Infamous switchgear

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wull

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Had a great day out on the bike today, went up Knockhill for the racing but after leaving Callander to head home my Mode button stopped working, so I?m guessing it?s the usual dreaded switchgear issue?

I?ve messaged the dealer as it?s still under warranty and I?ll phone them tomorrow (if they?re open) and hopefully get the ball rolling for it to get replaced.

Hmm well the alternative is that they got too hot. Loupe had to wrap his in a damp cloth to cool it down before it worked again.

They really are garbage I've had 3 and this new one doesn't work now. I've had cheap nasty sh1te from China that's better quality and more reliable

Someone did mention about them expanding from the heat and not working. Will need to only go out when it’s cold lol!

I've had 5 different models of BMW and each one has had switch issues, 2 bikes were in warranty and the other 2 were years outside of it, yes its not good at all, however I really think it depends on your relationship with your dealer, I've never once had to pay for one to be replaced, same with heated grips, cam chain tensioners and other bits.

Yes dealers are expensive but when you work with them rather than against they can be very helpful and be on your side when it comes to faults

I've had 5 different models of BMW and each one has had switch issues, 2 bikes were in warranty and the other 2 were years outside of it, yes its not good at all, however I really think it depends on your relationship with your dealer, I've never once had to pay for one to be replaced, same with heated grips, cam chain tensioners and other bits.

Yes dealers are expensive but when you work with them rather than against they can be very helpful and be on your side when it comes to faults

This is my experience too. Lind Norwich bent over backwards to try and fix my Gen2 when out of warranty and not stick me with huge labour costs from their investigations, in the end they got most of it paid for as a warranty job citing a factory install fault as being the root cause. I had to be patient but it paid to be.

Touch-wood, not had a switch gear failure to date. If the switchgear is from a known batch which fails they usually can be talked into gratis replacements. They changed supplier in 2016 I think...

My bike wouldn’t start when hot and has been at the dealer for 3 days to find the fault. Turns out it’s the battery that was losing voltage and this isn’t covered by warranty.
?300 later and my bike starts.
Hey ho, I got a nice smile from the girl at reception :fat:

Yeah, battery is ?120 ish. The rest is time...
Mind you, it took me 5 minutes to walk down the red carpet and dust off the rose petals from the bike.

TBH, I’m happy it’s fixed but I’ve cancelled my track day which was tomorrow, it’s not track ready and the bike was being picked up after work.
Roll on the next one.

?120 for a battery !! +?180 labour inc vat I'd like to see the bill there must be more to it than just a faulty battery surely

My bike wouldn’t start when hot and has been at the dealer for 3 days to find the fault. Turns out it’s the battery that was losing voltage and this isn’t covered by warranty.
?300 later and my bike starts.
Hey ho, I got a nice smile from the girl at reception :fat:

That is just not correct, the battery is covered under 2 year bmw warranty and extended warranty the last time I checked, unless they have changed the rules?

I am glad your issue is resolved by the dealer but it does not sound right to me. If the battery was losing charge it would have failed every morning. Hope it is sorted though....

I?ll look at the invoice tonight when I?m home. I put it down to the time spent as apparently they couldn?t find any faults for a few days when testing.

Last edited:
For electrical gremlins in bike or car my first port of call is a new battery if old one more than 1 year old.

My dealer bought secondhand s1000rr died on first ride one week after purchase due to dud battery. Died at first set of lights after turning on the heated grips.

Went straight to Halfrods & bought new one & has been fine since (18
Months on). Didn't even think of a warranty claim as I think of batteries as consumable items.

As the others have said, I?m glad your bike is sorted now @Loupe though I?m sorry to hear the bill was steeper than anticipated.
Fingers crossed for many trouble free miles ahead now!

I?m not sure on the warranty status for batteries, however when mine was playing up I was not offered a replacement under the extended warranty

I might have been cheaper getting Huge up here to give me a push again every time it wouldn't start...
I never thought about buying a battery first as I really didn't think that it was the problem. Switchgear would be covered by warranty and that's why I took it to the dealer.
Anyway, it's fixed and I can go out again by myself without wondering if I'll get home without a recovery truck.

Back