Oil

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash1000

Reaction score
Hi Lads n Lasses. hope your all enjoying the weather,, another question about oil... if anyone can help??will it matter if i put 10 40w in my bike or is it meant to be 5 40w?? whats the difference?
if i search s1000rr oil on ebay it gives me the 10 40.. castrol? is this good?.. I work for a charity and my wages are shite so keeping a s1000rr on the road is tight, so im always out for the cheaper option if i can be... lol... but to much fun to change bikes and also filter? k&n? hi flo? please help friends
Im told the Motul 300V is the mutts nutts of oil?
thank you all again for the help i receive from this site

Hey Ash,

You could arguably put any old cheap motorcycle oil in and it would probably be ok.

However, BMW recommends 5w40 for a reason, a lot of design and r&d went into the engine so I would always recommend keeping to manufacturers recommendations.

With regard to brand, as long as it is a well established brand and it is specifically sold as motorcycle oil then it?s up to you. I use Castrol, BMW used to recommend castrol now they have their own brand of oil.

Mahle filters are BMW Standard fitment without the BMW box.

Although it can be expensive, at least when you have used the best components you have the peace of mind... I wouldn?t want to be caning it down a country lane wondering if the oil I put in was doing it?s job or not!

HI Stephen , thank you for your reply.thats me sorted so.... i use 5 40 without doubt. thanks again

I was told that you also can use 15/50 in track bikes.
I know alot of people doing that without any issues. I am too.... 300V.

But to be honest, I dont know, I just do what the people around me tell me to do :redface-new:

90% of engine wear is at start up due to low oil flow and un coated surface wear.
Short journeys also do not help as the oil temp may not reach the temp range to reach the high wear areas of the engine in the head, such as cams followers etc.
Generally oil viscosity ratings are the same over a temp range to try to improve this with the addition of additives. Hence two numbers in the oil rating. The first being the lower temp the ideal viscosity is reached and the second the upper.

All oils cheap or expensive contain a lot of the additives to improve oil performance in the engine over large temp ranges. However, as well as clinging to the engine parts they also cling to the contamination and particles, which are in turn filtered out. So all oils cheap and expensive will loose protection ability over time.

As long as the oil meets an SAE standard they will perform to the same industry standards.

The advice I had from the experts was more oil changes with lower cost oils are just as good if not better than less changes with expensive oils.

Your journey time and how you warm the bike up play as big a factor as the price of the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup good stuff there. 5w is quick to protect. Good for normal use.
I'd go for 10w on a bike that is generally track on warm days.
15w sounds a little thick for starting but race engine builders like HM Racing should know whats best.

- Alex

Back