 9.6 so never achieved it, then kids and it all went out the window lol. One of the last games I played was at Chart Hills, a Faldo designed course about 45 mins from me, strangely enough when I entered the gates I felt honoured and becalmed to be walking in his footsteps.
When he opened the course and drove a perfect tee shot (some 200yard carry over rough, dog-leg right) onto the fairway, one of the crowd bet he couldn't hit the fairway again, not only did he hit the fairway, he drove the ball which ended up about 8inches rom the first one!!
There is a plaque set in the ground at that spot with the 2 balls laid in it... Don't think he had fanny at that time :loyal:

I played the medal play-offs there on Saturday and started with 5 straight pars, I thought “please don’t go out in -3” lol! Thankfully i double bogeyed the 6th. I think I went out in +3

I started back well with a birdie on 10, slight contrast to the 12 I got there the week before, strange game. I made a hash of the 14th though, hit the green albeit the lower tier and proceeded to 5 putt, how I managed that I’m not so sure, but it cost me. A treble bogey 6. I made a poor bogey down the last from nowhere and finished with a +8 74. I got cut because the 6 became a 5 so back down to 7. I should be way better though.

I’ve got the St.Fillans gents open this Saturday coming and then that’ll be it for the season.

Back