Paint on the Frame wearing.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine who is not yet on the forum mentioned that the paint on his frame is wearing thin, this is where the inside of the knees rub against the frame.
He contacted BMW and this was their reply,

Thanks for your email about the paintwork wearing on your BMW S1000RR. I?m sorry to hear this needs replacing, and can understand why you?re concerned.

The warranty that came with your bike covers against manufacturing defects for two years. It doesn?t cover you against damage caused by wear and tear.

I?ve spoken with the BMW UK Motorrad Techncial manager who?s confirmed that the wear has been caused by rider profile. For this reason, I can confirm that this isn?t a manufacturing fault and the bike is fit for purpose.

I know this isn?t the answer you were hoping for, and I?m sorry to disappoint you.

If there?s anything else I can help with, please get it touch.

Kind regards.

:distrust:
Question is, has anyone else had a better response from BMW about this issue? Would be good to be able to help my friend.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same problem. I reported it to the dealer when the bike was around 8 months old. Was told its wear and tear. The bike is 3 years old now and the right side of the frame is actually shinny as the pain (on the raised bits of the metal) has gone. Really disappointing weak finish.

Both mine went/ going shiney

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mine is same... Doesnt bother me in the slightest. My grips, bar ends and rear sets all showing signs of use..rear sets were worn completely smooth and had to rotate to expose the knurled parts last season..
8bfb0980aed3fc8f802d327428cecabe.jpg
e60672d2bba1bc547c0aafe1e463a0ce.jpg
c068ecdc14d4ed95ce914db7706e2ab0.jpg
b74bdc73dd9b6ed5f41b37a46340a137.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I just bought Ilmberger Carbon Fiber Frame covers for my ?18 RR because of these problems. It may be the best solution except transparent paint protection film.

Back