EML after PCV install

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M12NTE

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

I?ve been running a full system with the O2 sensors connected for the last couple of weeks without any real issues.

I installed a PCV yesterday and disconnected the O2 sensors as per the instructions. Bike ran fine but engine check light came on after about 20 miles.

I?ve read that disconnecting the O2 sensors will hold fault codes in the ecu without throwing a check light.

Any ideas on why the check light came on?

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

Sensors

As soon as you disconnect the sensors or exhaust servos the bike will register a fault and the warning light will illuminate. To clear the ECU fault codes will require a trip to your BMW dealer. If you reconnect the sensors the EML should go out.

It is only for the Euro4 compliant (17 onwards) RR?s that the stock lambda sensor must not be removed. For previous model year RR?s, removal of the lambda sensor only caused a silent warning in the ECU log.

Unfortunately PCV?s are more limited on Euro4 compliant bikes as they are unable to map the closed-loop region of the rev range

Last edited:
Thanks Oli.

Mine is a 17 model.

I assume that the PCV is no good on the 17 model then and I?m best removing it?

Unfortunately PCV?s are particularly limited on Euro4 bikes (DynoJet really need to launch an updated product).
That being said, depending on what full system you are using, you may very well be able to run the stock fuelling (i.e. reinstall the lambda sensor and not bother with a fuel module).
It is good practice to check fuelling on a dyno after installing a full system, and all being well a fuel module is not always ?necessary?.

A RapidBike Race module would be the best fuel module option for you, as is fully compatible with Euro4 spec bikes and has greater tuning possibilities than a PCV unit, such as control of both injector rails, ignition timing and closed-loop auto-tuning (to name but a few).
If this is of interest to you, you may wish to consider subscribing as a Premier Forum member, in which case you could then contact @alex as there is a discount available to Premier members.

Last edited:
Thanks Oli

That?s a bugger. I did buy a used unit from a 2016 bike, so hopefully i can sell it on again.

I assume there?s no resistor plugs that can be plugged into the O2 sensor plugs that fool the ecu into thinking they?re still plugged in?

I?m running a full arrow system with long can.

Thanks for the info on the rapid bike unit.

No known work around.

Rapibike is the only piggyback to utilise the o2 sensors.

- Alex

Thanks for the info Alex, really useful.

It sounds like the rapidbike unit is the way to go.

Am I right in saying that it can self learn and adjust to the bike on the fly?

Best regards

Mark

It does some learning, Performance Parts Ltd supplies a decent map with it as far as I know.

- Alex

Thanks Oli

That?s a bugger. I did buy a used unit from a 2016 bike, so hopefully i can sell it on again.

I assume there?s no resistor plugs that can be plugged into the O2 sensor plugs that fool the ecu into thinking they?re still plugged in?

I?m running a full arrow system with long can.

Thanks for the info on the rapid bike unit.

That?s one of the good things about fuel modules, in that you can always sell them on.
I have a PCV on my 15 MY Gen 3 and it does the job, it?s just a shame DynoJet do not currently have anything that really supports Euro4 bikes.

IMO you could run that full system with the stock fuelling setup, though if a Dyno centre is local to you it wouldn?t hurt to check all OK, for peace of mind if nothing else

Thanks for the info Alex, really useful.

It sounds like the rapidbike unit is the way to go.

Am I right in saying that it can self learn and adjust to the bike on the fly?

Best regards

Mark

Yes, RapidBike modules are closed-loop systems which use the stock lambda sensor to adjust fulling on the fly. They even do an accessory uni which uses a wide-band lambda sensor for a true auto-tuning setup.

That being said, IMO nothing beats a custom map made on a dyno, so if you do decide on a RapidBike module I would personally still get it custom mapped

Last edited:
Hi Oli.

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting hearing your thoughts on the system with standard fuelling. It did run quite nicely, a bit lumpy on part throttle at low speeds but nothing too bad. Always a bit worried that it was running lean.

Hopefully the PCV will sell on.

I really like that the rapidbike uses the Lambdas to fine tune and control the fuelling.

A full system will always be lumpier at low revs than a stock system with a catalyser and 2x exhaust valves, due to the massive difference in back-pressure.
Generally, stock fuelling is lean low down the rev-range, and rich at the top end.

The stock ECU can auto-tune to a limited extent, which is why it may very well still maintain similar fuelling as with the stock system. This can only be confirmed on a Dyno, but in my experience it is safe to run the stock fuelling with an Akrapovic Evolution system installed on a Euro3 spec Gen3 RR.

That being said, there are always improvements to be had with a custom map, and IMO the RapidBike Race module is the best fuel module on the market.
If I had a Euro4 bike and a full system I would purchase one without hesitation lol [emoji41]

Last edited:
Mapping

Absolutely nothing beats time on a Dyno and custom mapping for whatever fuel management system that you are using.

I've searched the forum for Rapidbike and notice that there was a group buy late last year.

Is this something that might be organised again? (I've posted in the GB post as well)

Regards

Mark

I just installed a PCV and as per discussion also disconnected the o2 sensors. went for a good hour ride last night and no EML. (Gen 3)

Back