Datalogger and lap timer

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
Anyone can suggest a datalogger and laptimer in one package?

Is it worth investing in HP data logger? Does it do lap timing too? (I guess not)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

HP Data Logger does do lap timing however it doesn't link it to the dash, you need to down load it on to a laptop or the like and run the BMW software to see times.

Its a great bit of kit, I have a loan of one and found it good, too good for me as in way more info than I wanted, plus its not totally waterproof, so I decided to return it and look at other options.

Speak to Rys1000rr he has one and knows the system inside and out

HP Data Logger does do lap timing however it doesn't link it to the dash, you need to down load it on to a laptop or the like and run the BMW software to see times.

Its a great bit of kit, I have a loan of one and found it good, too good for me as in way more info than I wanted, plus its not totally waterproof, so I decided to return it and look at other options.

Speak to Rys1000rr he has one and knows the system inside and out
What other options do you consider?

A) Aim Solo 2 DL all in one.

B) HP Datalogger is better but the you really need the 2D GPS Laptrigger to go with it. That then shows you laptimes on the oem dash automagically.

A) ~?400-500
B) ~?900-1100

I had the BMW DL, I switched to AIM and sold my BMW Datalogger because I wanted something I could instantly see the results on. It was cost neutral to switch.

The Aim still takes all 32 channels from the canbus, like the BMW unit.

- Alex

A) Aim Solo 2 DL all in one.

B) HP Datalogger is better but the you really need the 2D GPS Laptrigger to go with it. That then shows you laptimes on the oem dash automagically.

A) ~?400-500
B) ~?900-1100

I had the BMW DL, I switched to AIM and sold my BMW Datalogger because I wanted something I could instantly see the results on. It was cost neutral to switch.

The Aim still takes all 32 channels from the canbus, like the BMW unit.

- Alex
Thanks, that's informative!

Where is the cheapest place to buy #1?

Thanks, that's informative!

Where is the cheapest place to buy #1?

Not sure on cheapest, could try redhotracing.co.uk

I know AIM take it very seriously when units are sold under rrp

- Alex

Not sure on cheapest, could try redhotracing.co.uk

I know AIM take it very seriously when units are sold under rrp

- Alex
One more question, can it actually output on OEM display of a race model? I don't really want a second display.

Or if it can't, do I need to use their display at all? All I really interested in, is it recording data and laptimes so I can look after on mobile/laptop. Having ability to look at laptimes on mobile and data on a laptop is more than enough.

2d gps laptrigger for built in oem display.

You could try the far cheaper PZ unit but lots of folks complain they don't work reliably.

- Alex

2d gps laptrigger for built in oem display.

You could try the far cheaper PZ unit but lots of folks complain they don't work reliably.

- Alex

hmm, 2d looks interesting, but its not a datalogger.

I kind of like AIM, I guess nothing prevents me from hiding it under the seat and just analyze data after the track, right ?
Or does it require to press some buttons to start it ?

Speak to aim directly and tell them you got there from here and they might give you a bit of discount. :)

The aim solo is really good. Attaching it to the yoke and viewing realtime isnt a hassle so I?d recommend doing so. You can order it with a ram ball mounting or standard depending on your preference. I had an aim solo dl and would buy another.

You buy a specific cable for your MY bike that is a rs232 connection under the rear hump.

Last edited:
I find my Starlane GPS 4 lite then download the full update is great for data logging and can be used in many video data overlay software programs without issue if that's eventually what you're after

Datalogger and Lap Timer

The 2D GPS Laptrigger is a superb bit of kit if you want to utilise the OEM dash for real-time lap and interval times. Whilst the HP Datalogger is very good it does nothing more than store data for later review. It utilises a simplified version of 2D?s race datalogging software to monitor 32 channels of data. I would suggest that the software is far from simple but it is a powerful tool for analysis once you understand how to use it properly. Both plug directly into the bike and ideally need to be mounted externally in order to make sure that they pick up a strong enough GPS signal to ensure accuracy. The AIM Datalogger is a good option, and simple to use, but I personally don?t like things mounted on the tank or yoke so I dismissed it for that reason alone. It is however cheaper and I believe it?s easier to overlay the data with video if that?s your thing.

Speak to aim directly and tell them you got there from here and they might give you a bit of discount. :)

The aim solo is really good. Attaching it to the yoke and viewing realtime isnt a hassle so I’d recommend doing so. You can order it with a ram ball mounting or standard depending on your preference. I had an aim solo dl and would buy another.

You buy a specific cable for your MY bike that is a rs232 connection under the rear hump.

Apparently it was easier than I thought. UK distributor sells BMW specific cable that plugs into CAN/RS232 of AIM device.

I used an I2m Chrome plus on a Yamaha R1 2015. Its a plug and play dash replacement. It does all the datalogging and displays it on the dash. It can also start and stop a gopro. It's fully configurable, very professional.
I intended to move it on to my BMW but I went down the RCK Pro kit and 2d dash.
If anyone is interested in a I2m Chrome plus, give me a shout, I have been through the BMW unit mentioned above (on a 2012), Aim solo, Aim solo DL, Aim Evo 4, proprietary Yamaha and Ducati DLs also Starlane Davinci.
The I2m is by far the best solution although i'm hoping the 2d is better.
Cheers
Davy

I used an I2m Chrome plus on a Yamaha R1 2015. Its a plug and play dash replacement. It does all the datalogging and displays it on the dash. It can also start and stop a gopro. It's fully configurable, very professional.
I intended to move it on to my BMW but I went down the RCK Pro kit and 2d dash.
If anyone is interested in a I2m Chrome plus, give me a shout, I have been through the BMW unit mentioned above (on a 2012), Aim solo, Aim solo DL, Aim Evo 4, proprietary Yamaha and Ducati DLs also Starlane Davinci.
The I2m is by far the best solution although i'm hoping the 2d is better.
Cheers
Davy

The RCK Pro looks like an amazing piece of kit. I was wondering what the RCK PRO kit offers compared to the normal RCK?

Is the method of torque modulation (ignition cut, throttle valve, fuel injection) selectable?

Do you mind showing some screenshots of the software?

Back