Wet Tyres

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kennybush

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm probably over thinking (working nightshift out here has that effect) about tyres for my first proper trackday at knockhill in a few weeks. Only ever done a couple of Ron Haslam days, and I've booked a James whitham day at knockhill to slowly edge myself into trackdays and build my self confidence.

Bike has a set or metzelar k3's on it at the moment (possibly have power rs by trackday, but doubt they'll be changed by then).

I'm thinking I might try getting a pair of wets to have in the van, as it is knockhill and rain is more than likely going to be an issue.

What's the advice from the trackday regulars and racers? Stop thinking and trust the k3's/power RS's, or buy a set of used/new wets?

What size of wets should I be looking for? 190/55 wets don't seem to be as common as 190/60 sizes. Would 60 profile cause any issues with standard suspension settings or TC?

You will generally only find 190/60 wets and you will have no issues with TC. Just remember you have to push with wets fitted to retain heat and generate grip. That and only use them when you see spray coming off the rear tyre on track as if not you will destroy them very quickly. If you do purchase wets I would only ever buy them new as it?s not worth the risk using scrubs.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm hoping I'll be able to push reasonably well (for a beginner!) but whether I'll be able to push hard enough to keep them hot I don't know. When I did the Haslam days weather was good, and didn't take too long to get up to a decent pace, but that was following an instructor the whole time.

What's the risks of using scrubs? Just not knowing the heat cycles or impacts the tyres had before hand, or is there other unknowns that could cause a catastrophic blow out?

Is there any makes that you would personally say to avoid? Or any that would be better for a novice?

Always buy new wets simply as the tread pattern will be at its absolute optimum for dispersing water. If you have never used them before this will be of benefit as riding on full race wets is very different to normal treaded tyres. Used race wets are generally sold on for a reason... because they are past their best. As for pushing you need to do so from the second you take the tyre warmers off and exit pit lane. If not you will rapidly lose heat and the sensation will be very much akin to riding on ice and is thoroughly unpleasant. It then makes it very difficult to confidently push harder to get the heat back in them in order to generate grip. Once you are up to pace the amount of grip you can find on a wet track is unbelievable but it takes confidence to get to that point.

The only advice I would offer regarding which to buy is to stick with the brand that you use in the dry. It just means that there will be some similarity of feel between the two but note that only really applies to race tyres and not those designed for road use.

Trackday

All said and done if it?s your first trackday I really wouldn?t bother and just get out on the bike and build your confidence and experience. That and use the available trackday instructors as we are there to offer free guidance and tuition!

Re: Trackday

All said and done if it’s your first trackday I really wouldn’t bother and just get out on the bike and build your confidence and experience. That and use the available trackday instructors as we are there to offer free guidance and tuition!
+1 on that. Don't give yourself too much to think about. On my first few trackdays I just followed people around to get a feel for lines, braking and speed. You can learn a lot by tagging onto someone who's a bit faster than yourself too. They'll either clear off or you'll learn to keep up. Most of all, enjoy yersel.

What date are you booked on? I have a couple in June I'm looking to book so I will see you there for help. I've been doing them for years up there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What date are you booked on? I have a couple in June I'm looking to book so I will see you there for help. I've been doing them for years up there.

Booked on Monday the 16th, booked through the Whitham website.
I'll be the one looking very nervous wobbling around on the S1k!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. I think i'll hang fire, and see what the weather forecast is looking like the week before, and if looking bad, i can try ordering new tyres on next day delivery, or from ERS at Knockhill.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you're. The way I'm approaching to this, if I'm able to run in Advance group tempo, say be in first 30%, I will get wets when it rains, otherwise I will just stick with threaded Rosso III / Rosso Corso II.

If it rains and there is standing water and spray wets are a must IMO or sit the session out till it dries up

If it rains and there is standing water and spray wets are a must IMO or sit the session out till it dries up

Thats what I'm worried about. I've spent a shed load of money already for this, last thing i want is to go all the way to Knockhill, and not get to take part in the track day. The weather there has a heck of a reputation for having its own little micro climate!

Thats what I'm worried about. I've spent a shed load of money already for this, last thing i want is to go all the way to Knockhill, and not get to take part in the track day. The weather there has a heck of a reputation for having its own little micro climate!
Easiest and cheapest way around it is not to book Knock hill lol . You're more likely to see rain and snow than sunshine in June at Knockhill lol. Joking aside you could just buy some from the tyre guys on the day if it rains.

I can't make the 16th. Wets on any track are excellent. You need to have a spare set of wheels on wets with you so the weather doesn't dictate your tracktime. I love the wet and the grip is mindblowing. I have many vids on YouTube at Knockhill including wet if you want to have a looks. My username is megabusa55.
Cheers

Re: Trackday

All said and done if it?s your first trackday I really wouldn?t bother and just get out on the bike and build your confidence and experience. That and use the available trackday instructors as we are there to offer free guidance and tuition!
+1,

Enjoy your day, try to keep relaxed and drink plenty of water. I hope the weather is favorable for you.

I really am looking forward to this, its all I've been talking about, and thinking about at work the last few days, and it still 3 weeks away!!!

I think i am just over thinking tyres etc, and am sure as soon as i get home from work next week I'll relax about it, as I'll be to busy trying to get the fairings painted and all the bits and pieces I've been ordering fitted before going away.

Best part of booking it is its given me a kick up the backside to get to the gym everyday at work!

Back