NC500 advice required

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gav525

Reaction score
I know a few of you have done the route, so looking for a bit of help with the below if you would be so kind.

Have looked at the map while trying to plan things and though the distances sound fine, i have no idea of what is reasonable ground to expect to cover in a day. I know this all to well having recently tackled part of the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland, with average speeds of around 20mph in places!

TRIP 1
So the first trip is in the car. Going home to Shetland for a wedding and coming back down through Orkney, arriving in Scrabster at 0800 in the morning. Wanted to follow the route down the West coast, but not sure where to be booking accommodation for that night. This won't be a see everything, sight seeing drive, just basically heading back to the ferry in Stranraer and taking in a bit of scenery as we go. Only have the one night, so 2 days driving to get to Stranraer. Is Applecross achievable on that first day as fancied a meal there and could stay close by?

TRIP 2

Trip 2 is on the RR with a few mates on their bikes a few days after i get back from the Manx GP. We have 3 nights/4 days for this. All i have planned at the minute is day 1 early ferry across to Stranraer, up to Tyndrum, across to Fort William then up the A82 and stop the night in Inverness. Want to then head across to Applecross then go North, so any advice on where to aim for on the 2nd and 3rd night would be great.

Cheers in advance

Sounds like you've got a couple of good trips to look forward to. I was up in Shetland a lot with work over the past five years but never managed to get the RR up there.

When I did the NC500 I went from my home in Falkirk up to NC500 route and back to Falkirk in 3 days / 2 nights - a total of 880 miles. I stayed the first night in Gairloch and the second night in Thurso - it worked out well apart from the weather !!!

Sounds like you've got a couple of good trips to look forward to. I was up in Shetland a lot with work over the past five years but never managed to get the RR up there.

When I did the NC500 I went from my home in Falkirk up to NC500 route and back to Falkirk in 3 days / 2 nights - a total of 880 miles. I stayed the first night in Gairloch and the second night in Thurso - it worked out well apart from the weather !!!

Cheers mate, that’s quite a bit of riding you done in a short time an all then! Think I’ve it sorted now for the bike trip and going from the ferry to Lochcarron the first night, up to Durness for second night, then down to Dunkeld for the 3rd night. Going to be plenty miles on the RR but hopefully get good weather.

Yes, Shetland is an interesting place lol. I take it you’re in oil and gas? Actually heading home for the first time in 5 years for a family wedding, so a good chance to catch up with everyone.

Back