Hello from Staffordshire.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon W

Reaction score
Newbie to the forum with an ex Demo 2018 1000RR in blue/ white racing colours.

Only covered 700 miles so far and had a disaster in the garage a few hours ago. Like to look at the bike and just enjoy the damn thing, trouble is I dropped it in the garage !!!

Broke the front indicator and LH mirror and while it was over the drag through the gearbox pulled the chain into the plastic hugger creasing that up too.

Royally pissed off with myself although beginning to calm down ever so slightly

Will be calling BMW tomorrow to price up the parts as it looks a fairly easy job to fix.

Not the greatest first post!

Hi simon, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new bike. Sorry to read you dropped it, tbh I dropped one of my bikes in my garage a couple of months ago, the bike was ok, the car was not :(.

It is all fixable, in perspective its not a big deal I hope. Maybe try tim at lind (on here) for a deal on parts?

Only covered 700 miles so far and had a disaster in the garage a few hours ago. Like to look at the bike and just enjoy the damn thing, trouble is I dropped it in the garage !!!

Broke the front indicator and LH mirror and while it was over the drag through the gearbox pulled the chain into the plastic hugger creasing that up too.

Will be calling BMW tomorrow to price up the parts as it looks a fairly easy job to fix.

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about dropping the bike. Good opportunity to upgrade the oem hugger for a carbon one !

Welcome to the forum Simon and congratulations on your new RR!

Sorry to hear of you dropping the bike, I think we?ve all had experiences like that at some point. It?s gutting at the time but with a bit of luck the damage is only minor and I?m sure your new steed will be pristine again soon.
If you?ve not already invested in some crash protection, I would highly recommend GB Racing engine case covers and a front axel slider. A set of carbon frame covers are also probably a good idea long term as prevents wear and tear on the frame and shields you from some of the frame heat.

What sort of riding do you enjoy primarily?

Enjoy the forum, there is a wonderful community on here and loads of information.
I hope you have many more happy miles ahead of you [emoji4]

- Oli

As Oli says, investing in some crash protectors is well worth it. I have R&G frame protectors (have saved my indicators & fairing more than once), front fork protectors & engine case sliders. The full engine case covers offer better protection, but the sliders work for minor tumbles.

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum.
Don't worry too much about dropping the bike.
I've just dropped mine in the garage after three years of ownership when taking it off the paddock stand. S**t can strike anytime. Luckily I only broke the r/h front indicator........that time.
I purchased a new one, fitted it and went for a run out to Bridlington the next night.
Long story short, while manoeuvring out of my parking place, with both my feet on the pegs, the bike toppled over, with me still on it in front of loads of holiday makers. I could have crawled under a stone, I was so embarrassed 😖
The good news was that the new indicator was ok........ but the fairing was smashed where the indicator fixes to it, the indicator pushed into my Evotech radiator guard and bent it forward, breaking the top lug off the lower fairing panel and also breaking the front fairing V piece! The top fairing sustained a small scrape at the widest point near the handle bar. The bar end weight got scratched as did the ball on the brake lever!
Oh, and the carbon fibre cover over the Acrapivic link pipe got scratched too. The good news is that it's all fixable, and mine almost is, just waiting on the painter now after making all my own repairs.
As a mate of mine said, its better to drop the bike at 1 mph than 101 mph😊
Don't dispare Simon, it's all fixable. And remember, always have your feet down when manoevering 😀😀
Enjoy the bike and this really great forum.

Hi Simon, sounds like a good opportunity to buy a carbon hugger! As the others have said we've all done it so you're not on your own, enjoy the forum

Hi Simon, bummer of a start into your ownership but you'll laugh about it soon.

Enjoy your bike, you will find lots of helpful people on here.

JimmyMac

Back