BMW S1000RR Ticking noise

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venemous

Reaction score
Before I start I have tried to find out what may be the issue with the bike (if any) through research and other forums but could only find the problem related to the 2015 models and earlier. About a week ago I bought a 2017 plate BMW S100RR from BMW Motorrad up in Park Lane second hand. It had 1000 miles on it and basically brand new condition. Recently (since a few days ago), it has been making this ticking noise. The best way to describe it is if you placed a credit card between the wheels of a bicycle and cycled.

The noise is at its quietest when stationary (in neutral or in gear makes no difference) but once moving it is quite loud and noticeable. I have an Akrapovic exhaust on the bike and can clearly hear the ticking over anything else. Its at its loudest at around 4000 RPM's. Now I read other threads/forums and people with very similar issues took the bike back (under warranty) to BMW and almost all cases they had chewed up cams but as I said previously I only ever saw this problem with the 2015 models and earlier. Did BMW ever rectify the 'soft cams' and this should not be an issue.

Before buying the bike I test rode one of their stock bikes that had about 25000 miles on it and I cannot remember the noise being so prominent. My Neighbour has an S1000RR 12 plated and said it sounds normal and fine to him and that his engine/noise is louder on his bike and has never had any issues. Just to be on the safe side I had a BMW technician come out and have a look at the bike (who by the way was far from helpful) and he said the bike sounds normal to him.

I tried to explain that it sounds close to normal now because the bike is stationary but once moving it becomes very noticeable and irritating. He said that there is nothing wrong with the bike but he can take it back to the garage and hook it up to the dyno to see if all the numbers are correct. I said that I would want him to open up the bike to check if everything is at should be but he was adamant that the bike doesnt need that.

Am I just being paranoid over nothing? I have riden a bunch of bikes before but this is my first time on a BMW besides the test ride so this is all new territory for me. What would you all do?

P.S. the bike is truly a thing of beauty. By far the best bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding.

It's not the soft cams, it sounds normal-ish, I recommend giving it a good thrashing. You're under a dealer warranty should anything go wrong.

FYI we like a Welcome post from all new comers before they get into it, makes this the community it is. If you wouldn't mind heading to the welcome section we'd be much obliged.

Engine Noise

S1000RRs typically have noisy engines. It can be a bit unsettling at first; particularly if your used to riding Japanese bikes which are much quieter in comparison.

Re: Engine Noise

Yes,

My previous bikes have all been Honda's and Yamaha's. I mean its something I can get used to but it is just very unusual for me.

Welcome to the forum Ven.
I was similarly nervous when I got my RR last year. It still makes all sorts of noises including humming, ticking and tapping.
Couple of observations:
When one is mechanically challenged (as I am) you worry about stuff you don't understand.
When you've spent such a lot of cash on your pride and joy, you can get paranoid.
-
I suggest, if there are no other symptoms, ie. lack of power, unusual smell, oil on the floor, leaks, exhaust residue, etc., then carry on. You'll get used to the bike's quirks.
-
BTW. I came from a big twin sportsbike which I actually thrashed to death on track so I was extra nervous with my new RR. Indeed I had to be encouraged by the guys on here to thrash the engine properly. I now regularly do my "60 mile winding down at the end of a bad day thrash" in 2nd and 3rd gear only. Downside being cost of petrol and tyres.

Last edited:
I think this is quite common, I'd bet a fiver that it's the exhaust flaps in the headers rattling around and none of the oily bits. A good thrashing would probably help! The flaps sit in lots of hot dry exhaust gas so it's inevitable, and more likely indicative of standing around and not being used, rather than a problem. Is it rattley near the headers?

Welcome to the forum Ven.
I was similarly nervous when I got my RR last year. It still makes all sorts of noises including humming, ticking and tapping.
Couple of observations:
When one is mechanically challenged (as I am) you worry about stuff you don't understand.
When you've spent such a lot of cash on your pride and joy, you can get paranoid.
-
I suggest, if there are no other symptoms, ie. lack of power, unusual smell, oil on the floor, leaks, exhaust residue, etc., then carry on. You'll get used to the bike's quirks.
-
BTW. I came from a big twin sportsbike which I actually thrashed to death on track so I was extra nervous with my new RR. Indeed I had to be encouraged by the guys on here to thrash the engine properly. I now regularly do my "60 mile winding down at the end of a bad day thrash" in 2nd and 3rd gear only. Downside being cost of petrol and tyres.

Thanks for the advice. For how long and how many times would you advise ?thrashing? the bike? I have obviously never had to do this previously and dont worry I am probably more mechanically challenged than you are. Haha

I think this is quite common, I'd bet a fiver that it's the exhaust flaps in the headers rattling around and none of the oily bits. A good thrashing would probably help! The flaps sit in lots of hot dry exhaust gas so it's inevitable, and more likely indicative of standing around and not being used, rather than a problem. Is it rattley near the headers?

Yes it does sound like it is near the headers.

Is the Akrapovic a system or just an end can? Do you still have the OEM headers?

Is the Akrapovic a system or just an end can? Do you still have the OEM headers?

It is just a slip on exhaust. The headers are OEM. I must add that the bike is 2nd hand and has quite a bit of aftermarket stuff on it. Lever, carbon fibre all over including fenders. Footpegs l, exhaust etc. The previous and first owner put a bit of money into it then decided to give up riding.

Thanks for the advice. For how long and how many times would you advise ?thrashing? the bike? I have obviously never had to do this previously and dont worry I am probably more mechanically challenged than you are. Haha
Just ride it, mate. :smug:
Also, do a track day soon.

could here it with the bike on the move with ear plugs and helmet on, sounded quieter at standstill perhaps with not being underload? dodgy cam lobes

I was riding today and could hear it same as you. Ear plugs, helmet and still very audible. Definitely going to have it checked over. If there is anything wrong I can ride my Honda.

Agree with boomaz, the Sthou is a bit rattly (but then so is my Suzuki) but I don't ever recall hearing a ticking noise on mine that I could hear over the exhaust with earplugs in. Get it properly checked otherwise you're always going to be wondering what it is which will detract from your enjoyment of riding it.

Every time your out on it !

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ive had 2016 model for about 4 months now (bought it with 700km on odo). Have been using it on track only.
On Thursday, when I came back from the track day I noticed exactly the same noise as you described. Ive never heard it before.

Initially I thought its due to old oil (I usually change it after 2 track days), but after changing it, noise remained.
I ran a stock pipes with scorpion slip-on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I don't hear any ticking noise on my bike after ideal and my bike has 23k on it.

On ideal though it sounds like a bag of bolts.

Because bikes use valve shims they should be fairly noisy if the valves are in spec but hearing noise at 4k rpm I would suggest getting it looked at.

Back