2018 akrapovic hp slip on

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T8y

Reaction score
Akrapovic hp slip on. Does anyone have one? They appear to be about ?900-?1000. Do they change the noise much? Quite like the gp version but don?t like the thought of being pulled by the police as it?s a race can.

The GP won't get you in trouble still has the cat in place.
There is no Akra system that will get you in trouble...even the decat full systems.
The big slip-on is a waste of money IMO.

Akra GP can is quieter than you'd think, regularly get 96 db at Snetterton, got 94 with the factory one.

The GP won't get you in trouble still has the cat in place.
There is no Akra system that will get you in trouble...even the decat full systems.
The big slip-on is a waste of money IMO.

The MoT laws now require a silencer to have the ?E? or British standards marking in order to be road legal. To my knowledge the GP slip-on does not have either of these markings, so even with the cat installed I?m not sure it is technically road legal anymore.
The massive Akrapovic slip-on is fully road homologated, and so even if the decat headers were fitted would still be fully UK road legal.

Unfortunately these law changes mean our current full systems, or more specifically the silencers fitted, will no longer pass an MoT

- Oli

Yeah, I heard that, the days of sticking tape over the 'not for road use' stamp for the MOT seem to be over.....

Yeah, I heard that, the days of sticking tape over the 'not for road use' stamp for the MOT seem to be over.....

You were the first to bring this to my attention quite some time ago now [emoji846]
This was was reaffirmed recently by a friend of mine who is an MoT tester, when taking my bike for its first MoT!

- Oli

The MoT laws now require a silencer to have the ?E? or British standards marking in order to be road legal. To my knowledge the GP slip-on does not have either of these markings, so even with the cat installed I?m not sure it is technically road legal anymore.
The massive Akrapovic slip-on is fully road homologated, and so even if the decat headers were fitted would still be fully UK road legal.

Unfortunately these law changes mean our current full systems, or more specifically the silencers fitted, will no longer pass an MoT

- Oli

Entirely correct Oli. I?ve now managed to pick up a road legal HP akrapovic at a great price. I could just imagine if you were travelling a bit too fast and the police decided to take a closer look at your ?not for road use? or ?race use only exhaust? when they were considering whether to book you or tell you off!

Yep not a problem if you have slip on can which takes 5 minutes to swap over but if you have a full system fitted (akra on the RC8 I had at the time) it's now a major pain at MOT time

Entirely correct Oli. I?ve now managed to pick up a road legal HP akrapovic at a great price. I could just imagine if you were travelling a bit too fast and the police decided to take a closer look at your ?not for road use? or ?race use only exhaust? when they were considering whether to book you or tell you off!

Cheers and congratulations on your new silencer!

Just to be clear though, no Akrapovic silencer has any words to the effect of ?not for road use?. The problem is simply that they have no road homologation markings, which is no longer acceptable.

As Mac says, with regards to MoT?s, it?s not much of an issue for slip-on?s. But for full systems it?s a massive PITA!
I fully agree with you though, if an informed copper sees an illegal silencer, they?re inevitably going to be that bit more likely to nick us. This is why I always use a full size plate, in the hope I?ll get a brownie point lol

- Oli

Last edited:
Ok...well technically cars need cats to be road legal after a certain age. And there are thousands without. Weirdly they aren't being pulled over that often.

But please do put your oem system back on.

That giant akra is as quiet as stock so still pointless.

- Alex

Just to be clear though, no Akrapovic silencer has any words to the effect of ?not for road use?. The problem is simply that they have no road homologation markings, which is no longer acceptable

- Oli

Yes they will just lack an E stamp which now makes them illegal for road use. I was thinking of old termignoni?s on my 1198 which were sneakily marked ?not for road use? on the upper part of the can and hid by the rear seat. I was also thinking that if I ever go for a full system, as you correctly intimated, the exhaust will still be E stamped and road legal😜

Ok...well technically cars need cats to be road legal after a certain age. And there are thousands without. Weirdly they aren't being pulled over that often.

But please do put your oem system back on.

That giant akra is as quiet as stock so still pointless.

- Alex
It?s partly for aesthetics and I may also get the akra headers at some stage.

It?s partly for aesthetics and I may also get the akra headers at some stage.

If you?re contemplating upgrading to a full system down the line, I personally would go for the massive Akra silencer that is fully road homologated.
It looks better than stock (IMO), and when you fit the headers down the line it?ll sound good and still be fully UK road legal. There are still no emissions tests for motorcycles, so no requirement for a catalytic converter.

If I was buying a new RR today, the above combination would be what I would choose. With a RapidBike Race fuel module (forum discount available to Premier Members)

- Oli

Last edited:
If you?re contemplating upgrading to a full system down the line, I personally would go for the massive Akra silencer that is fully road homologated. It looks better than stock, and when you fit the headers down the line it?ll sound good and still be fully UK road legal. There are no emissions tests for motorcycles, so no requirement for a catalytic converter.

If I was buying a new RR today, the above combination would be what I would choose. With a RapidBike Race fuel module (forum discount available to Premier Members)

- Oli
Great minds think alike! That?s what I?m aiming to do when the funds allow the rest and your logic is exactly the same as mine.

Just to be clear though, no Akrapovic silencer has any words to the effect of ?not for road use?. The problem is simply that they have no road homologation markings, which is no longer acceptable.

As Mac says, with regards to MoT?s, it?s not much of an issue for slip-on?s. But for full systems it?s a massive PITA!
I fully agree with you though, if an informed copper sees an illegal silencer, they?re inevitably going to be that bit more likely to nick us. This is why I always use a full size plate, in the hope I?ll get a brownie point lol

- Oli

'Informed' coppers will tend to give you a warning first on plates/exhaust/black visors (unless you ride in well known hot spots in which case they might just slap a fine on you) so no need to suddenly ditch these tasteful additions too readily but the net's definitely tightening..

Yes they will just lack an E stamp which now makes them illegal for road use. I was thinking of old termignoni?s on my 1198 which were sneakily marked ?not for road use? on the upper part of the can and hid by the rear seat. I was also thinking that if I ever go for a full system, as you correctly intimated, the exhaust will still be E stamped and road legal[emoji12]

Yea I never understood why so many exhaust companies put the ?not for road use? markings, surely better to just leave it blank lol

- Oli

'Informed' coppers will tend to give you a warning first on plates/exhaust/black visors (unless you ride in well known hot spots in which case they might just slap a fine on you) so no need to suddenly ditch these tasteful additions too readily but the net's definitely tightening..

Fully agree, I still have my Akra Evo system installed and have no intentions of going back to OEM lol.
All I mean is that going forward, when purchasing in future, these new laws are something we need to bare in mind.
With regard to warnings etc, my logic is that if I?m pulled for speeding and my bike is fully road legal, then I?m more likely to be given a warning than if my bike has an illegal silencer and a small plate.

What I find interesting though with regard to these new law changes, is that there?s still no emissions testing, when London is implementing a congestion type change for bikes past a certain age now. Seems strange when even a modern bike doesn?t need a catalyser ... ?
Not that I am complaining lol, well about the lack of emissions testing at least!

- Oli

Last edited:
Fully agree, I still have my Akra Evo system installed and have no intentions of going back to OEM lol.
All I mean is that going forward, when purchasing in future, these new laws are something we need to bare in mind.
With regard to warnings etc, my logic is that if I’m pulled for speeding and my bike is fully road legal, then I’m more likely to be given a warning than if my bike has an illegal silencer and a small plate.

What I find interesting though with regard to these new law changes, is that there’s still no emissions testing, when London is implementing a congestion type change for bikes past a certain age now. Seems strange when even a modern bike doesn’t need a catalyser ... ?
Not that I am complaining lol, well about the lack of emissions testing at least!

- Oli

Yeah make the most of it Oli, most right minded people want to protect the environment but some of the current and proposed vehicle legislation defies logic

Even with a full system, some of them you can put your original silencer back on for the mot :)

Back