rad guard or not

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R1mad

Reaction score
never bothered with guards on previous bikes but oil cooler already had a ding so rang BMW and got told its a no no with them and wont fit one . AS it runs hot they said in traffic or really hot weather it may take it too high ? so whats everyone using , how easy to fit , and does it alter already boiling temp , thanks

never bothered with guards on previous bikes but oil cooler already had a ding so rang BMW and got told its a no no with them and wont fit one . AS it runs hot they said in traffic or really hot weather it may take it too high ? so whats everyone using , how easy to fit , and does it alter already boiling temp , thanks

I have R&G rad guard and oil cooler guard on my Gen 2 & it runs fine - no comments from BMW on servicing. They were on bike when I bought it so can't comment if anything was different after fitting.

Mine has them on too, no probs from service at dealer were on it when I got it 4 years ago as you say they do run hot in traffic but mine is at 30,000 ad I've not had to put any water in

Dealer fitted mine EVOTECH...but yes they do say to watch for efficiency changes.

- Alex

Last edited:
Just fitted my R&G ones myself, even saw the same ones for sale in Vines BMW in Guildford.
I haven't noticed any thermal efficiency changes that the bike couldn't already handle.

I've got Evotech guards on mine. Quality materials and fit...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

There's a really cheap UK maker on eBay.
Puts on a painted design, all that have used him have been happy.

R&G Tail Tidy's corrode...not sure if the rad guards do as well.

Radiator & Oil Cooler Guards

I?ve had radiator and oil cooler guards fitted for several seasons. I bought them as I found that the radiator fins on the BMW were definitely not as robust as those of other bikes I?ve owned. More importantly I fitted a set for my own safety, and that of others, on track as I would prefer not to have a punctured radiator and leak coolant everywhere.

To date I?ve never experienced any issues with regards to overheating and my bike has been subjected to track temperatures of up to 48?C. I opted for a set from Cox Racing and they are very well made, easy to fit, and significantly cheaper than the cost of a replacement radiator or oil cooler.

Evotech for me, though my dealer would not fit them. The quality is good, but the black anodising wears off after year round use.
Like the others, I?ve not noticed any thermal issues.

Personally, I would always fit radiator and oil cooler guards, as Ryan says it is far cheaper and safer than a punctured radiator

- Oli

Evotech on mine - no problems.......my mate bought a new 2017 GSXR1000 and holed the radiator at 600 miles.......cost him over ?500 and my other mate had a similar fate with his Fireblade a year earlier. I still can't understand why they are not fitted as standard - the radiators and oil coolers are so exposed to damage.

I enquired about a rad guard when I bought my 2015 and was told BMW don't recommend them because of possible issues with overheating. By the time I arrived home after the 20 miles from collecting the bike in Peterborough, I had a significant ding in the radiator. I managed to straighten out the bent fins using the tip of a scalpel and great care. 800 miles later I received my second ding from only a small stone and when I arrived home, the bike was incontinent and was spilling its guts onto the garage floor. I bought a new radiator and fitted it myself and paid over ?500 for the privilege. I bought and fitted a radiator guard from . . . . . the very same BMW dealer who told me not to fit one - it made not one jot of difference to the temp readouts on the console.
I am no entirely happy with the fit (Wunderlich?) as it uses the R & G cable tie method and also, the foam backing on the guard contacts the fins themselves. When I find time, I will design, make and fit my own guard.
The same happened to my M140 car - Caution .. . BMW radiator are manufactured under licence by Cadburys - you have been warned!!

R&G Tail Tidy's corrode...not sure if the rad guards do as well.

I've had the R&G tail tidy and (colour coded) rad guard on my bike for 5 years now. As with others, my tail tidy looked **** after only a few months. The rad guard is showing signs of age now, but only in areas where it has taken hits that potentially saved the radiator. Definitely holds up better than tail tidy

The guy on eBay trades under Race Radiator Guards, RRG for short. His product is excellent and easily the match of RandG or even Evotech. They are a compression fit secured with lock wire or cable ties. I use two cable ties but the tolerances are so neat that I reckon I could get away with no ties or wire, not that I?d try! It?s a UK product made by the guy in his spare time. I can?t praise his prices and his quality enough. BTW, I am only a happy paying customer of RRG, I?m not sponsored in any way!

Back