Intercoms

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris b

Reaction score
Hi all, I?m looking at getting an intercom for when my son comes out riding on the back of my bike but haven?t a clue which to go for? any suggestions would be appreciated
Cheers

Hi Chris, the Mrs and I have been using an Interphone intercom this year which has been easy to fit and use. I got ours discounted from Sportsbikeshop (end of line) as they've just brought out a 'latest edition' which looks like it works the same. The system relies on bluetooth connectivity so no wires and doesn't have to go through a phone, the two helmet attached units communicating with each other. Basically you fix the unit to the side of your helmet using a plastic bracket that sticks to your lid, pull the interior of your helmet out placing the ear pieces into position (my Shark has cuts outs for these, my wifes Arai doesn't but I positioned them without problem), feed the wires in, place the mic in the chin of your helmet and replace the padding - 10min job all in. The units are charged up via a mobile phone type jack plug, we were riding for 6 hours last weekend and the units were still going strong. In terms of use, they work very well up to about 70mph where wind noise starts to take over but overall we're really pleased with them and while you don't want to be sat there chatting all the time it's miles better than shouting a snatched conversation to each other at the traffic lights!

Last edited:
Hi Chris, we use the Scarla rider system. Must admit I was very sceptical at first as I thought the last thing I want to do is talk to the mrs while on my bike. [emoji23] however they were a god send on our trip last year and since then the kids have gone an bought them to. Now we have 4 way convo?s. [emoji1305]
9aa2f2e7717f50eb0da845a2264542d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using the Cardo systems scala rider Q1 teamset for about 3 years now and have been working well in that time. Easy to set up and not to bulky on the helmet. You can hear each other ok at motorway speeds as well and sync to your sat nav easily. I think there is an updated version now but I am in no rush to change as they are perfectly fine. Will do 2 days riding with not to much trouble as long as you don't have the radio on all the time as well. On that note it's a simple FM radio so fairly useless but, does help pass the time a bit on long motorway stretches.

I'd give them an 8 out of 10 overall.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

I?d recommend the SENA 10R intercom, it?s extremely low profile and the audio quality/reliability has been very good.
It is the best universal intercom I?ve used thus far, though I would not recommend the version that includes the handlebar remote in the package

https://www.sena.com/product/10r/

+1 on the interphones, I used to have them for many years and very good range and clarity and battery life and all the good stuff MacRR said. I swapped for the simple reason I wanted audio mixing. Most intercoms rely on an interupt based system and if you are using that for Sat Nav or speed camera alerts then usually the alert has been made and missed before the intercom has switched. I now have SENA 20s pretty much only for the audio multitasking which blends audio from your phone/sat nav or whatever with your intercom so you always get to hear everything. I THINK some other models also do this but don?t quote me. However the range is not as good as the interphone so I guess it depends on what you need it for.

me and a mate just bought the new sena 30k's and are really pleased with them, the mesh feature is really good and clear.

Been using the Sena 20s for a year or so now, been really good up to speeds you wouldn't dare travel on a uk road at :wink-new:

My mate and I have just purchased packtalk... arriving Monday. Will post a reply when used and feedback

i used a F5mc i think it was. not the greatest if im honest, soon as i got out of line of sight with my mate it was breaking up and out of range. which was not much good on the island for 2 weeks.

I've got the Sena 20s - bought last year for my Brno trip so me and the nephew could argue all the way there and back. Worked well, batteries lasted well and the mix between audio sources was good - satnav/phone/nephew. The range, like most things these days, didn't quite live up to its claims, but we got about 1/2 - 1 mile terrain depending. I do find that doing shoulder checks accidentally (but reliably) hits the intercom button, so when you're out riding by yourself rocking away to adam and the ants or cher, and do a shoulder check, you get an annoying break in the music and a 'intercom not found' message.. I need to either lower my left shoulder or re-position the intercom.

I have just bought a Scala Freecom 4 DUO pack for only ?329.99 brand new from eBay. I will be setting it up this weekend and my Son and I will test when riding out - we are hopeful of good things!

I use the Interphone Tour. My son and one of my mates use this also, we are all paired and have no issues. Voice is very clear, connect to phone to receive Bluetooth calls, and sat nav, has radio etc. When we're out in Wales if there is no real line of sight they can become a bit scratchy, but overall range is good, and the battery life is brilliant too.

Stuart

I normally switch mine off for some peace and pretend the battery went flat

I did similar after few days in Europe, increased my distance with other rider broke paired connection and attempted to pair whilst out of range. Claimed mine was goosed and used iPod rest of holiday. Binned when got home, music only from now on.
What pissed me off was the other unit cutting my music to open a conversation with my pal just cause he burped. Scala system, was great for phone and Sat Nav though.

JimmyMac

I did similar after few days in Europe, increased my distance with other rider broke paired connection and attempted to pair whilst out of range. Claimed mine was goosed and used iPod rest of holiday. Binned when got home, music only from now on.
What pissed me off was the other unit cutting my music to open a conversation with my pal just cause he burped. Scala system, was great for phone and Sat Nav though.

JimmyMac
I prefer to listen to the voices in my own head and those of my sat nav when I'm lost not those of others continuously chatting sh1t in my ear holes lol

I have just bought a Scala Freecom 4 DUO pack for only ?329.99 brand new from eBay. I will be setting it up this weekend and my Son and I will test when riding out - we are hopeful of good things!

I set up the bluetooth with my phone last night and it is crystal clear - the radio is very good to but only FM. I will try the intercom at the weekend and report back but all good so far.

Latest posts

Back