Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R1 track bike

Riding
    1299s

Re: R1 track bike

That look when you know something bad is going to happen!

Well that escalated quickly. What started off tentatively because of the cold temps soon went downhill quick and in a bad way.

The day started off as normal, 4am start, along to work at 5am to load the motor, attach the trailer and load the bike. Headed off at 6am and got to Knockhill for 7:30am!

It was a cracking morning, clear skies, sun wa spit but the temp must’ve been roughly 2 above. I had to clear the windscreen at 5 and I think it was about 0 or 1 above at that time. All set up and ready to go.

Our first session was at 9:40 and a few were talking about missing the first session because of the temp, I spoke to a few lads in inters and they were of the same opinion, my mate Giz wasn’t going to bother for the first session in advanced but I think most of the fast group went out, seemed as if it was packed......we did roughly 6 laps before it was red flagged. Came in then back out and it must’ve been the same again, maybe 6 laps when at the hairpin it went all wrong.

I ran wide allowing for Roy to take the inside line, I knew he was there and as I’ve came back across I’ve backed off the throttle to allow him plenty room and just carry on easily behind him, he however has got on the gas too early and just spun out, unfortunately he came across my path and I’ve rode straight over him. I sort of took off and fell over coming down on my right side, helmet and all. He was laying there motionless, Marshall running over, absolutely nothing. I thought he was dead. I had to walk away, this was all very quick. I made sure I was fine then walked back over but kept my distance. He was out, I was chatting with the Marshall and he shouted he was out cold but I got the feeling he must’ve had vital signs, I then switched the camera off, it was 2 minutes after the crash at this point, he was still out......finally he came round and tried to get up, “YES”.... I shouted. It must’ve been 3 minutes that he was out.

I rode the bike in, then went to the medical centre to get checked over and see how Roy was doing. In the end up he was taken to Ninewells and after texting him Monday morning he was hoping to get out on Monday. Only injuries were concussion, bruising and generally really sore. Unbelievable, so relieved and happy.

I managed to get the bike back out, needed to source a bolt and peg(thanks to Giz - RAG racing) put the screen back on and a few other small bits and that was it.

First session was to make sure everything was ok, I was getting passed left right and centre but didn’t care, bike felt good and seemed fine, so I started to push and started bringing the times down.

The next session out, last before lunch I managed to set a personal best which I managed back to back, I was pleased considering all the shit that happened earlier on.

After lunch it was much the same, I couldn’t get any quicker but was consistently putting in decent laps, bike felt good and was never out of shape. Plenty to work on, brake later and be more aggressive on certain sections, but I’m pleased and enjoying myself, albeit after a bit of a scare.

Because Roy is ok I’ll post the footage, he himself wanted me to send it to him lol! Never ever met the guy before, he was a racer up until last year and in his own words he’s had much worse, so that’s not too bad then haha.
    2011 S1000rr sport - out
    2015 Ducati 1299 Panigale S - in

Riding
    1299s

Note the Shoei helmet, now gubbed

2011 S1000rr sport - out

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wull For This Useful Post:

Riding
    1299s

Best 2 laps from each of the 3 sessions after making sure bike was ok

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2pz5YCc-C18#

And the incident.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kwSD0Cft7mM
    2011 S1000rr sport - out

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wull For This Useful Post:

That looked nasty, glad hes ok.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to soofsayer For This Useful Post:

Riding
    KTM Superduke GT

Thanks for sharing and good photo's. That's not nice for either of you, glad he is ok and it didn't spoil your day too much.

I have ridden over a friend on the road, he came off in front of me. He was ok ish thankfully.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to phil For This Useful Post:

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Jesus wept...

- Alex

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alex For This Useful Post:

Riding
    KTM 1290 SDR

Glad he's ok, there's nothing you could have done to avoid that and you did well to get back out and into the groove again.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacRR For This Useful Post:

Riding
    2015 Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by MacRR View Post
    Glad he's ok, there's nothing you could have done to avoid that and you did well to get back out and into the groove again.
    +1, am very glad to hear youíre both alright, must have been a terrible shock.

Great result getting a PB during the day, talk about ending the day on a high note!

- Oli

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Oli For This Useful Post:

Riding
    1299s

Booked Saturday the 6th, 10am-1pm sessions. This will be the last outing of the year, bike isnít too bad and should hold together, I noticed the clock/fairing stay is broke, plenty to do over the winter.
    Last edited by Wull; 4th October 2018 at 08:02 PM.
    2011 S1000rr sport - out

I think you can connect Solo with your ECU if it is the DL model and have a lot info about RPM,Throttle etc.