Rider modes on 2011 bike

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wull

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I?ve been reading up on this over the last few days and got conflicting information as usual, the manual itself isn?t overly clear and literature I?ve found online seems to be inaccurate. I?m purely just wanting to know for the sake of knowing.

from what I can gather,

Rain mode is limited power to 150 bhp via throttle control etc, full dtc and abs with anti rear wheel lift.

sport is full power but with less throttle response, slightly less input from dtc and abs but still has anti rear wheel lift.

race is full power and full throttle response, again slight less dtc and abs input and now the rear wheel can lift but there?s still abs on the rear wheel??

slick is madness mode.

now there?s anti-wheelie through them all with the latter 2 allowing 5 secs etc I think.

now one piece that I found contradicts this just on the wheelie front, it states that the last 2 settings there is no anti wheelie. I?ll add a pic.

this is from the manual......

SPORT: The engines full power is available in this mode. Power increase when you open the throttle is greater than in RAIN mide, but engine response is still reserved.

RACE: RACE is the sportiest mode available without the coding plug inserted. Power increase and engine response are the same as in SPORT mode. Response to rider input , however, is considerably more direct.

Now to me that?s not touching on there being a difference in throttle response between SPORT & RACE as it states power and engine response as being the same between them both. The above picture though states the SPORT mode as having 5% throttle dampening and RACE as having no throttle dampening.

which is it?

I?ll be honest I haven?t ridden in Race that much and on a few occasions I tried SPORT & RACE back to back to try and notice the difference with the throttle and tbh I?m not too sure, it definitely felt more ?jerky? around town etc. I?ve yet to try SLICK which I?m going to just to experience it.

Last edited:
Engine map (fuel & ignition) is not the same as throttle mapping. The damping tries to smooth out your inputs whilst giving all the engine has to offer.

- Alex

2014 the only modes i use are rain and slick.

If it is dry then slick is the only mode that allows a decent throttle application without cutting the power on/off as the anti wheelie does its thing. Sport and race modes are like riding a pogo stick if you give any beans.

2014 the only modes i use are rain and slick.

If it is dry then slick is the only mode that allows a decent throttle application without cutting the power on/off as the anti wheelie does its thing. Sport and race modes are like riding a pogo stick if you give any beans.
I find race ideal for road riding, i get the odd flicker from the tc and find the throttle response very nice. Only thing i dont like about slick is the complete lack of engine braking. On track thats ok but on the roads i like to have some

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’ve been using the Race mode most of the time now and I’m still not overly convinced about the throttle response, maybe expecting too much. I prefer the Sport mode whilst in town and heavily built up areas as it’s clearly smoother with throttle inputs, I’ve yet to try Slick so I’ll try that next time.

Im maybe being too reserved with my throttle input whilst in Race mode and should be a bit more aggressive with opening the throttle, within reason that is, I don’t want my next reply on here to be from a hedge somewhere lol!

I?ve been using the Race mode most of the time now and I?m still not overly convinced about the throttle response, maybe expecting too much. I prefer the Sport mode whilst in town and heavily built up areas as it?s clearly smoother with throttle inputs, I?ve yet to try Slick so I?ll try that next time.

Im maybe being too reserved with my throttle input whilst in Race mode and should be a bit more aggressive with opening the throttle, within reason that is, I don?t want my next reply on here to be from a hedge somewhere lol!

Slick mode has noticeably more throttle response when riding, essentially it is the closest to a 1-1 response out of all available modes. It is important to note that there is essentially no wheelie control, no ABS at the rear and less engine breaking than in Race and Sport modes.

It is also important to note that the throttle response when pulling away will always have a slight ?lag? in comparison to non-fuel injected bikes, but this is merely a feature of the ride-by-wire throttle.

RR?s do have rather long travel throttles, so you may wish to consider a quick action throttle in future, as used in conjunction with the Race mode might be your ideal setup

Slick mode has noticeably more throttle response when riding, essentially it is the closest to a 1-1 response out of all available modes. It is important to note that there is essentially no wheelie control, no ABS at the rear and less engine breaking than in Race and Sport modes.

It is also important to note that the throttle response when pulling away will always have a slight “lag” in comparison to non-fuel injected bikes, but this is merely a feature of the ride-by-wire throttle.

RR’s do have rather long travel throttles, so you may wish to consider a quick action throttle in future, as used in conjunction with the Race mode might be your ideal setup

This? Quick search shows reviews saying it transformed the bike.

https://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/i...eav72uj55n6pudvhde1282&cPath=393_559_594_596&

alpha Racing

The cheapest place to buy alpha Racing parts is from Prime Factors Racing.

I take it they cant be used with heated grips?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back