Changing tyres

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi . . . I made a video of changing the front tyre on my Tiger and balancing the wheel. As it was the first time I had done the job, I got into something of a pickle trying to break the bead and also strapping the tyre up into the wheel well when removing it but I have since learned from my mistakes and the last two I have done have been very easy, not least because I have now made a bespoke wooden wheel support for use when both removing the tyre and breaking the bead. The first attempt I had at breaking the bead, I simply used woodworking clamps on either side of the tyre whilst the wheel was still mounted to the bike - it worked but it was messy. Clamps do work well for breaking the bead but I now have a much better way of doing it.
Here is link to my firs tyre change and balance videos which I made. The tyre change video was an abortion because my camera switched off the crucial moment due to a flat battery. My Tigga is soon due a new back tyre and so I will remake and post the tyre change if folks are interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1SVSALJ7fw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8nghfByRww

Hi Hugh, as others have said its easy enough to change the wheels and I would recommend cleaning everything while the wheels are off as its so much easier to do. Good luck.

Why grease the axles? I always thought the grease was just for ease of sliding in and out. The bearings take the movement.

If it was me I'd take wheels off and bring them to a place. Most are only a 10er to swap tires.

Changing Tyres

I just take loose wheels to a trusted tyre fitter and he does them professionally for next to nothing. Failing that I just get them changed during a trackday and having spare wheels certainly helps. I've changed my own tyres in the past but for me its simply not worth the effort and hassle. That and I certainly don't trust myself changing race tyres on carbon fibre wheels...

The great thing about biking that I've realised over the decades now, is that we all do it for our own reasons.
Hats off to Javaman for can do attitude, and taking the time to post it up.
When I next get fired or eventually retire, I'll invest the time and re-watch those videos, and do it myself.
Meantime, I'll round up some cash and get some spares.
BTW, this'll make you laugh...
Guess how much my local dealer wanted for a spare set of wheels with discs and sprocket?

Back