Pirelli Superbike slicks

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
I had a chat with on of Pirelli UK guys at CSL @ Brands hatch regarding Superbike slicks. He says if you not pushing the limits on track it's very difficult to keep these tires at right operating temperature. So in most cases they get destroyed pretty quickly.
He advised to use Supercorsa instead of Superbike for trackdays.

Does anyone have any experience with these slicks?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Pirelli Superbike Slicks

Like any slick tyres you need to keep up the pace to retain heat and generate grip. This is particularly so with Pirelli slicks. It is also well known that they do not last long at all! For this reason you don?t see them being used very often on both trackdays and club racing. That and they are notoriously expensive.

Dunlop D212 Racer's for the win in this situation.
Technically DOT legal and do not need warmers...if you're happy waste a few laps.
Cheaper than Pirelli's too

- Alex

Last edited:
The guy said, if you can't maintain +5 seconds to BSB speed, there is no point using pirelli slicks basically.
it depends on your pace if your 20 seconds off the pace use road tyres , supercora road? race tyres ? race are the same as slicks with treads, bit easier to keep heat but again if your not fast enough for them you will loose heat, and grip

Thanks a lot of advice!

Running them at Donny today, they are really good. Stick very well.

What pressure do you run in rear normally? 20psi after warmers?
Dunlop D212 Racer's for the win in this situation.
Technically DOT legal and do not need warmers...if you're happy waste a few laps.
Cheaper than Pirelli's too

- Alex

As per the link I stick to the manufacters settings.
GP RACER Front
2.30 ~ 2.40bar HOT

GP RACER D212/SLICK 190/55ZR17, 200/55ZR17
Rear
1.35 ~ 1.45 bar HOT

As per the link I stick to the manufacters settings.
GP RACER Front
2.30 ~ 2.40bar HOT

GP RACER D212/SLICK 190/55ZR17, 200/55ZR17
Rear
1.35 ~ 1.45 bar HOT

And stupid me, ran rear 24psi HOT today and got a cold tear on the right side towards the end of day at Donny :(
Although, it might be just Donny...

Got a picture? Would be good to see.

Do you know the track temp?

(Premier Members can upload photo's BTW)

Got a picture? Would be good to see.

Do you know the track temp?

(Premier Members can upload photo's BTW)

Sorry, took a while to make photos. Not sure about the track temp unfortunately, is there anyway to look on internet ?
It was pretty hot during the day, maybe around 22-25C.

IMG_20180530_204534.jpg

IMG_20180530_204542.jpg

suspension to much rebound i would say dont flip it will only spitt you off on a left hander , tyre flooked

forgot to add, A&S tire guy at Donny checked rear rebound and it was okay he said.

It's likely the pressure. Dunlop's guidance is 20psi HOT for D212 Racer slick, I ran it (for some unknown to me reason) - 24psi HOT.

Last edited:
Dunlop

Dunlop rear track tyres are designed to be used with very low hot pressures. Too high and you can easily destroy a rear tyre.

dunlop kr slicks usually run 22 hot so 2 psi may make a difference but thats a mess, what did guy at track do bounce bike up and down, if you went out again and take some rebound off , if it cleans up its been that,

To be fair it was my mistake, I've run the whole day without even looking at rear wear. Only at the end of the day I noticed a cold tear.
so I asked a tyre guy to look at it, he did bounce back up and down and said that rebound is fine.

It kind of make sense that it's purely a pressure issue. the rear was +4 to Dunlop's guide. Plus Donny is right-turn track mainly.

Back