Can't align front BST wheel

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
Hi

So finally got to fit BST wheels to 2016 model today and ran into a problem.

I can't center the front wheel, it shifts too much to left side as I tighten the axle. The bush on left side sits all way into the fork and there is no way to push it even further. As result, i can't fit left side caliper (right side fits fine).

If I flip the wheel 180degrees I'm able to center it by moving bush out a bit.

So questions are:

1. Are BST wheel symmetrical? According to manual they are not. It has pictures of left and right hand sides and you can clearly see how spikes are positioned.

2. Am I missing a spacer for left side? (Again, the manual says front wheel comes with S1000RR adaptor)

The wheel in question is 7004 if this helps.

None of this is an issue with OEM front. I just put it in (left side bush is all way in) and it fits perfectly fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Attached photos of the wheel.

As you can see on attached diagram, I think got left and right sides correctly.
c8da1e890e89f6125b19705107f8c518.jpg
e8dd0306f207be340601113ffffe0297.jpg
ec3c442c0d0dfde400cfc7de0f8c949a.jpg

Can I flip front axle? Will it fit correctly?

I think your best bet is to wait to call bikehps,

They are the main dealer in the UK who supply BST wheels. Mine went on no problems but then again it wasnt me fitting them >.<

I did buy wheels from them and Giles told me if I have alignment issues, just move axle left or right by loosening pinch bolts.

The problem is that when I tighten axle to 50nm it pushes the wheel too much to the left. The left side bush sits fully flush already.

It does look like bearing isn't fit properly on the wheel...

BST Wheels

They should just mount straight in without any issues. The following parts were supplied with my BST front wheel however I am using HP front brake discs, and not the standard discs found on the OEM cast wheels, so my adapters are different. The part numbers supplied with my front wheel (rim type 7004) are listed below.

7004 Front Wheel 17.0 x 3.5
BMW HP 4 FWL Adapter 21009-7000-19-000-A
BMW HP 4 FWR Adapter 21009-7000-19-001-A

They should only be mounted one way based on the wheel adapters that come supplied fitted. The only thing that you should need to do is fit your front brake discs before mounting the wheel. Do not attempt to flip the front axle as it is designed to be inserted one way. If your wheels match the pictures on the parts list you shouldn't be having any fitting issues.

Re: BST Wheels

They should just mount straight in without any issues. The following parts were supplied with my BST front wheel however I am using HP front brake discs, and not the standard discs found on the OEM cast wheels, so my adapters are different. The part numbers supplied with my front wheel (rim type 7004) are listed below.

7004 Front Wheel 17.0 x 3.5
BMW HP 4 FWL Adapter 21009-7000-19-000-A
BMW HP 4 FWR Adapter 21009-7000-19-001-A

They should only be mounted one way based on the wheel adapters that come supplied fitted. The only thing that you should need to do is fit your front brake discs before mounting the wheel. Do not attempt to flip the front axle as it is designed to be inserted one way. If your wheels match the pictures on the parts list you shouldn't be having any fitting issues.

I ordered it with BREMBO S1000RR/SPORT 10> SERIE ORO 320MM FRONT DISC

If I look at BST drawing, it lists:

adaptors:

BMW S1000RR FWL/FWR Adaptor Rev B (21007-7000-19-000/001-B)

and one thing that I dont understand:

BMW HP2 SPORT Brake Carrier LH (21004-7000-19-004-A)

I'm not sure if this is a mistake, or HP2 brake carrier can fit S1000RR 2016 model too....

Basically, I tried many things to fit the wheel today, the bottom line:

1. I can fit it, if I flip the wheel

2. I could have fit it, if I had a longer bush in left fork (OEM already sits flush)

Otherwise, it the wheel is misaligned to left fork's side. More pics:

Left fork:
IMG_20180527_163157.jpg

It's difficult to see on the photo, but ABS disk touches the sensor.

Right fork:
IMG_20180527_163148.jpg

I can't fit left fork's side caliper

IMG_20180527_163255.jpg

By the look of it, I just need a longer bush/spacer in a left fork and everything will fit perfectly well.

Have you got the left and right spacers in the correct side? Sounds daft but simple is often correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What spacers do you mean?

In the forks I have a spacer/bush in the left leg, it sits fully in. In the right leg, there is no spacer from what I see, just the axle.
Have you got the left and right spacers in the correct side? Sounds daft but simple is often correct

So the problem is that a front wheel was assembled for a different motorcycle. Getting an exchange at HPS tomorrow.

Thank you guys for input!

BST Wheels

Well that would explain why it doesn?t slot straight in like it?s meant to!

What spacers do you mean?

In the forks I have a spacer/bush in the left leg, it sits fully in. In the right leg, there is no spacer from what I see, just the axle.

Doh. My gixxer has them both sides and that also might be the rear. Glad it's sorted

As I understood that, wheels were assembled at BST factory... HPS was very helpful to deliver a replacement to Donny, as I'm doing a track day today.
ffs the service in this country is getting worse

BST Wheels

As I understood that, wheels were assembled at BST factory... HPS was very helpful to deliver a replacement to Donny, as I'm doing a track day today.

I believe BST wheels are made in South Africa. That?s very good service from HPS and you were definitely lucky they had one in stock as I had a 3 week lead time for mine.

Re: BST Wheels

Indeed. Very happy with HPS service.
I believe BST wheels are made in South Africa. That?s very good service from HPS and you were definitely lucky they had one in stock as I had a 3 week lead time for mine.

This is interesting, I’m having the exact same issue with my front BST. I’ve only just noticed it now because I tried to fit M4 callipers and the left side of both discs slight rub on the inside of the callipers it’s as if the wheel needs to move over to the offshore abou 2-3mm

Does the wheel make one full revolution when you soon it hard?
This is interesting, I?m having the exact same issue with my front BST. I?ve only just noticed it now because I tried to fit M4 callipers and the left side of both discs slight rub on the inside of the callipers it?s as if the wheel needs to move over to the offshore abou 2-3mm

Does the wheel make one full revolution when you soon it hard?

Yes , but only just .
I?ve emailed HPS but I bought the wheels second hand so not sure if they?ll help me. I?ll be interested in how your issue gets sorted and what the difference is with the new wheel they send you

Back