Swapping Tanks Question - Fuel Draining

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
I am going to be swapping my petrol tanks over. Had a good read through the RSD which is fairly comprehensive. The work looks to be time consuming but not technically difficult (famous last words).

The only bit I am stumped on without looking at the bike is how to drain the fuel, the BMW RSD refers to a special tool. Is that the case? Can anyone advise having done this themselves the best way to drain the tank. Also will the fuel stay in the tank if the tank is disconnected and removed, or will it need draining before removing?

Many thanks,

I am going to be swapping my petrol tanks over. Had a good read through the RSD which is fairly comprehensive. The work looks to be time consuming but not technically difficult (famous last words).

The only bit I am stumped on without looking at the bike is how to drain the fuel, the BMW RSD refers to a special tool. Is that the case? Can anyone advise having done this themselves the best way to drain the tank. Also will the fuel stay in the tank if the tank is disconnected and removed, or will it need draining before removing?

Many thanks,
I just took the tank off and poured the fuel out of the filler neck into a large funnel and a jerry can. The fuel will not leak when the fuel pipe is unclipped. It's a fairly straightforward job. You could syphon it but be careful what you ram in the tank as the sender and pump are in there.

I just took the tank off and poured the fuel out of the filler neck into a large funnel and a jerry can. The fuel will not leak when the fuel pipe is unclipped. It's a fairly straightforward job. You could syphon it but be careful what you ram in the tank as the sender and pump are in there.

Thanks Toan. Thats what I needed to know.

Back