Hi campmates

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiMoto

Reaction score
Hello everyone just joined the forum today but not an S1000RR owner yet but would love some help from you guys. Currently riding a 2016 Yamaha R1 this is my 3rd R1 and as much as I love the look of the bike its a bit hard work for the road and has no resemblance to the older ones and in particular my favourite the 2012 which was imo a far better road bike. Been looking at BMW as my replacement but torn between the RR and the XR, I am worried that I buy the XR because I'm sick of sports bikes but in actual fact its just the non compromising R1 thats made me feel that way and the RR may be the do it all sports bike im looking for. Also if it is the RR do I wait for the new one or snap up one of the 18 bikes if the deal is good enough. Anyway thanks for any help in advance hopefully this forum is as good as the Yamaha ones I've been on over the years.

Hi Si, I've briefly ridden a '16 R1 and loved it's aggression and nimbleness but didn't love the cramped riding position and rock hard seat. The S1K (and another current sports bike I cant mention) is a lot more comfortable at all speeds if a little less characterful than your R1. Unless you are intending to regularly tour 2 up I'd take a serious look at the RR - suggest you take one out fir a test ride. At the moment no one knows what the '19 bike will look like but all will be revealed in the coming weeks.

Hi Mac thanks for the reply, im not intending to take pillions at all and so you may be right here. I have a back to back test ride booked tomorrow at Parks Motorrad in Glasgow, super excited about it so will hopefully become a little clearer tomorrow :)

Welcome to the forum Si!

I echo what Mac says, RR?s are superbly well-rounded sport bikes and I?m sure after test riding one you?ll agree.
That being said I am also rather fond of XR?s, though they are not a sport bikes on stilts, and so as Mac says unless you?re riding two-up regularly, I think you would end up missing a thoroughbred sports bike.

There are some superb aftermarket products available for the RR, such as the Hepco & Becker Sport Rack and the Ventura Luggage systems, not to mention Wunderlich?s Sport tank bag. So if you ever wanted to make an RR that bit more practical, there are always options.

With regard to the 18 vs 19 debate, IMO I would strongly recommend waiting until the Gen 4 2019 model is launched, purely so that you can make a more informed decision before purchasing a new bike.
One thing is for sure though, the Gen 3 RR is an amazing bike, so whatever you decide I am certain you?ll be happy with the decision [emoji41]

Enjoy the forum (which is waaaay better than all the others [emoji6]), there is a wonderful community on here and loads of information.
I hope your onboard an RR in the coming months and that you have many happy miles ahead of you [emoji4]

- Oli

Hi Mac thanks for the reply, im not intending to take pillions at all and so you may be right here. I have a back to back test ride booked tomorrow at Parks Motorrad in Glasgow, super excited about it so will hopefully become a little clearer tomorrow :)

Awesome, hope the weather is superb for you tomorrow and that you enjoy the test-rides.
Let us know what you think!

- Oli

Hi Si, great position you are in, I am sure that Alan Dalziel will guide you as to whats best for the dealership. With a new model round the corner Gen 3 bike should be heavily discounted and maybe irresistible if the deal is right.

Whatever you decide enjoy the forum, your new bike and the buying experience, remember Aladdin's Golden Rule "He who has the gold makes the rules".

JimmyMac

Ohh, and RR all day long over the XR.

So was out on the XR for a few hours on Saturday but it was pissing down and the dealership wouldn't let me take out the RR in the rain so instead they booked me in for today to do a back to back test. So spent the morning on the RR and was blown away with how good it was on the road its such a well rounded bike and was an absolute pleasure to ride it. Took out the XR afterwards and did exactly the same route and it was also really nice to ride, was really comfortable and makes so much sense for the road, but its defo the RR for me man the bike is incredible. Question is do I wait to see what the new ones like before I jump in or do I get myself the current one if the deals right??? help me out guys I'm driving myself nuts here

So was out on the XR for a few hours on Saturday but it was pissing down and the dealership wouldn't let me take out the RR in the rain so instead they booked me in for today to do a back to back test. So spent the morning on the RR and was blown away with how good it was on the road its such a well rounded bike and was an absolute pleasure to ride it. Took out the XR afterwards and did exactly the same route and it was also really nice to ride, was really comfortable and makes so much sense for the road, but its defo the RR for me man the bike is incredible. Question is do I wait to see what the new ones like before I jump in or do I get myself the current one if the deals right??? help me out guys I'm driving myself nuts here

Glad to hear you had a great test-ride on both bikes Si, much better to have sampled both in the dry too!

With regard to buying now or waiting, I would strongly recommend at least waiting until the Gen 4 is announced prior to making a decision

- Oli

Glad to hear you had a great test-ride on both bikes Si, much better to have sampled both in the dry too!

With regard to buying now or waiting, I would strongly recommend at least waiting until the Gen 4 is announced prior to making a decision

- Oli

Thanks Oli I think that may be the correct decision

Just read through these posts, the level of restraint is to say the least commendable...

I could learn a lot from the sensible people on this website like Oli and Si...

As an impulse buyer... I convince myself of the following..... I need it, I want it, do I need two of them...maybe....I want it yesterday... but of course !....I want a black and a white one....sure why not, can I live without it..don't be ridiculous !... generally the decision to buy is carried out with blistering speed whilst perusing the product as it lures me in with it's uncontrollable seduction....Chad Kroegers image sums me up perfectly :)

215b7ed7a062040d9306587591b57dd5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If it was down to me, I'd go and find a beauty of a 2015/16 RR from a dealer (so the warranty is intact) for many thousands less than a brand new one ensuring you got the best deal that anyone ever got. Enjoy it to the hilt.

I've heard that the 2019 bike won't be available until well into 2019 anyway, so you _could_ be waiting 12 months to get your hands on one in the flesh. Think of all the great smiles and thrills you could have between now and then!

If it was down to me, I'd go and find a beauty of a 2015/16 RR from a dealer (so the warranty is intact) for many thousands less than a brand new one ensuring you got the best deal that anyone ever got. Enjoy it to the hilt.

I've heard that the 2019 bike won't be available until well into 2019 anyway, so you _could_ be waiting 12 months to get your hands on one in the flesh. Think of all the great smiles and thrills you could have between now and then!
Yeah this, find a GEN3 you like that has done the large part of its depreciation already.

The '19 could yet be a lemon with countless recalls...

- Alex

Stuart, Wayne and Alex are all on the same train of thought that I hold.

Enjoy yourself TODAY, none of us know if we have a tomorrow. The discounts and pressure dealers will have placed on them now will ensure fantastic value for money.

I am in the similar position at the moment with buying a car for business purposes, new model comes out in September and the current model is having some massive discounts applied, I will not be buying the new one as the difference in price is around ?20k. It would be mental to ignore that and it is purely a work horse.

Don't procrastinate Simon, it's not attractive, lol.

JimmyMac

Welcome to the forum Si, RR all the way as the XR is a sports bike for GS riders and no more.

Re the 18 or 19 model, if the price is right I would buy the 18.... why wait for a bike that you might not like the look of, will the 19 be that much better? Will you be able to ride it any quicker than the 18? Might you miss out on a cheap 18?

Good Luck with your decision what ever you decide I am sure your'e going to Love the RR.

All of my recent bikes have been ex demos, I bought my current one with 160 miles on in as new condition for ?3600 below list. Last Autumn ex demo S1K's were being listed for around ?13k, going for one of these makes a lot of sense unless you're really set on the latest and greatest, although depending on what you want to do with it not necessarily 'better' new model.

i would defo go with the s1000rr after having blades and r1s love this bike to bits but if i stopped wanting the sports bike i would go the s1000r not the xr . that makes more sense to me. also if you look around some dealers pre reg gen 3 bikes

So today I became the proud owner of a brand new S1000RR in all black, super stoked about it never thought I'd see the day I parted company with my beloved Yamaha's but I have to concede that the RR is just a far better road bike and suits my needs perfectly. Roll on the 5th September can't come quick enough :)

Glad to see you also have gone for the faster black version

Back