Why GP riders slide rear wheel into the turn

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
Newbie question as usual, but why often GP riders slide rear wheel into the turn ?

I recently had a useful experience where conditions allowed me to experiment with the back coming around. I was on a long ride in heavy rain last year (think I was in Sport mode) and noticed that when I slowed with the engine, the back would come around.
Scary at first but easily controlled with the back brake. I had the OEM tyres from purchase (Bridgestones?), which were very low on tread. Didn't happen with right-hand braking presumably because the back is linked.
Points being, it's really natural when you're used to it and easy to control when you're confident what level the grip is at (if I was half decent I'd investigate it further on track, but I'm not), plus riding in the rain can be fun.
-
This was all on closed roads, obvs.

It?s interesting because in Moto3 they never back in and in MotoGP it varies considerably from rider to rider and bike to bike.
Moto2 is where it is demonstrated most consistently and to the greatest extent (apart from flat track, super-moto etc).
This demonstrates how much it is influenced by chassis design and setup etc.

My understanding is they do it in order to open up the corner exit

I get it everytime I get to Montreal at Snetterton, rear goes light and waves a bit. If only I was as committed to corner speed as I am to the brakes.

I get it everytime I get to Montreal at Snetterton, rear goes light and waves a bit. If only I was as committed to corner speed as I am to the brakes.
Turn 5 at aragon was the one that had the rear stepping out for me. No slipper on my r1 either.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It’s interesting because in Moto3 they never back in and in MotoGP it varies considerably from rider to rider and bike to bike.
Moto2 is where it is demonstrated most consistently and to the greatest extent (apart from flat track, super-moto etc).
This demonstrates how much it is influenced by chassis design and setup etc.

My understanding is they do it in order to open up the corner exit
I assume that with moto3 the speed entering corners is more manageable as the braking power far outweighs the power from the engine, don’t forget they weigh little and therefore scrub off speed quite quickly. So, less ultimate speed heading to a corner, less weight, as much breaking power as you could want = a bike that can whip round a corner with high speed and a low turning moment due to low weight and speed = a quick change of direction on demand. The motogp bike however will arrive much quicker. What do you do? They weigh more, will you get the bike turned? You have 2 options, brake in a straight line (very efficient) or blend braking and turning by backing it in. The result is that you scrub off the speed that you need too AND you get the bike turned by sliding so it’s at least pointing in the right direction. Backing in points you in the right direction and slows you down enough to negotiate the corner. Awesome to watch, far beyond my bravery/idiocy level, and effective. However, it must ruin your rear tyre, I think this is where Lorenzo cleans up, he doesn’t bother so much. Alex Lowes does it all the time, very impressive, but motogp seems to be more about managing the tyres than showboating.
I don’t even have the bottle to use my rear brake on track, I do enjoy the occasional weave around the headstock on heavy braking road and track though. But only on the s1 as it seems to look out for me!

Back