insurance query

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaloch

Reaction score
If a bike comes with certain parts as optional extras selected. like akra exhaust, levers, rearsets etc.

are these to be declared as modifications on insurance, and given a claim, should these be replaced like for like, or with the standard items?

Insurance

I would personally declare them as the cost of replacements from BMW are expensive. That, and should the worst happen, you really don't want to be having the inevitable discussion with your insurer about why you had not declared said modifications in the first place.

They must be declared, you can stipulate if you want like for like or not, but I would expect that would be ???'s. In the case of a write-off they will supply a suitable replacement bike or give you the money to get your own, they won't get the extra parts.

ohh, not good that - problem i have is i never knew they were additional added parts, i thought they were just options from standard, i havent declared these as extra's as i never put them on, and i might have to contact my insurance for a claim.
hopefully if i have to, they arent going to go mad that the lever and rear sets are fitted.

I think if you tell them you've got optional OEM parts on it, they will tell you if they need to know what.

Last edited:
i have a second part to this query now.
tyco bikes, Log book state single colour, none of which are on the bike. how does this go if needing to claim on insurance. and if changing colour via DVLA, what colour should you put?

Right so we're talking about a dealer special Tyco rep.

You should be fine but I would send the pictures to the insurer, the add-ons mentioned before are all dealer fit from the BMW catalogue.

- Alex

If it is a genuine tyco rep then the hp parts were standard build on it as far as i can recall so wouldnt need adding if the bike is insured as the tyco rep variant.... pics to insurer always best route if in doubt.

Deffo declare them, I didn't and nearly lost out. But my insurance broker added them and got paid out full value with extras

So its not a dealer one like the models they released, but it is 1 a dealer built to order before they were released as a limited model. Av not told my insurance its a tyco rep, i just insured it with the reg, they knew the model from that.

Insurance

If it?s an official BMW UK produced TYCO Replica S1000RR then the insurance company should know what came fitted to the bike as standard. In the event of an accident they will soon know by checking the VIN with BMW. If the bike simply has a TYCO Replica aftermarket paint job then again, much like the extra parts, you would be wise to declare it to your insurer as technically it?s been modified from standard. Most insurers will ask if a bike has a replica race paint as in some circumstances it may increase the bikes attractiveness to theives thereby increasing the risk of theft.

Re: Insurance

If it’s an official BMW UK produced TYCO Replica S1000RR then the insurance company should know what came fitted to the bike as standard. In the event of an accident they will soon know by checking the VIN with BMW. If the bike simply has a TYCO Replica aftermarket paint job then again, much like the extra parts, you would be wise to declare it to your insurer as technically it’s been modified from standard. Most insurers will ask if a bike has a replica race paint as in some circumstances it may increase the bikes attractiveness to theives thereby increasing the risk of theft.

I'm not sure how that works? Am i able to check what came standard with my bike? does this include the spec'd options?

With the TYCO's i believe they were produced as standard bikes, then BMW dealers then sent them to 8ball for paint, and added the extra's themselves prior to sale? as i dont think all TYCO bikes show the same colour on the v5 ??

Thanks.

TYCO Replica

They were produced by BMW Motorrad UK as a limited run. Each one featured a host of HP parts and came with BMW paddock stands, garage mat, bike cover and a very expensive price tag. They are nice bikes but date quickly as the TYCO BMW race team change their paint scheme every season!

Insurance

As for whether you have a standard S1000RR or S1000RR Sport model just call your local BMW dealership and they will tell you. They will also be able to tell you what factory options were originally selected and fitted when the bike was sold new.

Re: Insurance

As for whether you have a standard S1000RR or S1000RR Sport model just call your local BMW dealership and they will tell you. They will also be able to tell you what factory options were originally selected and fitted when the bike was sold new.

cheers for that, i know its the sport, as its got all the bells and whistles, just wondered if there was a vin checker which would tell me what all came as spec. i'm pretty sure they were all fitted by the dealer prior to first sale, as the bike was built to customer spec as a TYCO before bmw released their TYCO ones.
thanks

Back