Battery cactus - 2 years and 12 days

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobo

Reaction score
Has anyone had their battery die (voltage ok but won?t turn over the bike) just after warranty expiration and have had it replaced by BMW at no cost?

I?m in Australia so we only have 2 year warranty and don?t get the extended warranty you guys have the option for.

For the record, I?ve spoken to the BMW dealership I purchased the bike from, and who also have serviced it ever since, and they won?t be replacing it as the bike is out of warranty. I?ve been onto BMW Australia head office and going down that route as we speak.
I have also checked terminals (tight) and checked voltage (12.3/12.4v).

Just curious of others experiences with batteries as I know it?s a consumable part, but 2 years from brand new in a brand new bike seems a bit of a joke to me.

Mine didn't even last a year, but obviously that was replaced under warranty. I that's not much help to you, good luck with trying to get a replacement foc.

The lack of goodwill being demonstrated is pretty poor.
They could easily use a frame that is in warranty to make the claim for you.

- Alex

The lack of goodwill being demonstrated is pretty poor.
They could easily use a frame that is in warranty to make the claim for you.

- Alex

That's ok until that frame needs one as well lol. I would imagine BMW will offer some sort of goodwill towards it.

Battery life is very dependent on use. Lead acid batteries need to be regularly charged for long life. If left discharged they die. I treat batteries as a consumable item & expect to replace every couple of years.

Last edited:
FWIW I bought a new battery myself as BMW Australia wanted me to take bike to dealer for diagnosis before they would comment further, which would have meant time off work to wait for either tow truck or roadside assistance to jump start and then ride bike in, leave it there or wait and get back home blah blah.

Also didn?t want to get stung with a possible ?diagnosis fee?.

Too much stuffing around required.

On the plus side, I don?t lose my lean angle readouts anymore when starting the bike (terminals were tight), so that could be an ?early warning? of your battery on its way out.
QS is massively improved after doing the reset with the new battery in.

Back