Clean chain

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy

Reaction score
Hi everyone got a new chain and sprockets, reading the instructions on the chain it says don't use petrol or kerosene to clean what do you use then Tommy.

Wurth chain cleaner, then use Wurth dry chain lube to keep it looking new..

Paraffin to clean, then wash the bike, followed by Wurth dry chain lube for me.

To my knowledge there is no way Paraffin (Kerosene in American) can cause any degradation to O-rings

- Oli

MucOff chain cleaner, out of everything I've tried its the best value and best cleaner, spray wait a couple of min and wipe off and chain looks like new

+1 for MucOFF, it works really well it just runs off the chain and then I also use the MucOFF dry chain lube. This combo works well in my opinion.

Paraffin in a kettenmax cleaner. Wurth dry lube after rinsing off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having had a chain snap recently, scaring the **** out of me and causing mahoosive damage, what I can say is clean/lube, clean/lube, and clean/lube again. Chain maintenance will always be top of my list of things to do forever now, not that I wasn?t pretty meticulous anyway!

Last edited:
I clean with parafin and an old tooth brush. Then I dry it off and use Wurth dry chain lube.

Don't use Petrol, as that is bad for the o-rings.

Last edited:
Paraffin to clean, then wash the bike, followed by Wurth dry chain lube for me.

To my knowledge there is no way Paraffin (Kerosene in American) can cause any degradation to O-rings

- Oli
+1

Ive used WD40 And muc off chain cleaner. Both good. For lubrication i use oil, but apply it when I've been out for a run, as its better to apply lubrication when the chain is warm, as it sticks and evaporates into the chain better.

Motul chain clean and chain lube

8_BCE4_BEA_B95_D_4426_8169_240_D48268_F33.jpg

5640_FEF6_0_D7_A_43_C4_8_CE0_2_FD9_E8_B183_DA.jpg

For lubrication i use oil, but apply it when I've been out for a run, as its better to apply lubrication when the chain is warm, as it sticks and evaporates into the chain better.
A friend of mine mixes Gear Oil and white spirit and brushes on the mix, the white spirit evaporates and leaves a thin layer of oil on the chain. Have you tried this?

I've used Muc-off, Wurth and WD40 cleaner, all much of a muchness. Wurth lube is the best I've ever used, barely any fling at all and keeps nice and clean. My chain has done 13k now.

Hi everyone got a new chain and sprockets, reading the instructions on the chain it says don't use petrol or kerosene to clean what do you use then Tommy.

go on eBlag and look for gunk engine degreaser its about 10 quid for 5 litres.
rub plenty on chain with a chain cleaning brush wait 5 mins
then wash off with soapy water.
I then I use a little bit of brake cleaner on the chain and let it dry.
then put some wurth dry chain lube on.

Back