Service notification

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreudianSlip

Reaction score
After nipping into the garage last night I was saddened to find my rear tyre flatter than a badger on the a1 and a (what I later found out to be) rivet poking through the rubber. A quick weep later and I'd plugged the offending hole however in doing so, I turned off the alarm on the bike 'cos its a bit sensitive.

I then noticed that the bike has done 6300 miles.. On my 2015 bike, the service light would be on by now to remind me to take it for some TLC, but theres no hint of a service indicator on the 2017 bike.

Has it changed recently? Does the bike need servicing when *it* decides? I dont want to void my warranty

Has your bike been serviced this year already?
If so, then no because it?s every 6,000 miles or 12 months.
So if you?d had it serviced at say 4,000 miles, it then wouldn?t be due until 10,000 miles.
The only this is air filters are due every 6,000. Unless of course you?re running a k&n or similar in which case we tend to recommend a remove and clean every 3,000 to keep them tip top :).

If your bike hasn?t been serviced since your 600 running in, then a phone call is required asking why they haven?t set your service indicator.
Your warranty will be ok on this provided you get it in within 500 miles of the required mileage, so 6,500. Which I understand doesn?t give you a lot of leeway.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Tim, I'll be on the blower at 9am.

The bike has only had its 600 mile running in service back in September 2017. It's a bit worrying 'cos I was due for a family jaunt to the seaside this weekend on the bike, which would easily put 200+ miles on the bike, so theoretically, invalidating my warranty! Grr..

Mucho gratitude for the info.

Sorry to hear this. Please tell me it wasn?t us, I don?t want to be sacking any of my techs today haha....

Normally I would say don?t be too worried about going over the mileage, but I have had experience recently of them throwing out a warranty claim because it was over, so they?ve really tightened up on it.

I?d be getting your retailer to collect your bike and bring you a replacement (if you need one). If they don?t seem to be playing ball, give me a shout and I may be able to help get things moving for you.

It?ll be that the service indicator wasn?t set at the 600 service or PDI I?m afraid. An oversight, but one with significant risk as you?re doing the mileage but also it was due an annual service a year from PDI date (as the 600 is only a check and not classed as a service).

No, it wasn't you guys, your techies are safe for today :). You're a bit too far from me to bring it over for a service - although if you're happy to pick it up, drop me off a XR or HP4, service it and bring it back (with a new rear tyre!) you're very welcome :)

Update: The guy at BMW tells me that the service indicator will come on at 1 calendar year since its last service, or 6000 miles _on top_ of the running in mileage (contrary to your information Tim?) hence why the bike hasn't bleated at me as yet. I'm obviously not an expert on this but I reckon it'd be good to get a definitive answer either way.

The bugger is that they can't even book the bike in for its service for 3 weeks at which point I'll be waaayy over the limited mileage. Time to find a local dealer with availability...

Hello mate.

Do you want to DM me your contact details and I?ll clarify a few bits for you and hopefully help with the service side of things too.

Or you can give me a call at the shop on 01603 622655

Hi Tim - just tried to call - but it rang for ages (after me pressing 2 for sales & repair) then I got cut off :) Perhaps I should have with-held my number so you didn't know it was me :)

I've managed to get Alan Jefferies in Rotherham to service the bike on Friday - which was very good of them to squeeze me in, but happy to discuss further with you. I'll p/m my contact details should you want to speak.

Ta.

Back