Chain snapped - advice please.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeouch
When metal is ripped away there's no going back.
You need to get a dealership/mechanic to assess it.

- Alex

It was about 200 yards back down the road and had been driven over by 100 cars and HGV?s by the time I had got back and risked life and limb to get it. This is what it?s like now. I?m no expert on this stuff...

472016b197327506ae6efbe9c360f0fd.jpg

Mine chain has done 12000 miles and I?m going to renew it, when you buy an after market chain they will tell you to change it every 6k!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The light coloured metal thing in the original picture is the case saver. It sits around the outside of the chain to protect the engine. Clearly it has failed to do its job. It looks as though it has moved out of position which is not how they are designed so I wonder if one of the bolts holding it has failed if the chain was a bit loose.

Is that front sprocket cover oem, hard to tell for sure?

A departed friend of mine had a chain go on his yammy and it ripped his engine apart and nearly took his leg off. You are very lucky to be ok.

My oem chain was good for 14k miles (steel) and only replaced it when it started to not flex at every pin.

Yep sprocket cover was OEM. Bike is now at dealer for assessment next week. Will see what they have to say, his instinctive reaction was... ?if it?s an insurance job could be a write off? given what you see in that picture plus a few cosmetic marks on inside of swingarm etc, plus it?s taken out a bit of wiring that?s part of the loom. However he also said, if you want to keep it it might be ok providing sprocket cover only sits on 3 bolts going forward, because the wire from the loom could be repaired, the swingarm marks aren?t a structural problem etc etc.... That was all based on a 30 second assessment and obviously he wants to have a good look at that casing so will see what he says when they?ve had a proper look.

Very sorry to hear of the chain failure @RacersEdge
As the others have said, first and foremost I?m glad you and your significant other are alright.

I hope you?re back on two wheels again in the not too distant future [emoji256]

Reading through all this stuff that others have said you and your Mrs are very lucky to come away relatively unscathed. Glad you're both ok. On the bike side , fingers crossed it's not too expensive a fix , hopefully it looks a lot worse than it is and as has been mentioned on here many times, if you've taken it back to the same dealer you bought it from and serviced it they might cut you a bit of slack when it comes to the final bill. On a side note , what is a general mileage you'd expect from an OEM chain on these bikes ridden on the road " enthusiastically " at times ?

I am Glad to hear you are both ok from that chain snapping.
Any make of chain can snap I guess.
My chain what come on the bike from new felt like was made of cheese
stretched so much. So I replaced with a nice did chain.

It was about 200 yards back down the road and had been driven over by 100 cars and HGV?s by the time I had got back and risked life and limb to get it. This is what it?s like now. I?m no expert on this stuff...

472016b197327506ae6efbe9c360f0fd.jpg

That?s not right the pins are the hardest part of a chain and the normal wear is burs on the plate fine blanking. Im a boring engineer who works on engine timing chains!

And with the mileage that?s not a wear issue due to maintenance etc.

Service should have checked the chain as an advisory and always check sprocket pull off not just free play.

Your lucky could have had you off or a scar for you and your mrs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gents, thank you for all your comments... a little more advice please. The dealer called and whilst an insurance job would indeed be big money, the actual cost if I ignore the engine casings and small marks inside the swing arm could certainly be a lot worse. I?m trying to avoid a second write off in two years hence not particularly wanting to go the insurance route. The casing isn?t leaking and I?m told it?s ok. The casing is obviously a certain thickness for a reason so my question is, any risk long term from that? No risk of the casing becoming a problem when it gets hot etc etc?? Anything I should be thinking about?

If you can't mount the chain protector, do you want to take the risk?

I think you should speak with Phil Crowe when he's done with the TT.

A) he'll price you an engine
B) he'll give you some non-BMW advice / race experience

- Alex

I should have checked the chain protector could be fitted. Will do that thanks. Although I guess if it goes again (but it had better not strike twice) and takes out the engine then it?s definitely an insurance job.

I should have checked the chain protector could be fitted. Will do that thanks. Although I guess if it goes again (but it had better not strike twice) and takes out the engine then it?s definitely an insurance job.
Would the insurance pay out if it was 'obviously' previously damaged?

Sorry, just trying to think of weasel ways out of paying up.

- Alex

Thank gawd both ok..... I replaced my chain at 13k, but not because the chain was stretched or worn, the front sprocket was sharp as a tack. I was heading for Almeria and really didn’t want to think about that tearing down the straight. Of course, new front sprocket means new rear and chain, they all wear together and there’s no point in doing otherwise. The photo does show extreme stress on that pin, that can’t be lorry run over damage, it has to be a catastrophic failure in situ? I can only think that it suddenly stretched enough to jump the sprockets (unlikely) or it was too tight to carry a pillion and the geometry of a larger bump/extra weight just snapped it. Was it adjusted a bit too tight?
I hate a loose chain, really irritating, but better that than less than designed for. How recently was it adjusted?

Back