How long do new brake pads take...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huge

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
... to bed in for road use. Been feeling a little vague even after 200 miles, but I'm not much of a 'braker' TBH. Did a few 'big stops' early on to test them out when the roads were empty and felt OK but had a scare when some knob cut across me and the bike didn't stop as quickly as usual. The mechanic who did my bike ordered in BMW recommended pads (he's a Gixxer but I do trust him, lol), I'll ask him tomorrow for the brand. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

a few miles and mine are usually good. i use oe brembos on the road bike. some pads need the discs cleaning up before running them in all depends on what you've got fit.

... to bed in for road use. Been feeling a little vague even after 200 miles, but I'm not much of a 'braker' TBH. Did a few 'big stops' early on to test them out when the roads were empty and felt OK but had a scare when some knob cut across me and the bike didn't stop as quickly as usual. The mechanic who did my bike ordered in BMW recommended pads (he's a Gixxer but I do trust him, lol), I'll ask him tomorrow for the brand. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

unless you on a track and trying to brake from 250kph to 50kph, I wouldnt even think about it, considering you've done only 200miles.

just take a look at pads in calipers, if they are fat you're all fine

If they are the same pads as before they should only need 50-100miles.
Needs some long slow deceleration as wel as a couple of good hard stops to break the surface in.

- Alex

Never had any issues when changing pads myself, pretty much good to go after a few miles, on every bike I have owned. If you tested them first and they were fine maybe the near miss experience was perception? As bbb says check your pads and discs look ok. Might be worth getting some brake cleaner on the rotors as good housekeeping and to improve the bite if you havent done it recently.

Yea I'm the same.. never had any probs when pads changed, I always do it myself tho, clean out the calipers thoroughly and replace the fluid at same time... generally my discs and lines need nothing other than a visual.. that said I'm just about to pull the trigger on a pair of new seria ORO Brembo's.

I can't recall having any issues....I just had replacement pads on my Toureg last week too... some easy stops, escalating to firmer and some harder ones over 10 to 20 miles is all it took, my bikes have been no different Hugh..

S

As above it really shouldn't take many miles to bed in new pads. I ran in my new Serie Oro discs and new pads a the weekend & they felt fine from a couple of miles in. I use the OEM pads Brembo 07bb3396 - just bought a set from Carpimoto for ?116 delivered.

If you think there actually is an issue then check that your discs don't have any ridges or lip. Worth checking thickness with a micrometer -this will also show up ridges as micrometer will stick.

Only issue i had was going from sintered to carbon. Cleaned the old material off discs and took a few miles to bed in. Same material its a few hard tugs down the pit lane, big pull on turn1 and away you go

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys. The new pads are EBC sintered. The original OEMs did just over 10K miles, nearly all road. Discs look dirty but aren't scored.
I tried cleaning a small area with brake disc cleaner and although they didn't look cleaner, they felt it, so I'll do them properly tomorrow. H

Thanks Guys. The new pads are EBC sintered. The original OEMs did just over 10K miles, nearly all road. Discs look dirty but aren't scored.
I tried cleaning a small area with brake disc cleaner and although they didn't look cleaner, they felt it, so I'll do them properly tomorrow. H

last time i used ebc pads it was on my gixer k5 thou. they lasted about 30 miles before i gave up on them and bought some sbs. :)

Heres a question:

I've ordered a set of Brembo OROs for ?360.00 inc deliv.. Should get them in a few days. What's the views on replacing/reusing the mounting bolts and is Loctite required ?

NB: OE via Tim@Lind was ?560.00..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a question:

I've ordered a set of Brembo OROs for ?360.00 inc deliv.. Should get them in a few days. What's the views on replacing/reusing the mounting bolts and is Loctite required ?

dont they come with bolts ? mine came with bolts, but maybe I did order them separately, dont remember.

Thread-locking compound (micro-encapsulated) is required according to BMW manual.
Brembo manual doesnt say anything about it.
I did apply medium Loctite.

I wouldn't see a problem re-using the old bolts, so long as in good condition. I would diefinetly say loctite would be a good shout though, even if is just to keep water out. When i did the discs on my SP1 a couple of years ago, there was quite a lot of corrosion to the threads when i removed the screws

Heres a question:

NB: OE via Tim@Lind was ?560.00..

I bought new bolts from BMW. Not cheap (?3 each) but I was glad I did as a few of the torx heads got a bit chewed on removal. BMW recommend new bolts, probably because they are soft.

The new bolts come already with threadlock applied. If you are carefull on extraction and tightening of the original ones you can reuse. In that case use blue loctite (medium).

If you are using Serie Oro discs with the separate floating rivets make sure the spring washers stay centred as you torque down bolts.

I also found the mounting hole threads needed a bit of a clean out -wasn't clear if it was corrosion or old threadlock.

PS I bought Serie Oro from Carpimoto due to similar price difference. Fair dos to Tim as he did suggest trying Brembo direct

Brake Discs

I personally always replace the brake disc bolts when fitting new discs. Just make sure you clean the mounting points on the wheels first as there?s normally a build-up of old threadlock and then torque them correctly.

Took the RR for a proper spanking last night. Naughty girl.
-
Despite giving the front discs a good clean, the brakes still feel quite different. Lever is nowhere near the bar, but braking feels 90% as effective compared to before they were changed from the original OEM pads.
Description: very slightly spongy, the front oil reservoir is near the max marker (couple of mm below).
I'm not much of a braker, TBH, but I might need that missing 10% one day. I'm curious what the cause might be. Any other variables at play here?

Took the RR for a proper spanking last night. Naughty girl.
-
Despite giving the front discs a good clean, the brakes still feel quite different. Lever is nowhere near the bar, but braking feels 90% as effective compared to before they were changed from the original OEM pads.
Description: very slightly spongy, the front oil reservoir is near the max marker (couple of mm below).
I'm not much of a braker, TBH, but I might need that missing 10% one day. I'm curious what the cause might be. Any other variables at play here?
Clean fresh oil or caliper clean? I cleaned mine up over winter and made a lot of difference

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Re: Brake Discs

Yup think Ill buy a fresh set
I personally always replace the brake disc bolts when fitting new discs. Just make sure you clean the mounting points on the wheels first as there?s normally a build-up of old threadlock and then torque them correctly.

Back