Removing gunk from underneath bike?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skynet-T800

Reaction score
Any tips guys?

Trying to get rid of the gunk/oil stains off the engine (the bare metal bits) and also suspension linkage.

What's and effective to use?

I hate dirt and sports bikes never stay clean :disgust:

Buy some gunk mate..its water soluble but if's it's heavy shit.. paraffin as previously advised..just get on with it lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I was going to ask something similar regarding cleaning. Basically I came back from a late night ride and I was very tidy and I usually wait a while for the bike to cool down before putting on my bike cover but as I knew I had work in the morning and was going to crash instant I put the cover on as soon as I got home.

In the morning the hot bike had melted through the plastic on the bike cover and the fabric strap that ties/clips the bike cover down. When riding i could smell burning. On inspection it was the plastic that had hardened on the bikes exhaust right at the bottom of the bike/underneath. It was almost liquid/bubbling and managed to wipe most of it away with tissue/cloth but there is that small streak that you can sometimes smell when riding. Wondering how to clean that all of and get it shiny again.

Cheers

Not an easy one mate...done same with the plastic bit off my Sidi Vortice boots in Europe last year...slip on was covered in melted plastic...my solution was to replace my slip on, sorry can't help otherwise..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi Venemous, if you wait for it to be stone cold it may be easier to pick it off. Alternatively get it hot and molten and then pour ice cold water over it to cool it quickly, the plastic will crystallise and break off. I did similar with a plastic bag of sand and my GSA exhaust, absolutely stinking when it melted.
You can then just polish up the pipe with Autosol or any other metal polish. The more you ride it the less it will smell.

Good luck mate.

JimmyMac

Hi Venemous, if you wait for it to be stone cold it may be easier to pick it off. Alternatively get it hot and molten and then pour ice cold water over it to cool it quickly, the plastic will crystallise and break off. I did similar with a plastic bag of sand and my GSA exhaust, absolutely stinking when it melted.
You can then just polish up the pipe with Autosol or any other metal polish. The more you ride it the less it will smell.

Good luck mate.

JimmyMac

Thanks. That ice cold idea sounds like a good one. I'll give that one a try today when I get in from work.

If you have a Janitorial supply shop nearby, get some Virosol. You can dilute it with water, great for shifting oil, built up grime, insects, brake dust etc. Jet it off after and job done !!. Dirt cheap (scuse the pun) for 5l which will last you a very long time. Superb on car alloys as well.

Stuart

If you have a Janitorial supply shop nearby, get some Virosol. You can dilute it with water, great for shifting oil, built up grime, insects, brake dust etc. Jet it off after and job done !!. Dirt cheap (scuse the pun) for 5l which will last you a very long time. Superb on car alloys as well.

Stuart

Thats what I have in my commercial cleaners, clean my bikes, cars and Stuarts house with it. Just don't let it dry on finished surfaces. Usually buy it in 20 litre drums, never thought it was cheap but then again I make scrooge look benevolent, lol.

JimmyMac

Back