Stupid cheap Cotton reels!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gradders

Reaction score
Stupid cheap Cotton reels!

I hated the look of the cheap and small cotton reels already fitted to my bike when I bought it. I decided I would change these over and when trying to remove them with an Allen key the already half rounded off bolt just buckled to the pressure I was asserting. I had to Dremel cut them off, tried Mole Grips (no budging) so had to drill out the old bolt from the swing arm and then re tap and die the thread. anyone had to deal with a previous owners stupidity or cheap and tacky add ones?

It would seem the cheap metals in the cotton reel had fused to the swing arm and he had used thread lock.

Sound like they were cheapos right enough....20 to 30 quid will get you a decent set with stainless bolts..smidgeon of copaslip on the threads will help in future...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've been lucky to not get any bad mods so far...sounds like a bit of a PITA.

My Rizoma ones are quite nice...not that I've tried to remove them.

Most of the online bolt you get look like stainless but there very easy to strip.

Besides that stainless into alu and it will fuse in no time unless you use copper grease

Back