Tyre break in

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take the blinkers off mate.. why so hung up on Pirellis ? Lots of decent rubber out there.. Bridgestone, Mich, Dunlop etc all make quality hoops.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

yea, I use dunlop and bri slicks and happy. just dont quite understand whats the point of using threaded from anyone apart from Pirellis.

yea, I use dunlop and bri slicks and happy. just dont quite understand whats the point of using threaded from anyone apart from Pirellis.
Your making me laugh here bmw bad boy !

Tell you what pal, you just stick to your Pirellis and the other 85% of the world will use the other options....maybe one day everyone will realise where they've gone wrong..it's called choice.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I don't get why you asking, its blindingly obvious. Personal choice.

A) Pirelli are more expensive
B) which adds up when they don't tend to last long for that.
C) The profile isn't to everyone's liking
D) SC's are shit in the wet (this is the UK).
E) there's barely a bad tyre out there...from any leading co.
F) carcass construction is different, hard vs soft at a basic level, some prefer stiffer and Pirelli are soft (hence easy to puncture).

And as you seem to talk about ultimate grip being the no.1 factor...how many Pirelli's made the Podium at the TT? (Superstock)

The Power RS is a great tyre, I know, I have used them. I have also had good fun on an set of Rosso3's. I love the front end confidence from D212's, but have 2 sets of V02's waiting to go. RR K3's are a great tyre like the SC's, same factory...probably the same spec without the premium price. I am currently running around on Conti SA3's, last forever, no moments, I'm on the road not the track. Point is I actually try different tyres, profiles etc, to find what *I* like. I don't just decide that the company spending millions to promote via BSB, WSBK, F1 make the best tyres for me.

- Alex

I'm going either Power RS or Sportsmart TT next, Michelins tempting with money off deal. Agree with the above, there are no 'bad' tyres, just worn out the RS10's on mine which don't get rave reviews but I've found them fine.

Alex is right, tyres are a 'PERSONAL" choice thing. You couldnt get me off a Michelin when my r1 was on the road so when i first got the bm i stuck a set on but for me the profile didnt suit. Went to the rounder profile of the dunlop sportsmart 2s and felt way better. The m7rr was also a brilliant tyre but ive gone back to the Dunlops again. As for Pirelli, i tried them , didnt like them and sold them

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tyres

Pirelli, Metzeler, Bridgestone, Dunlop... it doesn?t really matter. Tyre choice will always be subjective and what you use is ultimately a personal decision. What works for one, track or road, doesn?t always work for all.

Gave in and changed my rear tyre today. Nipped up to the Green Welly to scrub it in...the wee racefit slip on I bought off Malic looks ace but it's a hooligan tool, aka an ASBO can....
Blimey Stu. I thought the can you had on the NC500 was loud enough. I often couldn't hear my (stock) can over yours.

...that last half inch proves elusive tho...
I can only shift that last bit on track. I think it disappears at 45 degrees

...900 of which were the NC500 with the lads..some of the roads up North are rough as f uck so that rear held up really well to last that long...
My last Rosso 3's gave me 2500 miles, they took a real kicking from the NC500. Done Bridgestone and Pirelli. Gonna try Metz next.
-
-
-
Just discovered multiple quote feature. Lol

Last edited:
I don't get why you asking, its blindingly obvious. Personal choice.

A) Pirelli are more expensive
B) which adds up when they don't tend to last long for that.
C) The profile isn't to everyone's liking
D) SC's are shit in the wet (this is the UK).
E) there's barely a bad tyre out there...from any leading co.
F) carcass construction is different, hard vs soft at a basic level, some prefer stiffer and Pirelli are soft (hence easy to puncture).

And as you seem to talk about ultimate grip being the no.1 factor...how many Pirelli's made the Podium at the TT? (Superstock)

The Power RS is a great tyre, I know, I have used them. I have also had good fun on an set of Rosso3's. I love the front end confidence from D212's, but have 2 sets of V02's waiting to go. RR K3's are a great tyre like the SC's, same factory...probably the same spec without the premium price. I am currently running around on Conti SA3's, last forever, no moments, I'm on the road not the track. Point is I actually try different tyres, profiles etc, to find what *I* like. I don't just decide that the company spending millions to promote via BSB, WSBK, F1 make the best tyres for me.

- Alex
There's nothing obvious about tyre choice. Grip, wet, dry, hot cold etc. The big factor for me is profile. Everyone has their own skill/experience level, I think all the OP is asking for is a sharing of knowledge, not a judgement!
What suits you may not work for somebody else. And there is no definitive list... or we'd all be riding on the same tyre.

There's nothing obvious about tyre choice. Grip, wet, dry, hot cold etc. The big factor for me is profile. Everyone has their own skill/experience level, I think all the OP is asking for is a sharing of knowledge, not a judgement!
What suits you may not work for somebody else. And there is no definitive list... or we'd all be riding on the same tyre.
Totally agree with the profile thing. All the top manufacturers produce great tyres its just the way YOU prefer the way it tips in

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Used Pirelli for years on both my blades and this one , last set didn't fill me with confidence so went on a few recommendations and got the M7rr's. Absolutely brilliant tyres and so much better than the Pirelli's.

Used Pirelli for years on both my blades and this one , last set didn't fill me with confidence so went on a few recommendations and got the M7rr's. Absolutely brilliant tyres and so much better than the Pirelli's.

metzler and pirellis are owned by same company and produced at same factory

Some people are mad!

I've run a set of BT016's, and now 2 sets of Rosso Corsa's on my bike and the Pirelli's are a huge improvement for me. Tyre guy at Donnington has told me M7RR's are the best all round tyre for an S1000RR so I'll be giving those a try next I think.

As has been said the only way to see what you like is to try different ones, sticking with 1 tyre for the rest of your life is very narrow minded to me, could be missing out.

Back