Akrapovic full system, MWR Airfilter, reflash and the rear exhaust servo

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieMac

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Guys,

Just thought I'd share an interesting couple of days a couple of weeks ago during the hottest temperatures of the year.

Firstly I'd happy to day that these mods have made a huge difference to midrange, top end, throttle reaction, TC, wheelies and given the bike a load of character, as it was like riding a fridge freezer compared to my other bikes.

So set aside a couple of days. First day fully service bike, oil, filter, Valve Clearances, Plugs, MWR Air filter and take the standard exhaust off and fit Akrapovic full system. Big fan to keep me cool and litres of cold water on tap.

Everything going fine, bike fully serviced.... thought I'd get the exhaust swap done in a couple of hours, till the dreaded rear exhaust servo removal reared it's ugly head.

Dropped the std exhaust off in 20 mins odd, then struggled with the rear servo... got frustrated and I've learnt to go have a couple of tea! Came back, got out the endoscope (must have ?18!) and had a good look around what was blocking it coming out.

I'd previously spent hours researching everything to save time and everyone including Akrapovic said to just undo the bolt that holds on the rear reservoir and move it out of the way. That's not what stops the Servo coming out! The bracket that the reservoir bolts to and is bolted to the inside of the subframe has to come out. The servo just slides straight out then.... 5 min job! Saves so much grief. I wish someone had posted that. I dumped the bracket as it's totally over engineers. turned the reservoir round and made up a spacer and used a longer bolt.

Fitted the Akira, prebuilt off bike and used tried and tested PTFE tape to seal joints.

Put it all back together and went out for a test ride and then a well earned beer. Sorted and it still has it's pop's and bangs! :fat:

Then in the morning I filled up at the end of my road with Shell V Max (best full out there bar none)... rode in refreshingly cool air to the Shell garage 2 miles from the dyno. I just got there with 1 mile tank range spare!

Put the bike on the dyno, one run and proved it was lean... says that all the time which is understandable with modern bikes and he doesn't want to wear his dyno out. Computer did it's stuff and worked out we used to race each other, then off came the bike. With the new adaptation settings configured I took the exact same route home and after a few roll-on's the bike had reset it's adaptations (mainly knock sensor) revelling in the new midrange, top end ... god does it wheelie.... so I wasn't taking it easy with the throttle all the way home and it was baking hot compared to the morning. Got home and the tank range still had 52 miles to go! So up there 1 mile left, fill up..... 2 miles to the garage, Dyno runs, full on throttle abuse in hot, hot weather and 52 mile tank range left. You don't need to set adaptations as it'll learn by itself over 50-100 miles of full throttle action, but it speeds up the process. The tuner didn't give me an AFR reading as it takes time for the bike to learn.

The bike is now addictively stunning.

Hope this helps someone out there. Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Back