Chain riveter recommendations

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyingscotsman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a heavy duty chain riveter that is up to the job of riveting a Tsubaki xrg 525?

Managed to split the old chain but my cheap riveter gave up on the riveting. Rivets on new chain master link seem quite hard. Riveter wasn't making much of an impact dishing the head when the anvil part broke.

Thanks!

You wont get much change out of a 100 quid for a decent one Rob...the lads recs are spot on..I've tried those ?30-?40 ones that you get in a kit box... they are crap.

I Dremel the head off the link pin when removing the chain...way quicker than pushing it through via one of the tools..

S

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Re: D.I.D KM500R Chain Cutter / Riveter

Thanks Kylezx7r & RyS1000RR, both of those options look much better than what I had.

Have either of you used this on to rivet a Tsubaki Sigma xrg by any chance?

Reason I ask is I'm wondering if the supplied masterlink is solid rather than hollow & designed for old-school peening.

I would prefer to use a tool if possible rather than start bashing with hammers.

You wont get much change out of a 100 quid for a decent one Rob...the lads recs are spot on..I've tried those ?30-?40 ones that you get in a kit box... they are crap.

I Dremel the head off the link pin when removing the chain...way quicker than pushing it through via one of the tools..

S

Cheers Stuart! I'll get one of the good ones. One I had worked OK on the lighter chain of my old Suzuki, but not up to the heavier 525 on the BMW.

Last edited:
D.I.D KM500R Chain Cutter / Riveter

I generally only use 520 pitch D.I.D chains with the tool linked above so unfortunately I can?t comment on other brands.

I've never used the Whale brand but it gets very positive reviews online... the D.I.D one is top drawer.

Thanks Kylezx7r & RyS1000RR, both of those options look much better than what I had.

Have either of you used this on to rivet a Tsubaki Sigma xrg by any chance?

Reason I ask is I'm wondering if the supplied masterlink is solid rather than hollow & designed for old-school peening.

I would prefer to use a tool if possible rather than start bashing with hammers.

The whale tool that I posted the link to does both hard links and soft links

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whale tool that I posted the link to does both hard links and soft links

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Kyle, thanks for that. Although my tool was a cheap one, I realise now I was trying to fit a hard (solid) link, with one designed for soft - hollow links. I was asking it to do something it wasn't designed for. I'll look into the Whale tool.

How do you get a chain off?
(Sometimes the simple tasks escape me)

- Alex
You can either grind the rivet head off and then press the rivet pin out with the rivet tool or just cut through the link with a 4 inch angle grinder as you are more than likely removing the chain to renew it and are the chucking the old one in the bin anyway. Much easier to refit if your new chain comes with a soft link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DID-Gold...086277&hash=item48992fe36e:g:sV4AAOSw4A5YrE3T Nice to have one as a spare in the tool box

Latest posts

Back