Use of the throttle on track?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preynol1

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a novice question, but I?ve heard the following twice from different sources, and what it suggests goes against all I?ve ever learnt.

?Road riders accelerate through a turn, but on track you want to keep a closed throttle on corner entry and increase entry speed.?

?Roll through the bends...?

This suggests don?t touch the throttle until your picking the bike up on the corner exit.

Comments please.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rule of thumb is - while you're turning the bike throttle must be off.

once you turned the bike, gradually open up the throttle. how gradually - depends on the turn. in some, all you want is to maintain bike speed steady, in others you want to accelerate as quick as possible.

+1
Simon Crafar says in MotoVudo that if you are unable to approach the apex of a corner with a closed throttle, then your entry speed was insufficient.

Another good rule I?ve heard is add throttle or lean, never both.

I?ve got a copy of MotoVudu that you are more than welcome to borrow Paul, can bring it when we next meet if you like?

- Oli

Last edited:
By getting the turning done, they mean, closed throttle till you're through the Apex and on-a-line ready to pick the bike up and drive to the next corner.

Running in without enough entry speed is my biggest issue. I.e I brake too much.

- Alex

When a corner is a very long sweeper the entry is the same, but you may need a balanced partial throttle to maintain speed rather than lose any more.

- Alex

Throttle

If you are chasing lap times you want to be on the throttle as hard as possible as soon as you are past the apex.

at CSS we were told never increase throttle and lean angle at the same time. when you watch people highsiding on youtube most are caused by people adding throttle and lean angle at the same time.

Dean Skipper does motovudu in the UK at most MSVT events.He is very good and it is done the Simon Crafar way).Also a lot cheaper than getting Simon to come over to the UK!

Dean Skipper does motovudu in the UK at most MSVT events.He is very good and it is done the Simon Crafar way).Also a lot cheaper than getting Simon to come over to the UK!

Glen Richards is Motovudu in the UK as well as Dean.

does "slow in, Fast out" still apply?
ie off throttlw to apex then gradually apply throttle to exit, but dont back throttle off once applied?

All depends on entry to corner. Aragon turn 8 is a long uphill sweeper after a very slow entry (corkscrew). Not only are you on the throttle but you go up 3 gears whilst at full lean before you hit the apex.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

+1
Simon Crafar says in MotoVudo that if you are unable to approach the apex of a corner with a closed throttle, then your entry speed was insufficient.

Another good rule I?ve heard is add throttle or lean, never both.

I?ve got a copy of MotoVudu that you are more than welcome to borrow Paul, can bring it when we next meet if you like?

- Oli

Thanks for the offer, but I?ve got one. Nearest I get to getting my knee down is picking it up of the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back