Ignition Key nightmare

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisH

Reaction score
Just been out today a ride on my 2017 RR and had a bit of a nightmare with the ignition key. I use the one with the silver metal band around it with the BMW embossed logo and this is attached to a key ring with a couple of other keys. Looked down whilst riding to see the key band falling away. Managed to stop ok to find that the two halves of the silver metal band had separated and actually detached from the key itself. Close examination reveals the internal rivet holding the two halves had failed. I was jolly lucky I didn't loose the other keys on the keyring. Anyone had a similar problem ?

Thanks

Chris

IMG_0167.jpg

I?ve seen this once with an XR key but never separate completely.
That won?t be a problem for your dealer to sort under warranty :)

The worrying part is that the hole for the ring doesn't actually connect to the key body, I might go to the backup key that doesn't have the metal trim

I don't have anything else attached to the key except the dealer fob. Reduces the risk somewhat.

Surprised having extra keys attached isn't doing a lot of damage to the ignition area of the bike as they flap around in the breeze, I don't even have a fob fitted for that reason.

Surprised having extra keys attached isn't doing a lot of damage to the ignition area of the bike as they flap around in the breeze, I don't even have a fob fitted for that reason.

+1 just the bike key for me too

- Oli

Just been out today a ride on my 2017 RR and had a bit of a nightmare with the ignition key. I use the one with the silver metal band around it with the BMW embossed logo and this is attached to a key ring with a couple of other keys. Looked down whilst riding to see the key band falling away. Managed to stop ok to find that the two halves of the silver metal band had separated and actually detached from the key itself. Close examination reveals the internal rivet holding the two halves had failed. I was jolly lucky I didn't loose the other keys on the keyring. Anyone had a similar problem ?

Thanks

Chris

View attachment 3691

I?ve not had a similar problem but on my previous two bikes I used to have my disc lock keys and chain key attached and when riding they used to flap around quite a bit to the point where they scratched off the paint work around the ignition area. For that reason I now use just the ignition key and nothing else. I keep my other keys in my backpack.

Hey Ven.
Gonna take issue with your definition of an "Ignition Key nightmare".
The following actually happened with me and my RC8R.
Going for a jet spray at the local garage, removed the key and alarm fob as I didn't want it to get wet, obvs.
Heard a plop, left holding the alarm fob cover in my hand, the remainder had spilled it's guts and the key into the drain.
"No problem", I thought, I'll lift the grating and get it out of the sump, can't be that deep...
Half an hour later, both arms covered in scum and shite up to my collar bone (yes face was an inch from the surface), no sign of the fuckers. Taxi home for spare key and wash up...
THAT'S an Ignition Key nightmare.

Back