Police S1000RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oli

Reaction score
Popped over to Hideout Leather yesterday and saw this Police S1000RR, was quite cool but also rather terrifying to see one up close lol

17bc1323b5363444ff3f13dbfbabc2f1.jpg
be7af39dee985aaf524a10736c837ef7.jpg

FFS. Anyone who's ridden an RT will know they're slow as anything, but there's no clearing off when they're riding what you got too. Looks like he get's it leaned over too. Scary.

Not as scary as some of the riders, lol.

e4f44a74e8e681cc43a66f7096077667.jpg

Should have asked for a seat on it and a selfie Oli, most Coppers don?t bite.

JimmyMac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come up to Norfolk, they have a Black/Silver unmarked one thats out almost every day :)

Well that?s reassuring lol ...

FFS. Anyone who's ridden an RT will know they're slow as anything, but there's no clearing off when they're riding what you got too. Looks like he get's it leaned over too. Scary.

You?ll love a GSA then Hugh [emoji6]
Have you tried an XR?

Not as scary as some of the riders, lol.

e4f44a74e8e681cc43a66f7096077667.jpg

Should have asked for a seat on it and a selfie Oli, most Coppers don?t bite.

JimmyMac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Copper is a nice chap, I?ve seen him at Hideout leather several times, he has a GSA too (personal bike) and let someone take it for a spin last time I was there!

Great photo by the way [emoji41]

...You’ll love a GSA then Hugh [emoji6]...Have you tried an XR?...
I've done long test rides on the GSA and new Triumph Tiger 1200. Next up is KTM SA.S and the Multistrada Enduro. The XR is off the menu as it's not off-roader (although the Triumph apparently isn't up to it either). I'll do a write up when I've done the other two.

I've done long test rides on the GSA and new Triumph Tiger 1200. Next up is KTM SA.S and the Multistrada Enduro. The XR is off the menu as it's not off-roader (although the Triumph apparently isn't up to it either). I'll do a write up when I've done the other two.

All sounds good to me Hugh, shall look forward to reading your test-ride reports in due course!

Did you like the GSA?

...Did you like the GSA?
Thanks Oli. The GSA is a really interesting bike. Amazing equipment and I know it's fast after following Jimmy and Andy through the Cairngorms, and my test ride confirmed that, but my problem is it didn't feel fast or exciting which I reckon is down to the suspension and lack of mid range. It is a brilliant bike though and I reckon perfect for eating up mega miles in comfort.
The flatness in the mid-range is to be expected from a boxer, but it's surprisingly gut-less for a 1200. Too similar to a couple of the (yawn) RT loaners I've had recently. One needs instant grunt when overtaking all day on busy roads which is where I spend a lot of my time down south. I took advice and experimented with gears and revs the whole day, but there was no magic grunty window.
We all do biking for different reasons, and for me if I can't 'make progress' safely, I'd rather go on four wheels. H

There is a new R1250 GS being launched for MY 19 I believe. Might be worth trying that as there will be a bit more ooomph?
I agree the GS is an excellent bike in so many ways, I am intrigued to try a GSA though as have heard so much positive feedback vs the GS I had for the weekend.

The KTM SA-S and Ducati Multistrada Enduro will be the fastest offerings in the Adventure sector.

Decisions decisions [emoji41]

I would not be looking at the ducati if you want something thats going to do a bit of getting dirty. The ktm would be the pick of the bunch for performance and ruggedness for me. The GSA is a beast of a bike and needs riding with a great deal of forward planning, which fits nicely with the advanced training methods, I have never had any issues making progress on mine. I left you guys around 11? Was home by 5.30 if not a bit earlier.

Last edited:
Owned a GSA and have test ridden a 1290SA. Shaft drive on Beemer brilliant in winter and the LC models quick enough and fun to ride. KTM is a fast bike and handles very well for it's size. For me the GSA is a better contrast if you own a sports bike as well, I think you'd find you'd ride your S1K less if you went for the KTM. Nice problem to have.

It's a pity taxpayers money isn't going on resurfacing Roads to make them safer instead of providing the "thin blue line" evermore extravagant "trophies" (gather they also had a Pani V4) to parade in front of us.....

I read the Pani was on loan from Ducati. I know what you mean re roads but I don't think you'd get much resurfacing done for the price of a vinyl wrap!

There is a new R1250 GS being launched for MY 19 I believe. Might be worth trying that as there will be a bit more ooomph?...
Can't see it making much difference, Oli. However, a change of avatar is definitely in order for the mighty GSA!

I would not be looking at the ducati if you want something thats going to do a bit of getting dirty. The ktm would be the pick of the bunch for performance and ruggedness for me. The GSA is a beast of a bike and needs riding with a great deal of forward planning, which fits nicely with the advanced training methods, I have never had any issues making progress on mine. I left you guys around 11? Was home by 5.30 if not a bit earlier.
Spot on Andy. It's fast but requires forward planning which is perfectly reasonable. I often find myself in heavy traffic and reckon it's simply not gonna be nippy enough for my kind of riding. If I was going round the world, the GSA would be a no brainer.

...For me the GSA is a better contrast if you own a sports bike as well, I think you'd find you'd ride your S1K less if you went for the KTM. Nice problem to have.
Good point Mac, it'll be a nice dilemma if I can get the cash together...

With respect it costs next to nothing to lease a bike compared to fixing a road.

Billions need investing in roads, Police budgets are very much separate. I doubt they pay full ticket as its good advertising for BMW.

- Alex

Actually, there is a dedicated offshoot of motorrad that deals exclusively with the emergency services (all over the world not just the uk). The uk guys are based in London, cant recall the name at this moment. The bikes are not retail bikes usually, but modified at the factory to cope with the high miles and additional power requirements etc (as in electrical consumption, not bhp).

I know this from my blood biking duties when we were pitched a new fleet of RTs by their main man in the UK.

Last edited:
If it's a marketing gimmick, BMW are doing themselves no favours by letting the coppers add all that crappy luggage on the bike. Motorrad Tail and Tank bag would've finished it off better.
Makes me laugh thinking about the breathalysers and penalty notices flying out of that saggy tail bag as he's chasing down some 'bad guys'.

Its a gen1/2 tail pack. Gen3 is nicer imo.

Bagster is at least protecting residual value.

- Alex

If it's a marketing gimmick, BMW are doing themselves no favours by letting the coppers add all that crappy luggage on the bike. Motorrad Tail and Tank bag would've finished it off better.
Makes me laugh thinking about the breathalysers and penalty notices flying out of that saggy tail bag as he's chasing down some 'bad guys'.

That is a BMW tail bag Huge.

Probably fitted by a six Fingered Norfolk mechanic at HQ.

JimmyMac

Back