10A fuse keeps blowing (blank dash)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobo

Reaction score
Hi all,
The 10A fuse keeps blowing (cannot be reproduced on command, but I'm on my 4th 10A fuse at this point in time) and the dash goes blank but you can hear the fuel pump and start the bike.
Dealer apparently pulled it apart (tank off, etc) and couldn't find any rubbing/chaffing on the loom.
Has anyone seen/heard of something like this?

I'm dreading this is going to become an on-going issue...:nightmare:

(bike is going back to dealer)

They disconnect the fender eliminator number plate light and blamed that, but a fuse has popped since then (which is why it?s going back).

It does have the plug for an Oxford battery tender, but the fuse issue predates that as I had to replace the battery as it started going flat for no reason and had to keep it topped up every week or two then finally died (obviously close to an explanation for that now thankfully).
Kept the plug on the new battery just in case.

Apart from that it?s stock AFAIK.

They disconnect the fender eliminator number plate light and blamed that, but a fuse has popped since then (which is why it?s going back).

It does have the plug for an Oxford battery tender, but the fuse issue predates that as I had to replace the battery as it started going flat for no reason and had to keep it topped up every week or two then finally died (obviously close to an explanation for that now thankfully).
Kept the plug on the new battery just in case.

Apart from that it?s stock AFAIK.

Sounds like you have an intermittent short somewhere

Last edited:
Yeah that does sound like the most likely cause.

Was hoping there was maybe a known or ?becoming more common? fault with the dash itself or something like that, something which is more easily found/identified as locating a short sounds like a time consuming process...

the dash does control the lights (or at least it does on 2010) plus an ecu for the engine and one for the abs.
mine had a chaffe between the loom, air box, frame -but it was the earth wire so just failed without bowing fuses, dealer fixed it so not sure exactly where it was

Back