How Often for Oil Changes?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePeps

Reaction score
My bike was serviced in March at 11k miles by BMW, I always do a mid term change but this year I'm using my bike a bit harder and starting trackdays so wondering what would be sensible intervals?

The bike has now done about 1400 miles since new oil, 1 trackday and a week at the IOM, I have another trackday booked for a couple of weeks time too. Was planning on changing after that or should I do it before?

Currently on BMW oil but have been recommended Motul 300V, any opinions?

Mine was serviced in October, had done about 1400miled by April including 7 days at Almeria. Changed oil for Motul 300v before the NC500 trip.

Some people recommend changing oil each trackday, but it depends how hard you are pushing.

I might change it beforehand then, I'd guess the following breakdown of the 1400 miles it's done:

100 miles trackday
800 miles for the TT, probably 350 of those were on the mountain stretch so pushing a bit
500 miles road riding, nothing too strenuous

If I wait until after the next trackday it would be closer to 2k miles?

I only do track days and change my oil every 3-4 track days using Motul 5000 10/40 and a hi-flow filter every time

Why not 300V? Why not K&N?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
What's wrong with motul 5100 10 40 (5000 was a typo in my previous post)
K nad filters have had some serious dangerous issues and have been subject to recalls and compensation payouts. Have a google you may stop using them. The best filters are probably OEM ones. What oils were people using before the latest marketing developments?
I use a standard air filter as the K and N makes now power improvements the only performance increase is in weight saving as your wallet is considerably lighter lol

I use 300v but yes 5100 is perfectly adequate.

Also agree on your filter points.

- Alex

OEM Oil Filter

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the OEM oil filter and they are quite cheap as well.

What's wrong with motul 5100 10 40 (5000 was a typo in my previous post)
K nad filters have had some serious dangerous issues and have been subject to recalls and compensation payouts. Have a google you may stop using them. The best filters are probably OEM ones. What oils were people using before the latest marketing developments?
I use a standard air filter as the K and N makes now power improvements the only performance increase is in weight saving as your wallet is considerably lighter lol
I don't see any recalls for KN-160. Am I missing something?

K&N Oil Filters

I've heard of plenty of issues regarding K&N oil filters ranging from poor fitment to failure. I personally prefer to just use OEM oil filters which are just as good and are reliable.

I don't see any recalls for KN-160. Am I missing something?

It' not a particular model specific fitment failure but a batch failure, a lot of filters share the same outer body, https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=170&v=83bZYmDyZEs

K&n issued a safety recall so it must be bad for a manufacturer to do that https://www.knfilters.com/recallkn204 The internet forums are full of people who have had failures on the K&N oil filter which are a different batch number to those in the recall. OEM filter is probably the best quality filter we could use

Re: K&N Oil Filters

I've heard of plenty of issues regarding K&N oil filters ranging from poor fitment to failure. I personally prefer to just use OEM oil filters which are just as good and are reliable.
Good to know. I'm on my second filter from K&N no issues so far.

It' not a particular model specific fitment failure but a batch failure, a lot of filters share the same outer body, https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=170&v=83bZYmDyZEs

K&n issued a safety recall so it must be bad for a manufacturer to do that https://www.knfilters.com/recallkn204 The internet forums are full of people who have had failures on the K&N oil filter which are a different batch number to those in the recall. OEM filter is probably the best quality filter we could use
This doesn't make sense. If different models shared the same outer part and K&N found a leak there, they would recall all models not one specific one...

This doesn't make sense. If different models shared the same outer part and K&N found a leak there, they would recall all models not one specific one...

Whats your point? K&N are not superior anyway so why would you expect folk to go for the products of a firm that has had issues and not the others, which haven't?

Use what you like, OEM, Mahle, Hi-Flo, K&N etc. Do your own research and decide, no one is forcing you, and likewise its not wrong for folk to choose to do things differently to yourself.

- Alex

Back