Car Trolley Jack Recommendations Please?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
As per title. I need to take a front wheel off my car to have it refinished due to a **** up with parking and pavements.

I have no experience of trolley jacks before so needs to be fairly idiot proof. :)

Is it generally better to lift a car across/by the axle instead of by a side only?

Any newbie advice welcomed.

If you?re taking the wheel off for a while it?s best to leave it on an axle stand rather than a trolley jack for any period of time. As for which trolley jack to use,I?m still using a cheap one I picked up from Argos 25 years ago.
My point is don?t spend a fortune,just make sure it?s rated for the weight of your vehicle. I?ve always placed the jack on the lifting points under the sills and never had any issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Agree with Ross about not supporting car for any length of time in trolley jack. Either use axle stands or bricks for cheap option.

I use a Halfords trolley jack. If your car is low check that trolley jack will fit under wheel. I have to use a ramp in order to get trolley jack under front of mine.

+1 on what Alex says. The lifting pads are a good idea. iuse small bits of wood butt those rubbers are better.

For alloy refurb I can recommend Lepsons in Gillingham http://www.lepsons.com/ I had 4 alloys refurbed & Diamond cut and am very happy with them.

Not local for you Andy, but they have a service where you courier the wheels to them

Thanks for the info so far lads. There is a very good refurb place near me but I dont want my car in their compound / carpark for 4 days whilst the wheel is being redone. They will come and jack the car and take the wheel, fix and return and refit, but I would like to be able to remove the wheel myself.

Thanks for the info so far lads. There is a very good refurb place near me but I dont want my car in their compound / carpark for 4 days whilst the wheel is being redone. They will come and jack the car and take the wheel, fix and return and refit, but I would like to be able to remove the wheel myself.

Just buy a 2-post lift and have done with it ;)

You need low profile and good quality. The car should have specific lifting points in the sill. A piece of rubber matt or soft wood on the jack head should prevent damage.
Solid/axle stands for longer term as above.

These look pretty robust...not used them mind.
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks

There are special lifting pads too; https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N3QK...&pd_rd_r=f60a9ff1-912c-11e8-876d-9d90189430a3

Thanks Alex, I have bought a trolley jack, axle stands and all the pads from these guys.

There will be a few points under the car you can safely lift the car...knuckle of a wishbone is popular and are totally solid. You'll suss it as soon as you look underneath Andy, if the rim is off for a few days to get the rash treated axle stand(s) is/are paramount... if anything just incase theres a fail in the hydraulic system..unlikely tho...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Echo all the above, axle stands a must, or better still is to stick a spare/space saver on.

I was working on an older 7 series recently, and could only get jack to the dedicated jacking points, as car was to low to get to a structural point of suspension, but couldn't use the trolly jack on the sills, as I didn't have Bmw specific adaptors to fit the sills.

Andy. Could you post up before and after pics of the wheel. I'm investigating doing similar. Cheers, H

Do you mean the damage and the repair? If so here is the ?before?:

db21478972ef02cc0023595985925237.jpg

The ?after? should be next Friday.

Echo all the above, axle stands a must, or better still is to stick a spare/space saver on.

I was working on an older 7 series recently, and could only get jack to the dedicated jacking points, as car was to low to get to a structural point of suspension, but couldn't use the trolly jack on the sills, as I didn't have Bmw specific adaptors to fit the sills.

I made little blocks out of oak Kenny for my 3 series and a set for my daughters 1 series, only took a few minutes on a table saw and worked perfect. I think the adaptor said from BMW were about ?50 a set or there abouts.
Didn't know they needed them until I wanted to jack the cars up but would never pay that for what they are.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
I made little blocks out of oak Kenny for my 3 series and a set for my daughters 1 series, only took a few minutes on a table saw and worked perfect. I think the adaptor said from BMW were about ?50 a set or there abouts.
Didn't know they needed them until I wanted to jack the cars up but would never pay that for what they are.

JimmyMac

?50!!!!!!

I wouldn't pay that for them!!! I was just wanting under the car to confirm that a drip of oil was coming from an alternator mount on a V8, common fault. The father inlaw had just bought it, and was under warrenty, so gave up and just stuck it into garage to get it sorted.

Jimmy why are you making blocks for a 3 or 1 series, there not needed. They have 4 plastic jacking points inserted in the sills. Use either the front or rear one and it will lift both wheels of the ground on the same side, then whichever wheel you want to remove just put an axle stand on the other jacking point. Absolutely no need for blocks of wood mate. Remember it’s a beemer your jacking not a ford/Reno Toyota etc it will not break its back.

Sorry for being off topic but what flooring is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is

https://www.garagepride.co.uk/garage-flooring-tiles-interlocking/garage-floor-tile-7mm-smooth.html

The picture of the floor is probably the least flattering spot to pick. Overall the floor is clean and the joins are not covered in grime. When building my garage the builder brilliantly decided to make the floor level with the driveway. With no gradient, when the wind blows from the east and its wet, water is driven in and under the tiles. Pain to dry it out (which I should do but it can be frequent), so theres a low spot where it accumulates the most causing the discolouration between the tiles. Its actually really good flooring and looks excellent after a few years ownership. Makes keeping the place clean so easy.

Jimmy why are you making blocks for a 3 or 1 series, there not needed. They have 4 plastic jacking points inserted in the sills. Use either the front or rear one and it will lift both wheels of the ground on the same side, then whichever wheel you want to remove just put an axle stand on the other jacking point. Absolutely no need for blocks of wood mate. Remember it?s a beemer your jacking not a ford/Reno Toyota etc it will not break its back.

Aye Budgie, I saw the plastic bits on the sills, I made the blocks to fit inside them so as not to crush the plastic which looked like an upside down shoebox with no lid (for want of a better description). I was using a big trolley jack with a dish which I thought might crush the plastic and damage the sill, figured the plastic bit was for the wee scissor jack to fit into.

I'm used to jacking up quality solid British motors like old Landies not these delicate German jobbies. haha

JimmyMac

Last edited:
Back