Rosso 3. Tyre Pressures

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huge

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
At Brands Indy tomorrow. What pressures should I run on the road, and what pressures for the track?
It's not Almiera, but the temp will be mid twenties. OOI, would the pressures be different on a really hot day (ie. mid thirties)?
Thoughts welcome. H

I've been running Pirellis for years and always found 36/36 on the road and 30/30 on the track (and driving there) a good starting point, I that helps?

At Brands Indy tomorrow. What pressures should I run on the road, and what pressures for the track?
It's not Almiera, but the temp will be mid twenties. OOI, would the pressures be different on a really hot day (ie. mid thirties)?
Thoughts welcome. H

Road will be personal preference on feel. I used them at 33f and 38/39r on the road but it was not as hot as it is currently so would drop them down to 31/32f and 36r at the moment.

Track a good starting point will be 30f 28r. Check the tyres after each session for degradation etc, you know all that stuff anyways lol.

Thoughts welcome. H
Day or evening? I'm there evening! Looks perfect eh? I'll be going 31f and 28 rear but possibly down to 24r if there are problems, but that's with pirelli diablos. I'd go 31f 28r for the rosso 3's

...Check the tyres after each session for degradation etc, you know all that stuff anyways lol.
Thanks Andy. Actually I don't know any of this stuff. Although I've done quite a few trackdays, I've never before altered tyre pressures or suspension. "Ride it out of the box", is my usual motto.
Howver, I'm gonna experiment with tyre pressures tomorrow, and you guys have given me some great advice to be going on with.

... I'm there evening! ...
Hey Z. I'm there during the day, I'll look out for you at swap over. What colour bike you got?
You can't miss me, I'm eighteen feet tall, on a black and white RR with red decals.

----------------------

QUESTION:
How does the bike behave on softer pressures and on harder pressures? What should I look out for (front and rear) to help me fine tune in the right direction.

Last edited:
California Superbike school runs them at 30-28 I believe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks Andy. Actually I don't know any of this stuff. Although I've done quite a few trackdays, I've never before altered tyre pressures or suspension. "Ride it out of the box", is my usual motto.
Howver, I'm gonna experiment with tyre pressures tomorrow, and you guys have given me some great advice to be going on with.

Hey Z. I'm there during the day, I'll look out for you at swap over. What colour bike you got?
You can't miss me, I'm eighteen feet tall, on a black and white RR with red decals.

----------------------

QUESTION:
How does the bike behave on softer pressures and on harder pressures? What should I look out for (front and rear) to help me fine tune in the right direction.
Ok I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. I'll be on the black std grubby one red/black shoei.

QUESTION:

It's a huge difference and depending how hard you push can easily send you into low side. Although, TC is very advanced on this bike and will help you for sure.

I would say tires/pressures and suspension settings are the 2 fundamental settings to you must understand and control.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

QUESTION:

Pirelli is soft carcass and needs pressure to support it.
The tyre should look used but relatively smooth as it's a road tyre. Any tearing would indicate something is wrong...or you're taking it beyond its capability. Don't confuse tearing with wear 'debris'. The shoulder/drive zone is going to take the most punishment as you drive off the big corners, RACE DTC -2 in USER Mode would be a starting point to protect it.

I'd go with 32/29 f/r +/- 1 either way. Cold.

If you're low on pressure the first lap may take more effort than usual to steer, this is because the tyre is deforming more and has a bigger contact patch, persist and it should improve with heat. If it doesn't you've probably taken out too much pressure.

Pay attention to your fork travel (zip tie on one helps). If you're smashing the zip tie to the bottom under braking then you need to increase preload (and do a DDC Calib). You will brake harder on the track than usual. Although, Brands Indy isn't that hard on brakes as it's so short with the biggest braking zone uphill (helping).

Last edited:
Just spotted your bike. Popped a potato in the exhaust by way of hello, Lol. If I don?t see you have fun. It?s been an epic day.

Very glad to hear you?ve had a great day Hugh, and I hope you have an equally great evening Z!

It was a really good evening! Perfect weather, not too busy. Good to meet you very briefly Huge, sign on/noise testing/prep and briefing was a bit manic I was running late after work! let me know next time you go again, we can make a day of it.

It was a really good evening! Perfect weather, not too busy. Good to meet you very briefly Huge, sign on/noise testing/prep and briefing was a bit manic I was running late after work! let me know next time you go again, we can make a day of it.
You too, Z. Hope you had a good one. H

Back