Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike ‘weaving’ under heavy braking on track

Re: Bike ‘weaving’ under heavy braking on track

Quote Originally Posted by r25sti View Post
    have you checked the headstock bearings and steering damper.
    I use the stock steering damper and just have it wound fully on but not checked it or the headstock bearing so I’ll take a look. Is there an easy way to test the headstock bearing?

Quote Originally Posted by cropsprayer View Post
    I use the stock steering damper and just have it wound fully on but not checked it or the headstock bearing so I’ll take a look. Is there an easy way to test the headstock bearing?
    If the headstock bearing is worn/loose you get a little bit of play. You would notice it if you were riding the bike and braking and getting a torque wrench like clicking sensation through the bars. Tbh I have had headstock bearing issues in the past and it did not cause any degradation to braking or weaving, so I doubt that is that issue. Most likely suspension setup.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to soofsayer For This Useful Post:

Oli

Quote Originally Posted by bmwbadboy View Post
    What's the wear pattern on rear tire after sessions where you push hard ?
    I seem to get pretty even wear to be honest especially when compared to some of the rears I see with tyre tear etc. I always buy new rather than try and save money using scrubs.

i had a knackered gpr steering damper once and that caused weaving all the time and not just under braking. i would also try winding the damper out some, you shouldnt need it fully wound on. i dumped the oe for an ohlins. as you have said its an issue thats developed so i would look for something that has failed. could be warn bushes or even oil in the forks.
    get someone to pull the bike up onto the stand to check the head stock bearing or use a abba type stand. once the fronts off the ground grab the bottom of the forks and move back and forth to see if theres any movement. also steer back and forth to feel for notches.
    Last edited by r25sti; 15th July 2018 at 10:58 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to r25sti For This Useful Post:

Oli

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

The steering damper should be as, off, as possible.

Fully wound on may be interfering too much. (MCT set mine at 7 out from max).

The bike will correct a wobble if your shoulders and grip are relaxed enough to allow it.

10mm is better so the preload was needed.

- Alex

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by r25sti View Post
    i had a knackered gpr steering damper once and that caused weaving all the time and not just under braking. i would also try winding the damper out some, you shouldnt need it fully wound on. i dumped the oe for an ohlins. as you have said its an issue thats developed so i would look for something that has failed. could be warn bushes or even oil in the forks.
    get someone to pull the bike up onto the stand to check the head stock bearing or use a abba type stand. once the fronts off the ground grab the bottom of the forks and move back and forth to see if theres any movement. also steer back and forth to feel for notches.
    Thanks very useful info and I will try this. I see Alex has also said I have the steering damper set incorrectly so definitely one to look at and I have thought about switching to an aftermarket version but pretty expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    The steering damper should be as, off, as possible.

Fully wound on may be interfering too much. (MCT set mine at 7 out from max).

The bike will correct a wobble if your shoulders and grip are relaxed enough to allow it.

10mm is better so the preload was needed.

- Alex
    i think it has 9 clicks of adjustment full to full so I am way off then! Why should it be fully off though just for my knowledge?

i think it has 9 clicks of adjustment full to full so I am way off then! Why should it be fully off though just for my knowledge?
    you shouldn't need a damper at all, its just there for that just in case moment. if the bike is set up spot on and your not fighting the steering then you wouldn't really need one. defo worth winding it nearly off and giving it ago.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r25sti For This Useful Post:

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

They said to me if you need one something else is wrong. Its there to smooth out, not restrict.

- Alex

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex For This Useful Post:

Hi I had the same on my 2011 on track, fitted Ohlins cartridge kit and all the weaving stopped. You prob need heavier springs in forks. But my advise it go for a cartridge kit with springs for yr weight .