New bike, first euro venture, luggage nightmares!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRH72

Reaction score
Total novice here. Had my new S1K for three weeks now. One word, awesome. Booked tickets to Assen for MotoGP. Bought Frank Thomas fabric saddle bags (as the bike in the show room had saddle bags). The ?80 Frank Thomas https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/132067640514 ones are a bit droopy compared to the ?600 BMW ones but I thought would do for a short trip.

Two problems/concerns:

1. How do I protect the paint?
2. What is the likelihood of heat from the exhaust setting my luggage (and therefore me and my my new bike) on fire;

Is the solution to bite down hard and buy the Kriega tail bag to keep the luggage away from the exhaust?

I and a few others on here have Hepko & Becker luggage plate that fits in place of the pillion pad / seat cowl and Kriega packs. They are well worth the money and if you sell either of them you'll get a fair amount of it back.

I thoroughly recommend the hepco and becker luggage plate and kriega packs. All fitted correctly the luggage plate keeps the packs away from the bike so no rubbing. Have had 80L of luggage and sleeping bag strapped onto rear with no issues several times. Just don?t switch off the anti wheelie lol
9e15e561792732667d7abe1b38c93553.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Total novice here. Had my new S1K for three weeks now. One word, awesome. Booked tickets to Assen for MotoGP. Bought Frank Thomas fabric saddle bags (as the bike in the show room had saddle bags). The ?80 Frank Thomas https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/132067640514 ones are a bit droopy compared to the ?600 BMW ones but I thought would do for a short trip.

Two problems/concerns:

2. What is the likelihood of heat from the exhaust setting my luggage (and therefore me and my my new bike) on fire;

Is the solution to bite down hard and buy the Kriega tail bag to keep the luggage away from the exhaust?

Hi DRH,
Bite the bullet mate and just buy the kriega kit and if you can the H&B plate. It?s awesome stuff that you will pay a little more for but you?ll not have any worries about damage to your bike and it?ll last years.
Ps I?m off to the Assen GP to and picking the ferry up from Newcastle. How you getting over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the ventura rack and bag. belter of a set up, and quick to remove from the bike. Keeps bags well clear of the paint work

Same here - having heard from the likes of Immortal and others, decided to go the Venture route. Team Roberts in Rotherham did me a cracking deal on a full setup. I'm off on Thursday (24th) to Portsmouth->Caen then the following day, blurting around France and meeting my business partner at his gaff in Limoges. From there (a few days & hangovers later), i'm off across country to Florence. Hoping the Venture luggage holds up well.

I've been out a few times with the rack and bag on, and it's hardly noticeable .. the only issue for me being my clumsy comedy mount and dismount of the bike.

The nice thing is that I get to keep the pillion seat with a 1 minute rotation of the rack (180 degrees so the bag hangs off the back, not over the seat) or a 1.5 min exchange of the rack for the grab rail. I put the grab rail in the bottom of the bag so when i get to where i need to be, i can take the rack off and go for a blurt with a pillion.

Starting to get the feeling I may have scrimped and saved too much.

RE: Assen, we are catching the Eurotunnel on Friday evening with a short stop over in Ostend, then early rise and straight to track for Saturday monring. Coming back Monday through a few war memorials hopefully.

Starting to get the feeling I may have scrimped and saved too much.

RE: Assen, we are catching the Eurotunnel on Friday evening with a short stop over in Ostend, then early rise and straight to track for Saturday monring. Coming back Monday through a few war memorials hopefully.

Wish I was a bit closer to that tunnel as it?s a hell of a lot cheaper than the ferry. Anyway me an the mrs are over from the Friday to the Tuesday so might see you kicking around in Assen on Saturday evening as I believe it?s a hell of a party. [emoji1305]

I and a few others on here have Hepko & Becker luggage plate that fits in place of the pillion pad / seat cowl and Kriega packs. They are well worth the money and if you sell either of them you'll get a fair amount of it back.
This is the best solution IMO

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

You guys are crazy with the amount of luggage you take for euro trip.

I've done probably 20 trips across Como/Stelvio/Dolomites on SuperDuke 1290R and has always been using SW Motech Panniers.

They do make them for S1000RR as well.

Unless you're trying to carry your British house with you to the trip, these panniers have enough space for necessary stuff. They are 14-21 litters (with zip) on each side.

IMG_20170730_104508_HDR.jpg

I did my trip with Just a Kriega US30 dry pack, you can hook it under the pillion seat and away you go, none of the fasteners touched the plastics and held up remarkable well on the autobahn.

...Two problems/concerns:

Afternoon DR.
I bought some similar bags second hand and yes they're droopy. The below is a pic of the bike on my way up to NC500 last week. The other guys had all sorts of better kit than mine (those that actually rode an RR!), but then again I only paid ?25 for mine as I'm not a tourer. If I was, I'd follow the advice on here.
In answer to your questions:
1. The paint is likely to suffer if the bags touch and move on the paintwork. I'm going to re-paint mine next year. so I'm not bothered (BTW I can't see any damage yet after two long test runs and the NC500).
2. The bottom of the pannier above the can didn't get noticeably hot, even when it was running on the side-stand.

I would recommend that you suck it and see with a day trip test run or two before you set off (full and half full as they'll behave differently).

I tied the carrying handles across the top of the pillion seat which pulled them together so they wouldn't flop around. I think the bigger problem on my cheap set up is when they were half empty they flapped a bit when really "pressing on". Near the legal limit they were fine though.

Photo 18-05-2018, 11 26 39.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. Returned the Frank Thomas saddle bags and the shop assistance wrestled the extra dosh out of me for the Kriega US30. Bit tricky fitting without the Becker kit but seemed solid enough when fixed beneath seat cowl and around standard not so tail tidy.

Back