My RoSPA Journey with EAMG

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oli

Reaction score
Just thought I?d start a thread to document my Advanced training.

I?ve contemplated pursuing advanced training for a number of years now, but was never fully convinced as always had the stereotype of high-vis everything and regarding 67 mph in a national as rather naughty lol.
Anyway, after joining my first ride-out lead by @phil my preconceptions were kicked into touch and pretty much instantaneously decided I wanted to learn RoadCraft and take the RoSPA test.
Since that first experience my desire to learn RoadCraft has been re-affirmed on subsequent ride-outs and indeed on the Forum NC~700 trip.

In my motorcycle journey thus far it has become apparent that we all reach a point where in order to enjoy riding more, we must improve our skills as riders, be it on road and/or track, as it is almost always the human component that is the weak link, not the machine.
That is my primary motivation for learning RoadCraft, though as a younger rider if there is any insurance discount to be gained upon passing the RoSPA test then that is a bonus!

So, after I got to the unofficial end of my Ph.D. I joined the Essex Advanced Motorcyclists Group (EAMG). I chose EAMG for two reasons, firstly it?s one of my local groups and secondly, and more importantly to me, there are a few forum members who are also EAMG members, so though it would be nice to keep it in the family so to speak [emoji6]

So far I?ve had an introductory observed ride with @phil, and today I?ve just got back from my first official observed ride with @preynol1, who is my observer.
Today?s route was as follows: Boreham > Mersea > Colchester > Tiptree > Felsted > Chelmsford.
Have got to say both rides have been fantastic and really enjoyed it, though it is remarkably fatiguing being ?observed?!
When under observation you essentially ride to the official national speed limit, in addition to all other speed limits (as one does).
Whilst the speeds are modest at all times, the fatiguing aspect is that you are constantly reading unfamiliar roads, thinking of road position, thinking of what speed you get up to when overtaking etc. Oh and not to mention you must regularly check your mirrors to see when your observer (and examiner!) want you to take a junction/exit. Essentially it is an organised system for riding which, albeit simple on paper, really requires a lot of concentration to successfully put in to practice. I hope that in time this all becomes second nature and thus less fatiguing.

@phil leant me the book ?How to be a better rider? which is an excellent read and has already helped me with my riding.

Essentially the main areas I need to work on are pre-overtaking positioning and observation skills when overtaking (keeping an eye out for junctions etc). There are of course other more detailed aspects I need to work on, but that?s the gist of it.
Tell you what, this is perhaps the first time ?homework? is rather fun lol [emoji12]

Am looking forward to practicing and indeed my next observed rides with the A-team that is @preynol1 and @phil [emoji41]

Ride safe and have fun!

Oli

Last edited:
In a similar theme to you Oli, I thought about doing something like this, so did the free observed ride with the IAM with a view to becoming a more competent road rider. The observed ride went well, but on the way back, my observer took the lead as he talked me through his decision making process regarding road position, speed, things he's looking for etc.. Then went for an overtake and nearly got wiped out by a car coming the other way! Anyway, as the course had a discount code (and I am a Yorkie) I decided I'd do it, but I tried booking it 3 times over the phone, 3 times the call went to answer machine, and 3 times I never received a call back and I've not tried since ... meh... Maybe I should try RoSPA ..

I am off to a BikeSafe session with South Yorkshire Police next week ... I'm just hoping it's not a honeytrap and they're just waiting for me to wobble through their gates before locking them behind me for the next 8 years.

Just thought I’d start a thread to document my Advanced training.

I’ve contemplated pursuing advanced training for a number of years now, but was never fully convinced as always had the stereotype of high-vis everything and regarding 67 mph in a national as rather naughty lol.
Anyway, after joining my first ride-out lead by @phil my preconceptions were kicked into touch and pretty much instantaneously decided I wanted to learn RoadCraft and take the RoSPA test.
Since that first experience my desire to learn RoadCraft has been re-affirmed on subsequent ride-outs and indeed on the Forum NC~700 trip.

In my motorcycle journey thus far it has become apparent that we all reach a point where in order to enjoy riding more, we must improve our skills as riders, be it on road and/or track, as it is almost always the human component that is the weak link, not the machine.
That is my primary motivation for learning RoadCraft, though as a younger rider if there is any insurance discount to be gained upon passing the RoSPA test then that is a bonus!

So, after I got to the unofficial end of my Ph.D. I joined the Essex Advanced Motorcyclists Group (EAMG). I chose EAMG for two reasons, firstly it’s one of my local groups and secondly, and more importantly to me, there are a few forum members who are also EAMG members, so though it would be nice to keep it in the family so to speak [emoji6]

So far I’ve had an introductory observed ride with @phil, and today I’ve just got back from my first official observed ride with @preynol1, who is my observer.
Today’s route was as follows: Boreham > Mersea > Colchester > Tiptree > Felsted > Chelmsford.
Have got to say both rides have been fantastic and really enjoyed it, though it is remarkably fatiguing being “observed”!
When under observation you essentially ride to the official national speed limit, in addition to all other speed limits (as one does).
Whilst the speeds are modest at all times, the fatiguing aspect is that you are constantly reading unfamiliar roads, thinking of road position, thinking of what speed you get up to when overtaking etc. Oh and not to mention you must regularly check your mirrors to see when your observer (and examiner!) want you to take a junction/exit. Essentially it is an organised system for riding which, albeit simple on paper, really requires a lot of concentration to successfully put in to practice. I hope that in time this all becomes second nature and thus less fatiguing.

@phil leant me the book “How to be a better rider” which is an excellent read and has already helped me with my riding.

Essentially the main areas I need to work on are pre-overtaking positioning and observation skills when overtaking (keeping an eye out for junctions etc). There are of course other more detailed aspects I need to work on, but that’s the gist of it.
Tell you what, this is perhaps the first time “homework” is rather fun lol [emoji12]

Am looking forward to practicing and indeed my next observed rides with the A-team that is @preynol1 and @phil [emoji41]

Ride safe and have fun!

Oli
Well done Oli, why the hell wouldn’t you take more training? From my experience of both IAM and ROSPA, the skills and input you get are essential, not optional. How the f*k are you supposed to survive with a frankly lethal weapon after taking just a legal test??? The perspective you get from ‘The System’ will keep you alive, if nothing else. Be aware though that not all of the advice you’ll get will sit right, ignore most of the stuff about ‘making progress’ as you’re not chasing down a desperado with a criminal record and having to prove yourself by making marignal passes on the road. Soak it up, ride your own ride, and be yourself. Good luck and have fun!

I'd really like to do this, but due to where I live, it isn't practical.

There must be someone on Harris/Lewis that has had the training? You should be able to get a weekend training course on the mainland, maybe try to book it in and get a service done while you are over etc.

I did the IAM advanced test soon after my bike test a) because I was a bit shit at reading the roads properly, and b) I needed the qualification to do blood biking (which I did for a few years). I passed with a first which I was delighted with about 6 (from memory) observed rides. Advanced riding will save your life, theres little doubt about that. Just be aware that once you have joined all the dots and ride to the system, other bikers who dont ride to the system will scare the shit out of you. Thats why I usually ride alone or stay well away from those bikers who dont use the system (you will spot them a mile away).

Last edited:
Glad I have inspried you Oli, good idea to ducument your training and I am pleased that you enjoyed your first official Observed ride. I hope this thread opens a few eyes.

There must be someone on Harris/Lewis that has had the training? You should be able to get a weekend training course on the mainland, maybe try to book it in and get a service done while you are over etc.

I was of the understanding that the training would need to be spread out over a few months, didn't think much could be condensed down into an intensive couple of days.

I'll need to ask about with some of the local lads at home if anybody has any training, and/or if anybody would be interested in going away for a few days to do some additional training.

Great to hear you are doing this Oli, did my Police car Roadcraft training back in the day and was taught by one of Princess Diana's drivers. I reckon this training saved me a few times. Keith was the Instructor for bikes and has taught me a lot since we both left the job.
Everyday is a schoolday, Kenny was clearly absent the day we were taught not to drop our bikes outside the Chippy in Blairgowrie.

Soofs right about choosing your riding buddies carefully, when I was at the TT this year Darren the London Cop invited me to ride in front the first time we went out together, I knew was assessing me as its what I also did to him after about 10 miles. Best to let poorly ridden Exocets go their own way rrather than fill your mirrors.

Enjoy your course.

JimmyMac

I was of the understanding that the training would need to be spread out over a few months, didn't think much could be condensed down into an intensive couple of days.
You are correct, the training spread over time would be ideal but as it wont be possible for you the next best thing would be a 2/3day course.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the encouragement and support guys, as always it is greatly appreciated [emoji4]

Am looking forward to updating the thread in due course, and hopefully in time it?ll help encourage others to pursue advanced training.

Hope you?re all having a good week and are enjoying the superb weather [emoji41]

Nice one Oli .. I for one will be looking forward to reading your updates. Might be the gentle push needed for me (and others) to take the plunge with a bit more determination :) Hope it all goes well for you.

Well done Oli, why the hell wouldn?t you take more training? From my experience of both IAM and ROSPA, the skills and input you get are essential, not optional. How the f*k are you supposed to survive with a frankly lethal weapon after taking just a legal test??? The perspective you get from ?The System? will keep you alive, if nothing else. Be aware though that not all of the advice you?ll get will sit right, ignore most of the stuff about ?making progress? as you?re not chasing down a desperado with a criminal record and having to prove yourself by making marignal passes on the road. Soak it up, ride your own ride, and be yourself. Good luck and have fun!

Very well said!
With regard to making progress, Paul (prenol1) explained to me that you should never put pressure on yourself to overtake, in general and when under test conditions. All the examiner is looking for, and all we should be doing, is trying to get into an appropriate position so as to make a ?safe? and efficient overtake when possible.
This came as a slight surprise to me as initially I felt like I was being too hesitant, as didn?t find many over-taking opportunities to begin with, when in fact all was OK.

Thanks again for the kind words :)

Great to hear you are doing this Oli, did my Police car Roadcraft training back in the day and was taught by one of Princess Diana's drivers. I reckon this training saved me a few times. Keith was the Instructor for bikes and has taught me a lot since we both left the job.
Everyday is a schoolday, Kenny was clearly absent the day we were taught not to drop our bikes outside the Chippy in Blairgowrie.

Soofs right about choosing your riding buddies carefully, when I was at the TT this year Darren the London Cop invited me to ride in front the first time we went out together, I knew was assessing me as its what I also did to him after about 10 miles. Best to let poorly ridden Exocets go their own way rrather than fill your mirrors.

Enjoy your course.

JimmyMac

You really do have an absolute wealth of stories Jimmy!
Every day is a school day indeed.
How is Kenny?s back now and how is his K1600? Hopefully his back is 100 % again and the repair bill for his K1600 wasn?t ?too? frightening? Please pass on my regards to Kenny, Keith and your Scottish colleagues who joined us on the NC700.

With regard to choosing riding buddies wisely, I fully agree with yourself and soof.
Whilst this may be hard to believe lol, prior to my joining the forum, I had never ridden with anyone previously!
The first time I had company on a ride was on one of Phil?s ride-outs. So so far I?ve been on rides lead by RoSPA pro?s, an ex cop and an ex blood biker. Think the only way we can raise the bar on this is for Marquez to lead a ride-out lol [emoji6]

Just seen this Oli, I'll be interested to hear how you get on, I've only done the odd bit of track training over the years, there's no doubt you never stop learning, I should probably look at it myself. Agree with Soof and Jimmy re riding with other bikers, I much prefer not to unless I can trust them.

Back