First post

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoots75

Reaction score
Hi all fellow members, my name is Ryan and I?m from N Ireland, the home of road racing. I?ve just recently picked up my new S1000rr full spec bike and have been doing following the recent road races here in (sunny N Ireland)!!:fat: Just been to the Cookstown 100 and the NW200, amazing events and fantastic days of racing.
we also have brilliant coastal roads with no speed cameras!!:nightmare:
Can?t wait to get hints and tips from you all, as I?ve only had my bike 7weeks and unfortunately I?m having issues with dashboard, ie (time clock not working) but more to follow on that!

Hi Scoots, welcome to the forum. Few lads from your side of the pond on here, sorry to hear you are having some problems, hopefully we can help!

Hi Ryan,

Welcome along. Anything electrical, start with the battery.
I would disconnect the battery and charge it over night. Ideally with a charger which can also health check it.
Whilst it's disconnected, pull the plug on the dash board and reseat it back in.
Then when it's ready put the battery back in, attach Positive then Negative. (Obviously if the battery isn't good you will need to replace it first).

If that doesn't fix it you may have to head to a dealer to check it.

Hi Scoots, welcome to the forum. Few lads from your side of the pond on here, sorry to hear you are having some problems, hopefully we can help!

Thanks Soofsayer, glad to hear there are a few fellow countrymen on here and I?m not the only one.

Hi Alex,

Thanks, I’ve done most of that apart from disconnecting plug from dash, battery has full charge! Contacted dealer about a week in from delivery, explained issue and they say BMW are aware of it and they are waiting for a software update! My concern is it was like that when I drove away from dealer straight from crate, I just didn’t realise at the time until I got home and started reading manual and playing with dash menu’s. I think the wrong battery is in it, at the North West 200 I met somebody with same bike as me and picked his up 2weeks after me from same dealer, his was a YTZ10 but mine is far smaller, it’s a 12v 8ah producing 7.1. Manual states it should be 12v producing 9.1ah! I’ll maybe try to disconnect from dash first, it’s going in for first service next week so hopefully get sorted!

Hi Alex,

Thanks, I’ve done most of that apart from disconnecting plug from dash, battery has full charge! Contacted dealer about a week in from delivery, explained issue and they say BMW are aware of it and they are waiting for a software update! My concern is it was like that when I drove away from dealer straight from crate, I just didn’t realise at the time until I got home and started reading manual and playing with dash menu’s. I think the wrong battery is in it, at the North West 200 I met somebody with same bike as me and picked his up 2weeks after me from same dealer, his was a YTZ10 but mine is far smaller, it’s a 12v 8ah producing 7.1. Manual states it should be 12v producing 9.1ah! I’ll maybe try to disconnect from dash first, it’s going in for first service next week so hopefully get sorted!

The bikes wth alarms from the factory have a larger battery. So there are two types, but yes all are 12v.

The bikes wth alarms from the factory have a larger battery. So there are two types, but yes all are 12v.

I was just curious and thought the time clock wouldn’t work due to battery not having enough juice to power it when turned off and in garage for a few days.
everything on dash works works perfectly, I can set the time but after riding for 30 minutes it still shows the same time frozen, when I turn the ignition off and on again clock goes back to 00:00 and doesn’t change.
i might open up to rest of forum, hopefully somebody else has had same problem, or knows somebody who works in a dealership and has suggestions to fix.

thanks for you help.

Ryan.

Welcome to the forum Ryan and congratulations on your new RR!

I?m sorry to hear you?ve experienced an electrical issue, as @FlyingScotsman says I would inform your dealer of the fault and get them to sort it for you. Hopefully they are fairly local to you?
I hope the issue is resolved one way or the other ASAP!

Enjoy the forum, there is a wonderful community on here and loads of information.
I hope your RR is back to 100 % working order again soon and that you have many happy miles ahead of you [emoji4]

Oli

Welcome to the forum Ryan and congratulations on your new RR!

I’m sorry to hear you’ve experienced an electrical issue, as @FlyingScotsman says I would inform your dealer of the fault and get them to sort it for you. Hopefully they are fairly local to you?
I hope the issue is resolved one way or the other ASAP!

Enjoy the forum, there is a wonderful community on here and loads of information.
I hope your RR is back to 100 % working order again soon and that you have many happy miles ahead of you [emoji4]

Oli

Thanks Oli, I’ve already had a few nice hints and tips, also had contact with a fellow NI countryman and had only joined the community a couple of hours.

Welcome to the forum Ryan. Sorry to hear about your electrical issues. I'd take it back to the dealer and politely ask them to fix it.

Thanks Flyingscotsman, it’s going in for first service in a week or so, the dealership knows about issue as I phoned up to query why didn’t work after a couple of days owning it. Got the old “BMW know about it and are working on a software update” story. What dealership don’t know is I phoned BMW Mottorrad UK customer service and reported issue. They are not aware of any time clock or software issue with my 2018 model, but they are puzzled as to why my dealership still have not reported issue to UK technical team quoting my chassis and reg number! 3 weeks after I reported to dealer, first service should be an interesting conversation!!

Back