Track day exercises for the gym?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoranC1

Reaction score
Anyone have any good Hip exercises? Or any that they feel help them on the bike?

Im finding coming froma 600 to this is a bit of a struggle when i finaly put my head down and go proper quick. I cant seem to hold myself tight to the bike with my lower half even using stompgrips. So looking some ways to incase my thigh clamping strength.

Anyone have any good Hip exercises? Or any that they feel help them on the bike?

Im finding coming froma 600 to this is a bit of a struggle when i finaly put my head down and go proper quick. I cant seem to hold myself tight to the bike with my lower half even using stompgrips. So looking some ways to incase my thigh clamping strength.
I had this at Silverstone, just slid back on the seat.

So for Cadwell tomorrow I am testing out a big foam back stop to help as you can't grip and accelerate at lean.

Re exercises there are abducter and adducter machines in gyms. Other ideas include using Therabands for resistance training.

- Alex

Cheers alex, im 6ft tall....4ft in the legs alone. Cant seem to grip tight if i sit back, have to really concentrate on clamping otherwise i put alot of weight on my wrists. Ill look into those exercises.

In the next couple of week I am going to be changing my gym workouts to focus on track riding for next year. I will start up a thread once I have a plan that works and isnt too time consuming.

Best thing in my opinion would be squats and and ab exercises, try doing 10x10 at 60kg for squats and then always finish of every session with 5 minutes of abs. That should improve your strength and endurance when trying to grip your tank and brace your upper body but keep your arms loose.

Yoga, ( under guidance) , not as easy as it looks.

Flexibility & strength in one.

Makes you feel like you?re 18 again.

Best thing in my opinion would be squats and and ab exercises, try doing 10x10 at 60kg for squats and then always finish of every session with 5 minutes of abs. That should improve your strength and endurance when trying to grip your tank and brace your upper body but keep your arms loose.
+1

Legs and core

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

For lads that don't like the look of stomp grips. But for occasionally track or drag you need grip.

Coke on a cloth and wipe both sides of tank. Leave it dry and for the day you have mega grip.

Doesn't seem to affect paint or leathers one bit

Makes you feel like you’re 18 again.

In my case that would be: broke, bullied, head shaved and living in a foreign country sharing a dormitory with 17 others in the same boat, lol.

No thanks Rosso, but the RAF got a lot better after the first 3 years.

JimmyMac

In my case that would be: broke, bullied, head shaved and living in a foreign country sharing a dormitory with 17 others in the same boat, lol.

No thanks Rosso, but the RAF got a lot better after the first 3 years.

JimmyMac
Literally PMSL

Stretches first thing in the morning,stomp grips(or similar)on the tank,rear sets set back.Concentrate on keeping arms relaxed at all times and your core strength will improve.Not only will it help braking or accelerating,it frees you up to move about on the bike,especially the upper body which is useful for tightening a turn without increasing lean angle.

Ultimately,the biggest gains are from time on the track.

Just a bit of an update, when to gym tonight and done some hip ab/ad ductors(cant remember which, but the ones that you squeeze thighs together) and i think i found my problem, my legs were shaking like a demon on full contraction. So more work on them it is!

Just a bit of an update, when to gym tonight and done some hip ab/ad ductors(cant remember which, but the ones that you squeeze thighs together) and i think i found my problem, my legs were shaking like a demon on full contraction. So more work on them it is!

Build all muscles equally...Hamstrings are as vital as quads as abducters, adducters, glutes etc etc.

And the stretching is very very important.

Last edited:
Try focusing on the main compound moves and then the accessory work e.g. 4 or 5 sets of 6-8 squats followed by lunges followed by glute bridges. Then next time deadlift followed by hamstring curls followed by leg extension just as and idea. Upper body is just as important so add in bench press, rows, pulldowns on the alternate days and you should build strength evenly. General rule for strength training is 4/5 sets 6/8 reps max with about 1-2mins or rest between sets. Once you can complete your sets with a given weight add more and so it continues.

Conditioning is also really good for bike fitness so if your gym has equipment like sleds and tyres add in 30mins a week of circuits. You'll be blowing but your fitness will shoot up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Build all muscles equally...Hamstrings are as vital as quads as abducters, adducters, glutes etc etc.

And the stretching is very very important.
Agree with this, however there has been a shift from stretching at the beginning to dynamic stretching during & after excercise.
Simply grabbing your ankle and pulling up to your buttocks in the hope of stretching a quad at the start of a workout can do more harm than good.

If In doubt, some gyms have initial Personal Training deals on.
Mooch around and see which trainer seems to be booked up a lot & not constantly checking themselves out in the mirror/getting into their clients knickers. ( my corrective text tried to change this to knockers - equally applicable). Try booking with him/her.

Personally, I find female PT?s a little distracting ( I?m too pervy) & the male ego ( and unwanted trouser excitement) can get in the way of progress.

Don?t necessarily go for the biggest dude in there, because that?s not ultimately your goal and many ( despite what they claim) are juiced up ( the steroid type rather than freshly squeezed fruit).

Try focusing on the main compound moves and then the accessory work e.g. 4 or 5 sets of 6-8 squats followed by lunges followed by glute bridges. Then next time deadlift followed by hamstring curls followed by leg extension just as and idea. Upper body is just as important so add in bench press, rows, pulldowns on the alternate days and you should build strength evenly. General rule for strength training is 4/5 sets 6/8 reps max with about 1-2mins or rest between sets. Once you can complete your sets with a given weight add more and so it continues.

Conditioning is also really good for bike fitness so if your gym has equipment like sleds and tyres add in 30mins a week of circuits. You'll be blowing but your fitness will shoot up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
The 5x5 app is free and easy to use if strength is your primary focus. Big compound stuff building up to high weights.
It?s important not to continually do this because it stresses the body and joints too much.
12-16 week cycles are generally considered to be right.

Back