Brembo SC wear :(

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chocolatier

Reaction score
Just checked my pads, less than 600 miles on them, inc 2 trackdays, both BMW rider perfection days with Bins.

Strip down and clean to find this, have emailed supplier as not happy, i know i'm late on the brakes and ride in all weathers but, 600 miles :(

20180811_125135.jpg

Hope the Z04's I've just ordered last better than this

I used SC pads for 5 seasons with no issues. Two trackdays and a couple of thousand miles on the road seemed about the average before replacing. I think I could destroy one set in one trackday if I went nuts on late braking (not how I ride). So depending on how you have been riding it could be fair, or they are possibly counterfeit.

Brembo

I?ve seen Brembo SC brake pads wear to the backing plates after a single days hard use on track. As for Z04 brake pads they are phenomenal but outrageously expensive if buying them for OEM calipers. They are best used in conjunction with good quality race brake fluid.

I use SC?s and get 8 races max out of a set
They do wear quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used them many track days. Indeed, they wear quick and leave a lot of brake dust on the caliper and wheels. But my pads have never worn to a point where pad material is breaking of the backing plate like yours.

Are you sure your pads are not dragging? Can you spin the front wheel with your hands on a paddock stand?

EBC GPFAX Race Brake Pads

Just fitted some gpfax... Had some good reports....

Very good race brake pads although definitely not as good as Brembo Z04s; but considerably cheaper. HPS normally have promotional offers on them too.

Well Brembo have asked for the SC's back and have sent me shipping paperwork, Z04's will be here in a few days and until I'm back on track the oem pads will suffice.

Anyone taken the time to Mic their discs recently.... My new Brembos are waiting to get some action, but I'm not fitting them till seasons finished..

The OE on my bike are below around 4.8 mil depending on where you measure...but typically the OE discs are difficult to measure due to uneven wear...The Digital Gauge is easy to read but not really ideal for measuring a disc...I calibrated my Analogue Mic and got similar readings to the Digital... my discs are quite badly grooved with definite lips on the outer and inner faces just outside where the pads sit...anyhow I was always rubbish at measuring bits of metal even at college...

Millie the mechanic wanted in on the action..maybe I'll ask her opinion...
89d830b49f1b7c7ccb67973cc7047a3a.jpg
0fea8f85f550aec69d9a25fb90a55639.jpg
64925aa9ea79cd261fc676f4fa4b934a.jpg
3c149a5d911dfed46efda42c29a45a71.jpg
faa7118a3c6b314f24c6b7afef9647a8.jpg
4b90e52d117c29bc397e4586105bbe51.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
3814dca09e2a33b06dd2b38c3473d775.jpg
684d69ccb3e34478b3f991b5a59ed63a.jpg
72d567aab62d0a8a5f65215e6ce99a76.jpg

Last edited:
Millie will be accurate down to a cats whisker............

Meanwhile you have to remember that a "Baw hair" is an official Scottish unit of measurement.

JimmyMac

Midgies dick in other words Jimmy..lol. by the way bikepaints have my panel...she emailed to ask if I wanted it back ?....erm AYE..... be interesting to find out the cost..

Well Brembo have asked for the SC's back and have sent me shipping paperwork, Z04's will be here in a few days and until I'm back on track the oem pads will suffice.
Lol do they want mine too...oh wait, there's no material left [emoji23]

- Alex

Anyone taken the time to Mic their discs recently.... My new Brembos are waiting to get some action, but I'm not fitting them till seasons finished..

The OE on my bike are below around 4.8 mil depending on where you measure...but typically the OE discs are difficult to measure due to uneven wear...The Digital Gauge is easy to read but not really ideal for measuring a disc...I calibrated my Analogue Mic and got similar readings to the Digital... my discs are quite badly grooved with definite lips on the outer and inner faces just outside where the pads sit...anyhow I was always rubbish at measuring bits of metal even at college...

Millie the mechanic wanted in on the action..maybe I'll ask her opinion...

Hi Stuart,

The service limit is 4.5mm. I measured mine before I changed them. They were above limit but like yours uneven & grooved which the micrometer showed up.

One of mine was also not floating on the rivets properly as it vibrated on braking at speed.

The new Serie Oros sorted the problem!

Yea...I'm pretty much right on the limit in places..the measurements are incremental Rob.. no problems really with regard to play on the bobbins, though I've often felt my front brakes could be better..could be down to my choice of pads..SBS. what pads did you fit again ?.

Stuart

Just fitted some gpfax, have you tried them? Had some good reports....

No I haven?t but last time i was on the phone to Giles at HPS he spent 10 minutes trying to pursuade me that they were better than the Brembo SC?s

You?ll have to let me know what you think of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back